mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fox 36 Float RC2 or Fox Float RLC 150 for a Jekyll Carbon 2?

I am now the proud owner of a 2012 Jekyll 2 Carbon. Being the owner of Claymore 3 as well I disliked the Talas 36 R
    fork and had it upgraded to a Float 36 RC2. I spoke to Fox and they can actually build me a Fox 36 RC2
    in 160mm length with a 1.5 steerer. Should I simply upgrade my Talas 150 to a Float RLC 150 or go full bore and upgrade the fork on the Jekyll 2 to a 1.5 Float RC2 160?

my church is the woods
    I've got to say that after pedaling into the ground so often on the Jekyll, if I had the money, I would put on the Fox 34 650/27.5" 160mm fork on this bike. Larger wheel, a bit slacker, and higher B.B. all would be a welcome upgrade for this rig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It sounds like you know your Jekyll well Moonraker. Ironically my Jekyll hasn't arrived yet and I opted for a completely different fork anyway. I spoke to Fox this Thursday and had them build the Float 36 RC2 1.5 for me. I wonder if there others on the Jekyll using the same fork.

There seems to be a growing interesting in 27.5. For now my go to bike is a 2011 Anthem X3 29er. The Anthem is a great bike and with exception of compression adjustability,which is why that fork is being outfitted with an RLC damper by Fox.

However with Anthem I just felt like I was missing something. In tight hairpins the Anthem felt like too much bike. Conversely on the speed descents,yes the Anthem was able to maintain control but I thought "I could certainly use more suspension".

Perhaps I've gone too far with my "Jekyll Motocarbon" and should have taken a more tentative and rational step such as buying a Jekyll 5 or even spending less and buying a discounted GT Force 3 and upgrading the hell out of it.

Ironically the worse thing about having a good or perhaps even a great bike is the knowledge that the greatest limit to performance is not the machine but the rider who uses it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    a mate of mine got a 160mm Fox Talas RC2 for his Jekyll. He loves it (changed from a 150mm Talas). I can't tell a massive difference between it and my 160mm 34 Talas CTD, but the beefier legs and 20mm TA are big wins.