mtbr member
    May 2007

flip the stem to change the angle?

Can you flip the stem over to get a little bit of a negative angle? I feel like I need to be a little more leaned forward when I ride. I have a Med Prophet 600, 2006. I tried the large, but it did not steer as tight and was just as upright. I have is set in XC mode.

Or, maybe I should look at a longer stem?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've done it on both my Rush and my Caffeine. Works great for me. All you can do is give it a try.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, they are made to be flippable. I also did it on my F1000.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Did it to my Delta V back in 1993, rode it that way for 13 years.
    I recall the LBS saying it would affect the bike geometry. The only change I noticed was that it was way more comfortable.Wow, I forgot all about that until I saw this post!
    In my case, I think the flip was opposite of what you're doing, as it's purpose was to put me a more upright.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool, I will give it a try and see if I like it better.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Flipping the stem worked well. It gave me a little better "leaned over" feel. It made the steering feel a little heavier, but I adjusted really quickly. That could have just been the trail that day too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I found this post while searching for information on flipping the lefty "si" stem to a negative angle. Is this the same stem that you guys are talking about flipping?

Without taking everything apart, it looks like the stem and steer tube are one solid piece. Are they? Can you flip the flip the lefty "si" stem to a negative angle?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by huge_pop
    I found this post while searching for information on flipping the lefty "si" stem to a negative angle. Is this the same stem that you guys are talking about flipping?

Without taking everything apart, it looks like the stem and steer tube are one solid piece. Are they? Can you flip the flip the lefty "si" stem to a negative angle?
    If you have the one piece stem/steerer, the SI XC3 stem, you can't since you would have to bend the stem... or cut it and weld it back together... You would have to get another one that is made with the negative rise... If your bike is new, you could maybe trade yours at your LBS where you bought the bike.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :