mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Is this a flaw / dent on my brand new trail SL1 29 top tube?

Hi everybody, I need please your expertise and kind feedback about the here below picture: I noted it on my brand new (2 days and only used twice without any fall or something else) trail SL1 29: is it a dent or a flaw on the top tube of the frame (cross line visible inside the red ellipse)? Or is it normal from manufacturing? Not easy to make the seller note it (he did not see it...) and I did not see it on a model exposed in the shop (difficult to take the right time to look at it though).
    Thanks for your help
    Cheers
    Emanuele
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a flaw / dent on my brand new trail SL1 29 top tube?-foto.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can't see a single blemish in the picture.
    Based on the picture, the bike looks perfect.
    Can you feel a dent or ding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the reply. It is hard to have it visible on a photo but you can more or less see that there is like a line perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the top tube and that causes a difference in the light reflex (e.g. Close to the white 29 on the left of the picture). It can be lightly felt by passing the hand on it. I wonder if it is the remainder of the connection between two pieces of tube, the one close to the saddle being conic like.
    this bothers me and I am writing to cannondale too.
    Other replies of yours and other people are evidently kindly welcome.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a flaw / dent on my brand new trail SL1 29 top tube?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by califfo1975 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It is hard to have it visible on a photo but you can more or less see that there is like a line perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the top tube and that causes a difference in the light reflex (e.g. Close to the white 29 on the left of the picture). It can be lightly felt by passing the hand on it. I wonder if it is the remainder of the connection between two pieces of tube, the one close to the saddle being conic like.
    Thanks
    If that truly bothers you then mountain biking probably isnt for you.... good luck
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    I understand and appreciate your concern... I bought a new carbon bike a few months ago and noticed some sort of "problem" where the frame had a strange pattern in it. I hemmed and hawed, but knew unless I followed up on it, it would drive me crazy as long as a I had the bike. I posted pictures on line and took the bike back to the shop. It turned out not to be an issue at all (they were able to show similar pattern changes on all the clear coat carbon bikes)...

My advice is, if it bugs you followup on it. Even if no one else appreciates it, or understands, chase it until you either get it changed or can live with the answer. A pre-existing issue has the potential to spoil your "bike love". You paid too much money for a new bike to just let it go. Yes, the bike will get banged up and scratched over time, but it should be perfect when you start.

We cant see anything in the pictures so we cant advise on it. You just have to make a decision on do you really think it is an issue, the handle it accordingly.

Good luck!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by califfo1975 View Post
    Thanks
    Step number 1 is talk to your dealer that you bought it from.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will try to look at other bikes and to have a chat with the seller just to better understand and to satisfy my curiosity. As said by xycarp it is normal to start with a perfect bike for each paid cent and i disagree with whom said that i do not deserve to mountain bike.
    I will keep you posted in case of.
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It is produced during the processing of carbon

Same thing at this bar

Carbon Lenker Riss oder nicht? - MTB-News.de - IBC

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zett78 View Post
    It is produced during the processing of carbon

Same thing at this bar

Carbon Lenker Riss oder nicht? - MTB-News.de - IBC
    Nice random guess, but its an aluminum framed bike
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If it's an aluminum frame, then it's quite possibly a blemish of some sorts on either the metal while it was stocked, or it could be one from the powdercoating process.
    If you cannot feel any indentation like the TT was bent/dinged then I would not worry too much about it. Unless you are such a stickler for things and any imperfection on the bike will bother you, then you would probably end up needing another hobby.

If the bike was purchased brand new from your LBS. Then it is still a new bike with a warranty. If anything happens to the frame in that location when you are riding it, then you can contact Cannondale under warranty. However IMO, this would not be seen as a defect to the frame. Only a finish imperfection... So the likelihood of a replacement for this would be dismissed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    If the bike was purchased brand new from your LBS. Then it is still a new bike with a warranty. If anything happens to the frame in that location when you are riding it, then you can contact Cannondale under warranty. However IMO, this would not be seen as a defect to the frame. Only a finish imperfection... So the likelihood of a replacement for this would be dismissed.
    yes the bike is fully new and under warranty and I do not understand what it is. I can feel lightly that there is something on it but I cannot appreciate which kind of blemish it is. At the end I will live with it and at first deterioration of it I will recontact cannondale, the frame being life guaranteed. i am not paranoiac about it but I was pissed off the bike being new; I know that it will age but it is still flaming new still... Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have that on my top tube too. It is a mfg issue. Diff place though.
    Not the end of the world, but I was not too happy when I saw it. You will learn to live with it

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skewe View Post
    I have that on my top tube too. It is a mfg issue. Diff place though.
    Not the end of the world, but I was not too happy when I saw it. You will learn to live with it
    Thanks for the information: have you the same model as mine and would you have please a picture to share? did you contact cannondale and did they say something about it or that it remains only a cosmetic issue? I am in contact with them and awaiting a reply of theirs. I will let you know and thanks again.
    nevertheless I agree that it is soemthing I can absolutely live with but I want that it is recognized, since now, by cannondale as a blemish of manufacturing not affecting future warranty (the bike has 1 week of life...)
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think mine is slightly worst than yours, but after 3 years of riding. I don't worry about that anymore. Sorry, no pics.

Mine is a Cannondale F4 2010. It was the last year before they switched to the SL series. It is the same except different badging/naming.

If you are looking to protect your tubes, put some helicopter tape on it.
    It is transparent, and I used it for the chain stays too.

Pretty useful to protect the downtubes

Recent trail pictures, one year later on my Cannondale F4 mountain bike | EricEwe.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the info. I am awaiting cannondale expertise of sent pictures and I will see. Time is passing and I am getting used to it though...
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    All the best. Do keep this updated as to whether C does anything? I did not take it up with them but I know how you feel when you get a new toy and there is a dent. Like WTF, and that is not what I paid for....