Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

flash3 29er frame issues....

I tried to search for this and no hit, but does the flash 3 29er have a frame issue? Mine sure does.......I bought this bike in June/2010, less than 600 miles mostly on dirt roads and mellow singletrack. I pushed it a little more on a easy/moderate trail today and found this.

Now to see how well Cannondale backs their product up.........
    S

BDT
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    I had a Flash 1 (same frame, different paint) with about the same milage, but probably harder use. No problems, and I haven't heard of any.

Just curious, what is your seat post extension & weight? Not that it should do it at any rider weight & seatpost extension.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like a poor weld to me.

Any time you try to get consistency in a production hand-welding system there will be failures.

Hence the reason why almost every other manufacturer has moved to automated fabrication.

Our frame has a couple thousand and several endurance races on it with no problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The post was 8 inches out of the tube and on a 14 inch post. max mark on post is at 2 inches. Should have been plenty of post in the tube. I weigh around 230-235 and i think i am a pretty mellow rider. At 6'3 you dont do hucks, get air etc on a hardtail. Just hoping this is a one off issue, I really like how this bike rides and feels.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, it may be hard to get a 2010 frame as a replacement. The frames are different for 2011.

Loved the feel of my Flash 1 frame too. Perfect balance of compliance and stiffness. I thikn the 2011 are supposed to be a bit lighter though.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just dropped it off at LBS, well see where this goes. They were all kinda surprised about a crack/break. the firsy flash they have seen do this. I just want it back already.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i am currently awaiting my warranty to be resolved, it's been a number of months! anyway, while speaking directly to a warranty guy at c'dale, he said something that gave back my confidence in the brand...

"There is always a fine line to tread between weight, strength and of course, fitness for purpose and in striving to find the perfect balance of all these factors, no amount of testing can actually account for normal rider useage. Your warranty is there to ensure that, if we overstep or misjudge that line, you will not end up the victim of our mistake."

you'll be fine!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Very common for frames to crack there. I have cracked two there myself. Keep us posted on your warranty!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Someone said it has been a few months??? That seems excessive to me. Why hasn't Cannondale been quicker than that? I don't know everything, but it seems like that crack is their fault.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    Someone said it has been a few months??? That seems excessive to me. Why hasn't Cannondale been quicker than that?
    Transitioning between year models. Low stock (if any on '10's) and I bet most of the available '11's are already pre-sold.

mtbr member
    Warranty really should jump in line in front of pre sold, because technically, that warranty replacement frame was sold sometime last year.

I say this even though I'm waiting on a "pre sold" bike for myself. That's another story altogether though...

KC5
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My 2010 Flash 29er F2 (large frame) went back to the LBS with a crack in the same spot - along the top of the weld. It was a demo bike that I put 90 miles on since I bought it 2 months ago (If it matters, I'm 205lbs).

I brought it back this past Monday around noon & the shop called me that night saying they talked to Cannondale rep. Said they'll try to locate a replacement frame, but it could be 6 to 8 weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    KC5, you are having a better go at than we are. Took the bike in on monday at 9am Colorado time and left it there, LBS call and filed the warranty and sent pictures etc.. by noon. I personally called cannondale warranty (dareyl, i think) and he said he had talked to LBS and would get going on it. Since than several calls and email by LBS and nothing. no return calls, no status, nothing. The LBS (Littleton Cyclyery) has been the best to work with and are making sure I have another bike to continue to get my rides in, however I am losing faith in cannondale. Hopefully something will get figured out soon and the wait is not to long, 2-3 months is un satisfactory in my book.

mtbr member
    Just checked my 2010 flash-3 29er, so far so good, keeping my fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hate to be a one of those upset guys....but.... My problem (same exact bike) was with a dented seat stay and very unhappy with the way it was handled on the part of Cannondale. I am a very light rider and feel that this thing dented too easily on a very light spill. Granted my situation was a mixture of dumb luck and denting the bike in the thinest part of the frame but still expected more from them. I would think that your issue is cut and dry and they should send you a new frame but them taking the reigns and doing it may take a little longer. I got offered a crash replacement frame (1 month old bike) for 25% off retail which i thought was a joke and no more USA frames so i have to wait till December for my 2011 frame. I was told that they only will have the Black gloss frame.

As a faithful Cannondale customer for years, this issue has made me no longer want to purchase another product from them. Whats worse is that Specialized offered me a comparable frame for the same price as the Cannondale crash replacement frame and retail on that was only $30 cheaper than the Cannondale. My next bike was going to be a '11 Claymore but now i will be getting a Specialized SX Trail. Oh well, guess thats how the ball bounces.
    Hope all works out for you and they take care of the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    meSSican, I think you're faulting Cannondale too much. A crash is a crash, all bets are off -with any manufacturer- when that happens. Even with a 'light' crash the frames are not really designed to take impacts like that. Steel may be the answer for you if you want something that can take a crash...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was not faulting Cannondale for my "crash". Like i had said, I am disappointed with their service. Before they became a big company i am positive they would have handled the situation with respect and care. If they don't care, then i will go to another company and i will be happy and they won't even notice. I was sharing my experience with a fellow bike owner and hope he will get taken care of, thats all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    UPDATE:

Nothing, Seems these frames are ready to go but they need to be painted.(yeah right, they said this over 2 weeks ago and still waiting) Un believable shitty service from Cannondale. I should have went with niner or the big S company if I wanted true customer service. I even tried to talk/inquire about going with carbon frame vs alloy and they would not even give the time of day to me and I think they gave lbs the run around. Anyone want a new 29er in a few months. If this is the way this company is going to treat their customers I hope not to see them around in the future. Good luck Shitty company.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah like i posted above im in the same crappy boat with ya. Had i known this i would have gone with Specialized for sure. Cannondale greatness is a thing of the past...... RIP great service. They told me end of November early December for a frame which is awhile from now but i dont think any of their '11 bikes are out yet, at least at my LBS they are not.

$1400 for a '10 Flash 3 with '11 frame anyone?

KC5
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KC5
    My 2010 Flash 29er F2 (large frame) went back to the LBS with a crack in the same spot - along the top of the weld. It was a demo bike that I put 90 miles on since I bought it 2 months ago (If it matters, I'm 205lbs).

I brought it back this past Monday around noon & the shop called me that night saying they talked to Cannondale rep. Said they'll try to locate a replacement frame, but it could be 6 to 8 weeks.
    Update: LBS told me yesterday that my replacement frame will ship 12-18-10

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican
    Hate to be a one of those upset guys....but.... My problem (same exact bike) was with a dented seat stay and very unhappy with the way it was handled on the part of Cannondale. I am a very light rider and feel that this thing dented too easily on a very light spill. Granted my situation was a mixture of dumb luck and denting the bike in the thinest part of the frame but still expected more from them. I would think that your issue is cut and dry and they should send you a new frame but them taking the reigns and doing it may take a little longer. I got offered a crash replacement frame (1 month old bike) for 25% off retail which i thought was a joke and no more USA frames so i have to wait till December for my 2011 frame. I was told that they only will have the Black gloss frame.

As a faithful Cannondale customer for years, this issue has made me no longer want to purchase another product from them. Whats worse is that Specialized offered me a comparable frame for the same price as the Cannondale crash replacement frame and retail on that was only $30 cheaper than the Cannondale. My next bike was going to be a '11 Claymore but now i will be getting a Specialized SX Trail. Oh well, guess thats how the ball bounces.
    So , basically you are a bit of a klutz and you crash ,and because Cannondale won't give you a frame for nothing ,although you crashed and it was your fault ,you are dissing them on this forum . Please buy your Specailized and when you break that too, whine on their forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyNY
    So , basically you are a bit of a klutz and you crash ,and because Cannondale won't give you a frame for nothing ,although you crashed and it was your fault ,you are dissing them on this forum . Please buy your Specailized and when you break that too, whine on their forum.
    Yeah i wanted a frame for free and hand delivered by the CEO of the company, thats what i wrote. Their service sucks....thats what i was saying.

Tool
    Their service sucks....thats what i was saying.
    The problem is you haven't qualified that statement in many people's eyes.

Please do tell us what you were expecting C'dale to do.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What does the Cannondale crash replacement frame cost these days? Just curious. Or whats the retail cost for a Flash Alloy 29er frame?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast