mtbr member

FLASH Lefty user / XC Full Face Helmets: Casco Viper or MET Parachute

Hi Folks

I am doing much harder uphill followed by a tough gnarly, rocky etc downhill on my Flash Lefty. Curious if anyone is using these XC helmets, or would consider them. For the downhills element as we have trees, rocks and usual dangers I would be grateful of your experiences. Here are two hemlets I read about.

Casco Viper MX review: CASCO VIPER MX - BikeRadar

MET Parachute review: Met Parachute - BikeRadar

Cheers

WallSt.

Helmetless Crasher
    I would consider it IF the conditions/riding warranted it. I did some rocky DHish riding a few months back and wished I had face protection. Busted my mouth pretty good . . .
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    In fact this is my no.1 consideration, the rocky terrain and others I plan to hit and jaw and face protection would be good, moreover from the terrains trees on steep sections. I dont do just downhill but first ride up, around the mountains in Jura canton Vaud, Suisse. The rocky parts are the only concern. Touch wood I have not fallen yet. A number of near misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    I would consider it IF the conditions/riding warranted it. I did some rocky DHish riding a few months back and wished I had face protection. Busted my mouth pretty good . . .

mtbr member
    Here is a 3rd one I found: Cratoni Maniac Helmet Reviews

The Cratoni Maniac. Seems to be sold out in most of the UK. Its much cheaper than the other two helmet. After much research online. I can sum up to state that the MET Parachute has little padding and is more flimsy. I spoke to a few XC all mountain hard tailers and full sussers and they prefer the Casco Viper MX for its full rear coverage, comfort, chin guard when you go over the handlebars on roots and rocks.

The cratoni is mid range and value for money. Not as strong I was told as the Casco Viper but better than the Parachute.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't imagine doing stuff that demands a fullface helmet, on a Flash...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    I can't imagine doing stuff that demands a fullface helmet, on a Flash...
    XC, all mountain, no jumps but going downhill on rocks can get tricky. So it's for specific routes not all the time these are not proper FF helmets a XC related with a fairly rigid chin bar. The weakest helmet are the MET parachute.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Casco Viper is an excellent helmet, is provides good protection, the air flows thru the helmet better than other helmets I had, the construction of the helmet feels nice and chin guard is thick and feels like it can take a good hit. The Casco Viper was to me the best helmet I had. The problem for Casco in general not only Casco Viper, is the Disk Fit adjuster and the cables. (Disk Fit is the name Casco has for the helmet adjuster piece in the back of the head). The Disk Fit cables are made of a thick fishing line cable (yes, plastic). These transparent cables look very fashion and stylish. The problem I have with these cables is that one of them snapped for unknown reasons after three months of use. My Casco Viper helmet is still intact, I had not had a fall since I owned this helmet. I tried contacting Casco directly and so far I have not seen a response from them. After viewing closely at other Casco Helmets is clear to me that they use the Disk Fit technology in the rest of their helmets. I wish Casco will sell the inner parts for this helmet so I can repair my helmet. After spending $224 for a helmet, it really upsets me that the weakest part of this helmet is the rear adjusting strap.
    Last edited by AlabamaRider; 08-17-2013 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member

Interesting reply, I hope you get some help from the manufacturer. Don't email. Send an old fashioned letter but find their contact details first. Or call.

I have this helmet, it's fantastic, as I go uphill but then put this on for going down. It's as you stated: airy, light, feels secure and protective

I also bought a cratoni with a similar chin guard. It also feels airy and is good value for money. I have used both. Cratoni was better value but the Casco is better feeling and better made, it looks better for the fashion conscience too not really my concern as I want to sweat and ride hard

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

helmet

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Interesting reply, I hope you get some help from the manufacturer. Don't email. Send an old fashioned letter but find their contact details first. Or call.

I have this helmet, it's fantastic, as I go uphill but then put this on for going down. It's as you stated: airy, light, feels secure and protective

I also bought a cratoni with a similar chin guard. It also feels airy and is good value for money. I have used both. Cratoni was better value but the Casco is better feeling and better made, it looks better for the fashion conscience too not really my concern as I want to sweat and ride hard
    May I ask where you brought the helmet been trying to find online have no luck
    cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Try here

Quote Originally Posted by DTM23 View Post
    May I ask where you brought the helmet been trying to find online have no luck
    cheers
    Casco Viper MX Helmet from Velodrome Shop

mtbr member
    Another to consider, although looks more conventional.. Urge Archi-Enduro Fakejet Helmet 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I keep waiting for the day full face helmets become the norm at xc races. People die from head injuries that could be much less severe with a full helment. Sadly its just so damn hot.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaRider View Post
    Casco Viper is an excellent helmet, is provides good protection, the air flows thru the helmet better than other helmets I had, the construction of the helmet feels nice and chin guard is thick and feels like it can take a good hit. The Casco Viper was to me the best helmet I had. The problem for Casco in general not only Casco Viper, is the Disk Fit adjuster and the cables. (Disk Fit is the name Casco has for the helmet adjuster piece in the back of the head). The Disk Fit cables are made of a thick fishing line cable (yes, plastic). These transparent cables look very fashion and stylish. The problem I have with these cables is that one of them snapped for unknown reasons after three months of use. My Casco Viper helmet is still intact, I had not had a fall since I owned this helmet. I tried contacting Casco directly and so far I have not seen a response from them. After viewing closely at other Casco Helmets is clear to me that they use the Disk Fit technology in the rest of their helmets. I wish Casco will sell the inner parts for this helmet so I can repair my helmet. After spending $224 for a helmet, it really upsets me that the weakest part of this helmet is the rear adjusting strap.
    Just wanted to provide an update. I managed to fix the wire that came off the disk fit using loctite glue. Casco (the manufacturer) offered me a replacement of the internals for free, the only I had to pay was for the shipping. The internals of this helmet are also sold at Velodrome. Somewhere around October 2013 I had a nasty MTB accident. The Casco Viper Jaw attachment end up with a dent the size of a quarter and about half an inch deep. The jaw attachment and the helmet are solid believe me. Casco Viper MX saved my life, my teeth and my jaw. I can testify that Casco Viper is the best helmet for mounting biking period.