Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Flash Carbon Seatpost avaiable as aftermarket part?

Looking to put a Cannondale Flash seatpost on my '07 Taurine Team. Does anyone know if they are available as an aftermarket part and how much they would be to ship to UK?

Also does anyone know the length to minium insertion and also the amount of setback/layback in mm?

LA CHÈVRE
    Part numbers are:

KP124/GRN
    KP124/RED
    KP124/WHT

But, you would need a seatpost shim as the Taurine uses a 31.8 seatpost but the Flash uses a 27.2, the S.A.V.E. seatposts are only available in a 27.2 diameter. They're pretty long (over 400mm if I recall) and 90mm must be inserted in the frame.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Cannondale Flash seatpost

Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    they're made by USE aren't they, basically a sumo with a squashed post!?! the standard sumo has a 10mm lay back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Interested to see they come in red and white as well as Berseker Green. Was debating how well the green would go with the black and orange '07 colour scheme. any opinions? Do the white and red ones have the same graphics just in a different colour?

Also looking at the USE Sumo carbon it looks like the the Flash post has a bit more offset than 10mm?

Looking the cannondale-parts.de site it says 420mm so with 90mm min insertion this should give 330mm useable length? I'm running a Thomson Elite setback currently which is on the limit at 308mm and 16mm setback so want to be sure before I shell out 195Euro.

Can anyone recommend a supplier in the states who could ship one to the UK for a better price?

LA CHÈVRE
    The graphics are the same, the green lines are white instead.

Any Cannondale dealer should be able to order one for you. Maybe ask your's about a price quote?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyuk
    Looking to put a Cannondale Flash seatpost on my '07 Taurine Team. Does anyone know if they are available as an aftermarket part and how much they would be to ship to UK?

Also does anyone know the length to minium insertion and also the amount of setback/layback in mm?
    Speak to Alex at USE. They made some parts for my Flash seatpost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    and alex at USE will say...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Any Cannondale dealer should be able to order one for you. Maybe ask your's about a price quote?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Spoke to Alex at USE, they only make the head and clamp, Controltech makes the shaft and Cannondale bond it together.

I spoke to a UK delaer who say that the importer will not warranty the post when used with a shim (31.6mm reducing to 27.2mm) as it has not been fully tested, though in therory it should be OK. They have recent experience of someone experiencing slip when used with a plastic shim even when using carbon compound. Before I make a punt and lay out all that cash, I would appreciate if anyone has had experience of using cabon posts with the shim step down I need?

thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    Is it worth all the trouble? I mean, you get a bit more cush but add weight, add trouble, add cost while the Taurine is not all that unconfortable to begin with. I had one for a month or two and thought it was actually dealing pretty well with rough trails, there is a lot of rocks and roots around here... The frame is stiff but is pretty stable and smooth (for a racing hardtail).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you think this will add weight? I'm currently running a Thomson Elite 410mm Setback. Haven't seen any published weights for the Flash post but was assuming it would be marginally lighter.

I'm looking for the cush as I have 60K, 100K and 160K offroad events scheduled this year and don't want to go the whole hog on a Scalpel, as majority of riding the rest of the year doesn't warrant rear sus (real reason the wife won't let me add my collection )

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i had a fsa k force seat post with 25mm lay back on my taurine. i found it, though not the lightest in the world (who cares), it did flex a little and was V. comfortable.

160k off road, double up on the chamois cream.

LA CHÈVRE
    I think eliflap had the weight of the Flash seatpost (as well as riding impressions, check his Flash thread), it was well over 200gr if I recall, but that's a minor detail versus comfort, especially for a long event. I had a Syntace P6 Carbon on my Taurine, it was comfy too... but I think the saddle will be more important than the seatpost... and good cycling shorts/bibs of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Have looked at the FSA but I need 310-320mm useable length after min insertion. looks like the FSA only comes in 350mm so a bit short for my needs. Anyone suggest any other alternatives?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i'd imagine you would get an amount of flex on most carbon posts set at full height. why not try the sumo? good british company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spoke to Alex at USE, they only make the head and clamp, Controltech makes the shaft and Cannondale bond it together.

I spoke to a UK delaer who say that the importer will not warranty the post when used with a shim (31.6mm reducing to 27.2mm) as it has not been fully tested, though in therory it should be OK. They have recent experience of someone experiencing slip when used with a plastic shim even when using carbon compound. Before I make a punt and lay out all that cash, I would appreciate if anyone has had experience of using cabon posts with the shim step down I need?

thanks
    Hmm I thought they made the post too.

Buy a SUMO carbon post then.

They are about 186grams and look great.

mtbr member
    Haven't seen any published weights for the Flash post but was assuming it would be marginally lighter.
    The weight of the post ( if remember ) is 227grams with a Ti-bolt and its 420mm long. ( its too long )
    Will plan to cut mine to save some grams so then I will let you know the exact weight.

The Flash post and sumo post are not the same. Just the head part is the same. Also the Flash post will give you more flex because of its custom design. Saying all that Dan.G is right, I think the saddle is more important
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have one not in my bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Carbon Seatpost avaiable as aftermarket part?-hpim0078.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    are you looking to sell?

Older & Slower
    I have a 2011 Flash 29er Carbon 3 on order. I will it ride stock for a while and see what I think, but...

Does anyone out there want to give me their 2 cents on swapping out the aluminum seatpost and handle bar for carbon? This is my first hardtail (first carbon mountain bike on top of that).

I weigh in at 200 pounds and bought this bike to go LONG (endurance rides, races, events). I live in central California, and ride non-technical XC singletrack/fireroads (think Sea Otter Classic XC course if you have ridden there).

And does it matter what brand/model of carbon seatpost and handle bar? I'm on a tight budget, and would try to stick with carbon replacements at/under $100. I bought a Easton EC70 seatpost ($75 online) for my road bike and it seems to do a fine job.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    I have a 2011 Flash 29er Carbon 3 on order. I will it ride stock for a while and see what I think, but...

Does anyone out there want to give me their 2 cents on swapping out the aluminum seatpost and handle bar for carbon? This is my first hardtail (first carbon mountain bike on top of that).

I weigh in at 200 pounds and bought this bike to go LONG (endurance rides, races, events). I live in central California, and ride non-technical XC singletrack/fireroads (think Sea Otter Classic XC course if you have ridden there).

And does it matter what brand/model of carbon seatpost and handle bar? I'm on a tight budget, and would try to stick with carbon replacements at/under $100. I bought a Easton EC70 seatpost ($75 online) for my road bike and it seems to do a fine job.
    Not every carbon bars and posts are created equal. I would stick with brands you know that have a good reputation. Easton is a good name, FSA, while pretty heavy, makes durable carbon cockpit parts, Syntace is another good option and there are many but if it's too light to be true, I would stay away. Riding smooth California style trails should give you additional peace of mind.

Old School
    Fitted my Flash Carbon 3 with Controltech carbon bar/ends and carbon i-post/clamp, very light with good flex - looks beautiful too!

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    i have one not in my bikes
    heavy!!!

Old School
    Eh?
    Controltech Comp Carbon MTB XC Flat Bar 133g
    Controltech iPost Carbon Post 154g

Okay, the carbon bar ends are another 85g but great for climbing!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I looking for used SAVE seatpost, If some one could sell to me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast