mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Flash carbon 29'er sizing...

Hello,

I had the opportunity to demo a medium Flash carbon 29'er, I had a 120mm -5* si stem steerer and the factory SAVE seatpost. My question is regarding fit - the bike fits as its set up, however there's lots of seatpost exposed - 10.5" from top of seatpost clamp to saddle rails.

I'm 5'11" with around a 31-32" inseam and ride a large Niner one9. Do you guys think I should go to a large with a shorter stem and less seatpost extension? Thanks for your help.

-matt

LA CHÈVRE
    Proper fit has more to do with the length of the bike than the amount of seatpost showing. Compromising on the right bike frame length for something as superficial as the amount of seatpost showing wouldn't be a good idea. It would be like wearing wrong size shoes because it looks better... My seatpost sticks even more than that on my Scalpel and it's not an issue even though it's a light road model. The SAVE seatposts are long and kind of heavy duty, as long as it's inserted enough (respect the minimum insertion line or make sure the end is below the bottom of the frame's top tube), you wont have problems...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Proper fit has more to do with the length of the bike than the amount of seatpost showing. Compromising on the right bike frame length for something as superficial as the amount of seatpost showing wouldn't be a good idea.

, as long as it's inserted enough (respect the minimum insertion line or make sure the end is below the bottom of the frame's top tube), you wont have problems...
    Dan,

I agree with your points here, as stated in the post the bike does fit length wise with a 120mm stem. I had the guy who has done my fits in the past take a look at me on the bike and check angles and saddle height. Everything is good on this bike, his only recommendation was regarding the large as he believes that much seatpost extension could be an issue, lever force or something??

For me the other issue with the medium is bottle cages, it seems kinda hard to get at the seatpost one. That could just be the cage I have on there too, It seems that the bottle is SO far away (closer to the the BB)

Thanks!

-matt

mtbr member
    a large frame with a shorter stem (100mm) will give you the same length... and less seatpost gives you what you want for very little downside? wheelbase may increase by an inch but i doubt you'll notice.

LA CHÈVRE
    An inch in the wheelbase is a lot IMO, depends on what kind of trails and how you ride but it will be more noticable than a long seatpost... but since you are on a 120mm stem, maybe you have a long enough torso that your weight would be distributed well between the wheels on the longer wheelbase and a slightly shorter stem. Matt, maybe trying a large is in order? You'd know for sure.

And I think the bottle mounts are located at the same place on the tubes relative to the BB (not 100% sure) but certain cages have two sets of mounting holes so can be installed higher or lower (I have some Arundel cages with that feature).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    just checked and the wheelbase between med and lge is half an inch or 1.1cm. the large is the way to go IMO. people put crap on 29ers for their "slow" steering... putting a 120mm stem on would exacerbate the problem.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For whatever its worth I''m 5' 10.5" and I'm happy on a Medium with a 110/-17 degree. I may switch to a 120/-20.

I noticed Jeremiah Bishop running a Large with a 120/-20 but his saddle is way forward Tinker style.

It's funny there's only three sizes. I wish there was a bike between the Medium and Large. I'd put my wife on a 29er if it came in a Small, and then the Medium could be a bit bigger. I'm seriously considering a 2011 Scalpel and there I'm thinking a Large is the answer.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    5'10 with a 34 inch inseam on a medium running a 120mm -5 degree stem for a perfect fit. Setback is 7cm using a selle italia slr seat. Don't forget to include your correct setback when setting up your bike.