mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Flash Carbon 29er - Medium Fit & Inseam

Hi Guys,

I am considering to pull the gun on a 2012 Flash Carbon 29er, but have some reservation with the medium size available. There a no local store for me to test out the bike, hence I need some advice to help me make my decision.

I am 5'7 with an inseam of 28.5" without shoes on and am concern that the medium size standover height is a little too high for me; cannondale geo cart says that the mid point of the toptube is around 32" which is at a nut cracking heigh for me. I am aware that the TT slops rather quickly but am still concern with the standover height that is available.

Would a medium Flash carbon 29er work for me or do I just forgo getting the bike.

Shaun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You might have alittle trouble getting the bike to fit you. I would definitely try to ride one first.

I'm on a '10 Flash 29 medium at 5'8" with a 32" inseam. So my upper body is shorter with longer legs. I was on a '08 Caffeine F29 medium with a 100mm/+5 deg stem & riser bar. When I swapped parts to the Flash, I was too stretched out and hands to high. Went with a 90mm/-5 deg stem with Salsa flat bars and swapped the seat post to a Thompson 410mm to keep enough in the seat tube. The seat is located forward of center on the rails.

Good luck.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm 6 foot with a 32" inseam and I ride a Large. Pretty comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    On a brand new flash carbon 29er medium at 5'10" with a 34 inch inseam. I think you'll have issues getting the front end low enough. Medium has a 100mm -5 degree stem which I switched out for a 120mm -5 and my saddle to bar drop is zero. I'll be going to the -15 degree 120 stem as soon as it arrives at the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well they guys at the shop told me that I should fit the frame fine, which I am a little suspicious of, whether they are looking after my interest or interested in making a sale.

Most of my bikes are small with 16inch seat tube. I believe that a medium with 17inch seat tube may just do, the over all length of a medium flash carbon seem ok with me (on paper that is); an extra 50mm in length.

JB, doesn't the flash comes with a -15degrees 100mm stem standard? That is what the website say. If it was a -5degree stem, it will make the cockpit a little higher.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunW View Post
    Well they guys at the shop told me that I should fit the frame fine, which I am a little suspicious of, whether they are looking after my interest or interested in making a sale.

Most of my bikes are small with 16inch seat tube. I believe that a medium with 17inch seat tube may just do, the over all length of a medium flash carbon seem ok with me (on paper that is); an extra 50mm in length.

JB, doesn't the flash comes with a -15degrees 100mm stem standard? That is what the website say. If it was a -5degree stem, it will make the cockpit a little higher.
    I haven't seen any of the flash carbons with a -15 degree stems so far. I did 40 awesome cross country miles on mine today and it is a terrific bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well according to the cannondale website, apparently they do, check the link below out. The medium comes with a -15deg stem.

FLASH CARBON 29'ER 2

I had a chance to ride on my friends large specialized carbon stumpjumper 29er, although the frame was definitely too big for me, the over all feel of the bike was fine, and inch or two shorter it would have been perfect. I didnt feel stretched out at all and the bike rode fantastic, UBER fast. I could see why so many of you guys have converted to 29er. My only problem with the bike was the Toptube and the seat to handlebar height too high. I had to adjust the manner I stop, as the over all height of the bike is much higher then my other bikes.

So to sum it it, I am going a head and purchasing the bike; Thanks for all your advices.

mtbr member
    The bike will fit you well. I have the almost the same measurements as you. I ride the flash 2 carbon and fits me like a glove. Post your findings if you got the bile already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam. I ride a 2011 Flash medium. The standover is not a issue. The only thing that bugged me was the stock 90mm neg 5 stem. I finally got my -15 opi stem and the bike feels perfect. I do not think you will have a problem with it. I assume you wear mtb shoes which will give you another 3/4-1 inch of height when you are standing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Let us know how it works out. I'm 5'10" with 32" pant inseam and the medium was perfect. I would think the TT and stem combo on a medium will not be the best handling for your measurements.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for all your comments,

I have finally got my bike and gotta say that it looks fantastic, fast looking even while it is standing still. I did however made some changes to the stock setup, where i have swapped the stock wheelset and fork to a Carbon Lefty and a Project 321 Crest wheelset.

As for fit wise, the standover height wasnít a concern at all, I just marginally got away with a straight (non tilted) standover, by about 10mm. As for the top tube length, it wasnít a stretch at all, in-fact i think bike is designed around people with long legs short torso, as I believe that the seat tube angle is rather steep. As for me, I have the saddle set as far back as i can get it; it seems to work for now but I will consider changing it, I canít get my back from aching/arching too much.

As for the ride impression, it is fast and stiff. A whole lot stiffer then what some of the guys online have said it to be. Maybe my tires are pumped up pretty high but having ridden it on some fast flat sections; it is rather brutal coming from a full suspension bike back to a hardtail. The SAVE post didnít flex as much as i though it would when i first took it out for a spin as it gave the bean a royal flogging on the first bump. Apart from the issues i had coming from a FS to hardtail, the bike is awesomely fast for the tradeoffs of a hardtail. I will comment more when I have put more saddle time on the bike.

Shaun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Carbon 29er - Medium Fit & Inseam-img_4903.jpg  

Flash Carbon 29er - Medium Fit & Inseam-img_4901.jpg  

Flash Carbon 29er - Medium Fit & Inseam-img_4900.jpg  

Flash Carbon 29er - Medium Fit & Inseam-img_4899.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunW View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am considering to pull the gun on a 2012 Flash Carbon 29er, but have some reservation with the medium size available. There a no local store for me to test out the bike, hence I need some advice to help me make my decision.

I am 5'7 with an inseam of 28.5" without shoes on and am concern that the medium size standover height is a little too high for me; cannondale geo cart says that the mid point of the toptube is around 32" which is at a nut cracking heigh for me. I am aware that the TT slops rather quickly but am still concern with the standover height that is available.

Would a medium Flash carbon 29er work for me or do I just forgo getting the bike.

Shaun.
    Edit: just saw you got your bike. Its sweet! You'll enjoy it! You can now ignore the rest of my post. :-)

I'm 5'7 also with a 29" inseam. I have a the Flash in a Medium and I would say it fits me. The standover is a little close to hitting the "boys" but not to the point where I would forgo the bike. Its not like it affects me while actually riding. And riding it is a dream.

As always though, you need to get on one if you can and see how it feels to you. If you find it fits, I don't think you'll regret the Flash.
    Last edited by sandyeggo; 11-19-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: didn't read entire thread. doh!
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)