mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Flash Carbon 29er 3 vs Alloy 1

I have a price for an Alloy 1 of about $1800. I just went to a LBS to look for one to ride since this one is out of town and they didn't have one. They did tell me that for $2000 they could sell me a Carbon 3. Is this a no brainer to go to the Carbon frame? He said that the components are a little better on the Carbon 3 as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The spec on the carbon 3 is as the guy says better than the alloy 1. For $2000 bite his hand off, mine cost 2500...... $3900

mtbr member
    I wanted a carbon Flash this year, but I just can live with the Cdale white, green. I gotta have the black frames. I would say if you can live with the color. I would take the carbon frame over the alloy. That matte black from Cdale is just my fav, but the gloss is sick too. I am getting a Alloy frame on monday and building it up, but only went alloy just because i can get black for a resonable price. You can get the carbon frame in black this year but its the utimate and that is a **** ton of $$$$. My LBS says that if you want just the carbon frame from Cdale, there $$$$$$$. I wouldn't get caught up on XT on the carbon and sram on the Alloy. I ride both and they both work well. I have a complete XO drive sitting in my garage but am just going to use X9 on my Flash build becuase it works nicely. Both bikes will ride great. I would focus more on carbon vs alloy frame. Cheers!
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    For $2000 bite his hand off
    Yup! Both his hands!

If I could get one for that over here (UK) I'd buy it just to have a spare

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I missed the deal on the Carbon. The last one in Cannondale's inventory was sold in the time that I was contemplating the extra $$. I agree though. I like the black of the Alloy better than the white/green of the Carbon. The Alloy 1 will be here on Thursday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    I wanted a carbon Flash this year, but I just can live with the Cdale white, green. I gotta have the black frames. I would say if you can live with the color. I would take the carbon frame over the alloy. That matte black from Cdale is just my fav, but the gloss is sick too. I am getting a Alloy frame on monday and building it up, but only went alloy just because i can get black for a resonable price. You can get the carbon frame in black this year but its the utimate and that is a **** ton of $$$$. My LBS says that if you want just the carbon frame from Cdale, there $$$$$$$. I wouldn't get caught up on XT on the carbon and sram on the Alloy. I ride both and they both work well. I have a complete XO drive sitting in my garage but am just going to use X9 on my Flash build becuase it works nicely. Both bikes will ride great. I would focus more on carbon vs alloy frame. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I saw flash 3 carbon at REI for under $2100. I think it was $2026 if I remember correctly. I would have taken out for a test ride but I had my 2 year old with me. I told my wife about it when I got home but she said I don't need it.