mtbr member

Flash Carbon 2 vs Flash Carbon 3 - help please!

Iím in the market for a new HT 29er for XC endurance racing (mostly 60-100km).

After testing several bikes, Iíve decided on a Flash Carbon. The only question is: which one?

My budget will extend to a Carbon 2.

My test ride was on a Carbon 3. I loved it. I rode it for 100km off-road and it was absolutely brilliant and fast as all hell.

I am assuming I would love the Carbon 2 just that little bit more, but I havenít had a ride on one.

The question is whether to go straight for the Carbon 2, or go for the Carbon 3 and keep the extra $ to spend on upgrades over time.

Is the Carbon 2 worth the extra over the Carbon 3 (a good $1000+)?

The material differences seem to be:
    1. Wheels: 2 gives me NoTubes Arch instead of WTB Frequency i19
    2. Cranks: 2 gives me XO-equivalent carbon cranks instead of X7/X9 cranks
    3. Bars: 2 gives me Truvativ Noir carbon instead of alloy
    4. Post: 2 gives me SAVE carbon instead of alloy

I appreciate there are some other differences eg. derailleurs, brakes etc, but the step up in all those cases is pretty minor in my opinion.

Realistically, if I get the 3, I will almost certainly get carbon post (not necessarily a SAVE) and bars at some point in the next 12 months. If I was upgrading the wheels on the 3, Iím not sure the Stans would be my first choice. It would be nice to get the carbon cranks, and thatís not something Iím likely to do as an upgrade anytime soon.

Any thoughts, guidance etc appreciated.

Looking forward to picking up my first Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you are willing to do some donkeywork yourself you could do very well with the 3..I bought a 3, sold everything except the frame and fork "as new, unridden" and bought exactly what I wanted for it.

I worked out the bits I wanted and then hunted around for good deals on them. I built up my own wheels, it ended up a very nice spec: Stans Crest/ DT240/XX/XTR/Hollowgram/ Hope Race X2 etc) the overall cost after deducting the money from the sales was still only somewhere between a 2 and 3 and every single thing on the bike is exactly what I'd want. (and the spec and weight is more like a 1, which would have been a LOT more expensive)

It was a fair amount of hassle but I'd definitely do it that way again.

mtbr member
    I bought the 3 and changed the bars, cranks and seatpost all the FSA SL-K stuff. I also changed out the wheelset for a Reynolds set from a F29. My last and final upgrade was to a XLR Carbon Lefty fork. I'll admit I did most of it for the fact I wanted as much carbon on the bike as I could. Weight savings was a point, but I did not get crazy about it. I have a Lg 3 and it weighs in at 21lbs with pedals which are Crank Bros Candy 11's. I am content with the other components until they wear out. Bike was fast as it was, but is even faster with the mods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Carbon 3 is a much better buy. There is a 2500 dollar bump in price to the carbon 2. With the 2500 you can easily upgrade the wheels ($600 stans crest or whatever you want - $200 (Sell the I19's) = $400. The Cassette on the 3 is very heavy but I would just wear it out and then upgrade the drivetrain since you want carbon cranks anyway. For 1200 dollars you could outfit it with XX1. Toss on another $300 for a carbon bar and post and for a total of $1900 which is still less then buying the 2 you would have a lighter bike then the 2 with XX1 Plus you could get your first 2000 miles of riding out of the stock drivetrain.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Happy Trails

Flash Carbon 2 vs Flash Carbon 3 - help please!

This is not even a question, in my opinion. The dash-2 has the carbon fork. It's the best fork in the world. A new XLR carbon fork retails for $1400 USD, so it's not a realistic upgrade.

Pull the trigger on the -2.

Anybody ever wish they'd bought a little less bike?

mtbr member
    Unless the spec is different here (Australia) than elsewhere, the 2 doesn't give you a carbon lefty. The only difference between the forks on the 2 and 3 is that the 2 has a remote lever, while 3's is push button on the top of the fork.

You need to get the flash 1 if you want to move to a carbon lefty. Not going there price-wise on this bike.

I'd actually prefer the push button fork on the 3 to the lever on the 2. The push button is right up there at bar height and I can't understand the need for a lever which is just adding clutter to the bars.

I also prefer the colour scheme on the 3 to the 2, but that's neither here nor there for me.

Nonetheless, I have just put in my order for the 2.

Why?

With the (discounted) prices I was offered, the 2 was just over $1k more than the 3. I already knew I was going to put about $300 into carbon post and bars. It's unlikely I'd ever have bothered upgrading the 3 to carbon cranks, but I knew I'd probably have a (stupid) nagging thought that they'd be nice and maybe I should have got them to begin with. Add to that the hub/rim upgrade that the 2 gives you and it becomes pretty lineball.

Realistically I've never sold really well on eBay - always seem to scratch around for buyers and wind up feeling like I'm giving stuff away, so I didn't place too much hope on part-financing the upgrades to the 3 by selling the stuff I was pulling off.

I was initially all decided to go the 3 and trade up to some carbon rims through my LBS, but the pricing was going to take it well past the 2 and then I'd still want to go back and do bars & post. And still have that nagging feeling about the cranks!

So there it is: a new Flash 2 Carbon is coming my way this week. Can't wait!

Thanks all for your input, and see you more on this forum soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post
    Unless the spec is different here (Australia) than elsewhere, the 2 doesn't give you a carbon lefty. The only difference between the forks on the 2 and 3 is that the 2 has a remote lever, while 3's is push button on the top of the fork.

You need to get the flash 1 if you want to move to a carbon lefty. Not going there price-wise on this bike.

I'd actually prefer the push button fork on the 3 to the lever on the 2. The push button is right up there at bar height and I can't understand the need for a lever which is just adding clutter to the bars.
    I felt this way about the push button and was wondering if I could change my carbon XLR over to push button. Then I just ran it with the remote and like it a lot better due to not having to remove your hand from the bar at all to lock out the fork. The remote works really well too and is not in the way or make it cluttered at all imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash29r View Post
    I felt this way about the push button and was wondering if I could change my carbon XLR over to push button. Then I just ran it with the remote and like it a lot better due to not having to remove your hand from the bar at all to lock out the fork. The remote works really well too and is not in the way or make it cluttered at all imo.
    I'm curious if you found out whether it's possible to change XLR to push button. Any luck?

I'm coming from 1x10 on my dually, so this is going to mean getting used to not just 1 but 2 more levers on the left bar.

Like you say, I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it'd be nice to have the option to get rid of the lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post

Like you say, I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it'd be nice to have the option to get rid of the lever.
    It is just a push button as well and works great. As I said above you don't need to remove your hand from the bars at all to lock out the fork. If you set it up right it actually is not in the way at all and works well once you get it set up for how you like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you should have taken my advice and got a 3, went XX1, light wheels, and you would have a lighter bike with nothing on the left bar. Stick with the remote. its nice to have the lockout so easy to operate.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway View Post
    Sounds like you should have taken my advice and got a 3, went XX1, light wheels, and you would have a lighter bike with nothing on the left bar. Stick with the remote. its nice to have the lockout so easy to operate.
    On this bike, I'll need a broader gear range than xx1 will give

And xx1 + wheel upgrade would have been far more than the $1k difference between f3c and f2c.

I'm sure I'll learn to live with the xlr!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its only money. The Flash 2 needs a wheel upgrade anyway.

PM me