mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Flash Alloy 29er seatpost collar problems

I'm having problems with my seatpost collar. Screw thread in the original Cannondale collar broke (it just doesn't hold any more) so I bought Thomson 31.8 collar. My local LBS convinced me that Thomson would work just fine no matter that old collars size was 30.9. But I just can't get it to work, seatpost keeps slipping, every few miles I need to adjust my seatpost height. Thats pretty disturbing, it's impossible to get into any kind of rhythm becouse of it.

So I wonder is there a way to make Thomson work (I tried everything, from grease, carbon paste etc.) or should I just return it and buy something in the right size? Another problem is that 30.9 is pretty uncommon size. The closest one is 30.7 by KCNC - would those work?

hispanic mechanic
    If I'm not mistaken, Cannondale uses a 30.0 clamp on the alloy frames. I'm off today, but I'll double check when I go by to pick up my paycheck today.
    That being said, there's no way you'll get that 31.8 to work.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It should be 30.9 on Flash 29er Alloy 1 2012. It's pretty hard to find & buy original Cannondale parts here in Croatia (Southeast Europe) even trough official croatian Cannondale importer. That's why I was asking if there was some kind of workaround. Second thing is that only Cannondale uses and manufactures 30.9 clamp size wich is pretty stupid if you ask me.

hispanic mechanic
    You're right, it's 30.9mm. Unfortunately, we have had at least one demo bike that the collar wouldn't tighten enough to keep the post from slipping. I just replaced it with a 30.6 Salsa, so that KCNC should work.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/