mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Flash Alloy 29er 2 - worth it?

So I walk into the LBS, and the bike that I've been e-stalking is sitting right there on the showroom floor... a '12 Flash 29er 2 alloy, white/orange, Lefty. $1899. That's a lot of bones... Let's assume I buy that one, or find something similar, used.

I ride at a level that's mostly recreational and for fitness, so truly I don't need a race bike, certainly not anything that nice. But the reason why I've got the "I wannas":

1. The Flash is an XL frame. I think when I bought my F900 (14?) years ago, it was on the small side as a Large frame. I'm 6'4 240 (Clyde ++). I've never broken a seatpost on that bike, but I wonder if the larger geometry would feel better or be an advantage?

2. The Head shok in my F900 only has 60mm travel, and has the "up to 200lb" springs (for my weight, they should be the next step up). The Flash Lefty has 90+?mm of travel and I could find current parts to set it up correctly for my weight class. I hear nothing but good things about Leftys.

3. Wet v-brakes in the mud versus hydraulic disc brakes for a 240lb rider. Need I say more? I hate the feel/sound/unpredictability of v-brakes, always have.

4. The Flash looks fantastic. I'm trying to picture it muddy with a scrape or two, and it still looks good.... Who doesn't like shiny, new objects?

5. I'm curious about the ride experience/quality/advantage of 29ers... ::squints:: "We didn't have those when I was your age..." (The whole 'rolls over stuff better' is enticing for me, living in the Northwest with tons of roots and rocks). Also, the 29er feels like a big kid's bike.

Realistically if I get in another 20 rides this season, I'll be skookum. I'm getting back into the sport. I'm sure I could throw my old F900 down the trail plenty more times as a bargain proposition, nurturing the old parts and replacing anything that breaks. If I bought a new one, I'd keep it, so it could be a spare or something to change up my riding. I also have a buddy that's ripe for MTB evangelism...said he wants to go sometime and then I'd have a decent bike I could get him hooked on.

Is the advance in technology "worth" it to you? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to me. The guy at the bike shop said they don't rent bikes, but if I'm thinking about buying, the shop does a program where you can take out a demo 29er and keep it for a weekend, ride it on your favorite trail, etc, for $100, and if you decide to buy, they'll put that $100 as a credit on your purchase. I might do it just to avoid a $2k mistake...$100 is worth the experience to me, especially since I will be bike-less this weekend while they figure out my suspension issues.

Also...at $1899 for that bike...the C'dale website says MSRP is $2100...so I'm assuming that's a deal? Do you think there's any room to move?

Helmetless Crasher
    You cant miss what you never had.

Def test the bike out for $100.

When u first ride the newer bike it will feel very different, but not a whole helluva lot "better", except maybe in the brake dept. Once you learn the bike and it's higher limits and are able to push it, and then return to your old bike, you will be like "whoa - ok, I get it. Big difference!"
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    A little bit of a bias opinion here, but i am a proud owner of a C'dale 2012 Flash 2 and have been blown away every time i mount my trusty steed. The "Lefty" fork is an amazing piece of technology (the suspension is another level) and is a head turner every where i ride. I've put about 250 miles in the saddle. I joke that I have to hide it in the garage somewhere so that every time i see it i'm not tempted to ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Alloy 29er 2 - worth it?-img_1102.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have one as well. Paid 1899 as that was the best price i could find. And no they wouldnt go lower.

All in all its an incredible bike. Aside from the creaks and grones I have been tracking down. Love it and the lefty is so good i forget its there doing its thing.

There are better speced bikes for the same price but you pay a bit more for the lefty. But there are not many bikes out there in this price range that come stock with a top of the line fork. That was worth not having better brakes and a few other things.

I made a review when i bought mine. It goes into mor detail
    Last edited by machine4321; 05-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I think some of the manufacturers show msrp online and there can be a little better sticker pricing in stores. I have seen that at my local cannondale & specialized shops. I test rode the same bike locally. They had it at 1899 and then had a sale tag of take 10% off, so u mite get them to do a bit better, especially if you pay cash or debit card ( not credit card) & if you buy a few accessories to go with it. You can also ask for store credit as part of a discount ti use towards accessories. I would say do the best you can, get it and enjoy your new ride. You will enjoy the new bike so much you probably won't be thinking too much about a hundred or two later.