mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Flash 29er Sizing

Hi there-
    I purchased a 2011 Flash 1 (Alloy) 29er in a size Large, and, have been having mixed feelings with the size. I'm not sure if it's too big, or, I need to make some minor tweaks (i.e. riser bar, shorter OPI stem), and, hoping you guys might have some input.

Basically, I LOVE the bike...it climbs well, and I'm really comfy on it going downhill. However, one thing I've noticed is that it's really sluggish around some of the tighter turns. Oftentimes, coming around a tighter/sharp turn with some speed, I have to brake and lose a lot of momentum which sucks especially during a race. Now, some of that might be attributed to skill, but, I've tried using more body weight, position, etc to get the bike around these types of turns and I consistently overshoot turns.

For what it's worth, I typically ride a 56cm road bike (CAAD 9 56 in fact), with a 110mm stem. I think the size L comes with a either a 100 or 110mm OPI stem, and before I start changing parts to find something that works, wondering if anyone's got the same experience, and, found something that works.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    58teeth

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,
    First of all, how tall are you? I am 5'11 and have the same bike, same size. However, the moment I decided to get it from the LBS I asked the guys there to put an 80mm stem on it, because the stock one seemed huge to me. I have a 60mm stem on my AM bike, so 80 felt good. Next thing I did, after a few rides, was to change the saddle to a Rocket V, which is my favorite saddle. I then realised that in order to get the perfect pedaling position I had to move the saddle forward quite a bit (almost to the max marking on the rail). This made to cockpit position perfect. But the change that I noticed the most was the tires. I dropped the SB8s in favor of the Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 exo. The bike now rails all corners. As a matter of fact I am so amazed by how much less I use the brakes before entering corners now, than when I had the kendas on. These tires roll fast, but they have great cornering grip. This has been the biggest improvement I made to the bike and it now does everything great, including cornering at high speed and uphill traction when standing up. And that's using tubes and a rather high pressure. Can't imagine how it'll be when I'll get a Crest wheelset!
    I hope this helps and I wish you best of luck!
    Last edited by babu; 09-07-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the reply babu. I'm 5'11 too. I agree...that stem is HUGE!. I dropped the SB8 on the front in favor of a Nevegal and it makes some difference. I used the saddle to handlebar distance & BB center to saddle from my road bike to set the saddle position, but, maybe that was a mistake. I'll try messing with the saddle a bit more. agreed though, that i need to change it for sure. I liked the prologo at first, but, am leaning more towards either a specialized BG type Phenom/MTB saddle, or, maybe the WTB Rocket V. Both look good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Rocket V is a great saddle! I did two 50 mile races on it and I felt preety good at the end. Not so much when I raced a long distance with the Prologo, although before that I also thought it was allright! The Nevegals are good as all-arounders, but I find them slow, although with a good bite! Ditch the rear SB8, too. As far as the stem goes 80 is the shortest you can go, otherwise there is not enough clearence for the Lefty. And that's running the stem with a positive rise. I tried to reverse it but the handlebar comes in contact with the fork. Luckly I'm OK with the positive rise. Anyway, get a shorter stem and you'll feel better!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm 5-11 and got the 2011 Medium Flash '29 and it fits like a glove. Although I also have a relatively short inseam so a large would get tight in the stand over department...

Nevegal up front and the SB8 in rear. It took a couple of hundred miles for me to really like this combination. But I do now. Plenty of grip where I need it and if the rear slips out a bit I don't care any more since it just seems to whip back in line pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am 6' and find the stem to be pretty big as well on my large Flash 29er.

Noob, go easy experts.
    Mar 2011
    I am 5' 10" and ride a medium Flash 2. This is my first big wheel bike so I don't have anything to compare it to. I havent made any changesas of yet. So far it feels like I am in the middle of the cockpit and is much more comfortable than my old Giant NRS 18.5 medium frame.