mtbr member

Flash 29er, Lefty questions

I took a Flash 29er 2 for a test ride today and WOW I am impressed. I'm looking for my first 29r and I have been a little overwhelmed with all the choices. So as soon as I got on it the Flash just felt right. It was perfect. My only problems are size I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. So there really isn't any stand over clearance. I guess that can't be fixed. I would have to figure out a way to get use to it. And the other question is changing stems. whats out there for the 1.5" lefty's? I think the white 29er 2 would look really good with the white Ritchey WCS white bar, stem and post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    I took a Flash 29er 2 for a test ride today and WOW I am impressed. I'm looking for my first 29r and I have been a little overwhelmed with all the choices. So as soon as I got on it the Flash just felt right. It was perfect. My only problems are size I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. So there really isn't any stand over clearance. I guess that can't be fixed. I would have to figure out a way to get use to it. And the other question is changing stems. whats out there for the 1.5" lefty's? I think the white 29er 2 would look really good with the white Ritchey WCS white bar, stem and post.
    With the Lefty and the Cannondale steerer tube, I would think you are locked into using Cannondale stems; I'm guessing that the stems are all black, although I'm not an expert on this. If you really cared about using a white stem/bar combination, you could probably use the tapered steerer tube kit from Project 321 so that you could then use a standard stem, but that would only work if you could find a headset for the top part of the headset to reduce from 1.5" to 1 1/8" that would be compatible with the frame. Somebody else would have to chime in to say if such a thing is available. One way or the other, you are talking about a fair amount of money for something that only changes the aesthetics of the bike and might even decrease the overall stiffness of the front a little bit (I'm talking theoretically - personally doubt that I could tell the difference)..

If the fit of the bike felt good while you were riding it, I'd say go for it. While the standover might always be something of a nuisance, I'm guessing you would get used to it.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty steerer is not a true 1.5" as the 1.5" DH and FR forks, it's a bit bigger so it's size specific. Cannondale are not the only options (Hope, FRM and a few companies make Lefty sized stems) but you would also need a steerer as the Lefty on the Flash will have an integrated stem-steerer (can be a bit lighter but stiffer too). Separate steerers should be easy to find though.

Another option is changing the steerer to a custom made one that is sized for the Lefty but slims down where the stem fits to use standard sized stems like a Ritchey. Eliflap had one... Personally, I would stick to the slicker and stiffer Cannondale stem-steerer. Maybe have it painted white? That would be sweet!

For the standover, I don't think it's an issue, the bike should fit when you ride it, not when you are waiting for your friends, and then, you can just lay the bike a bit to one side when you stop, you'll get used in no time.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm the same height and inseam as you. I ride a Med. Flash 29. Stand over height is a little tight, but as Dan said, it doesn't bother me when riding. I'm running the Cannondale SI stem 90mm -5 deg with Salsa Pro Moto flat bars.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Thanx guys I'm going to get it any way I'm not that bothered by the stem or size. I am going get it when I get my tax return. I'm thinking it would still look good with the white WCS bar and post with the stock stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    it is a sharp bike ive got one on hold at my bike shop. i would like to see cannondale give us some stem options, color mainly. but it sure wasnt enough to hinder me from getting one. i paid 1650.00 for mine and i just couldnt find anything in that price range to compete with it. i rode my buddies 2010 29er lefty at the end of the 2010 riding season and i gotta say im never going back to any other fork. the lefty rules and i just love c'dale 29er geo. good luck when you get youres hope ya like it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    it is a sharp bike ive got one on hold at my bike shop. i would like to see cannondale give us some stem options, color mainly. but it sure wasnt enough to hinder me from getting one. i paid 1650.00 for mine and i just couldnt find anything in that price range to compete with it. i rode my buddies 2010 29er lefty at the end of the 2010 riding season and i gotta say im never going back to any other fork. the lefty rules and i just love c'dale 29er geo. good luck when you get youres hope ya like it
    I was really impressed with how the lefty felt. I have never herd any thing bad about them. So I have high hopes for how it will perform on the trail. I have to see what I can get it for. The shop wants $1800 for it but REI less then a mile down the road wants $1700 and I get part of that back in my divided. So I think they should deal a little.

My friend runs the local trek store is offering me 20% off any bike he has. But even with the discount they just don't compare in ride quality. And the trek fishers are all butt ugly.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    right measure of inner diameter of Lefty bearings is 1 and 9/16 inches

so a 1/16 inch more than 1,5 inches

mtbr member
    I was really impressed with how the lefty felt. I have never herd any thing bad about them. So I have high hopes for how it will perform on the trail. I have to see what I can get it for. The shop wants $1800 for it but REI less then a mile down the road wants $1700 and I get part of that back in my divided. So I think they should deal a little.

My friend runs the local trek store is offering me 20% off any bike he has. But even with the discount they just don't compare in ride quality. And the trek fishers are all butt ugly.
    I'd rather have P-- V--- work on my Lefty than REI if anything breaks. That seems like it would be worth something IMO. But it's still $100 plus dividend so I hear you.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Friends don't let friends ride Treks....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    oh god trek? please that c'dale is leaps and bounds better than that fisher/trek trust me after you ride that flash with that awsome stiff plush lefty and that nice lateral stiff but smooth alloy frame you just cant ride much else. i just hope the company cannondale sold out to will continue to keep cannondale at a top notch bike. i will say that the 2011 paint scemes arent near as good as they were last year. i hope thats not a sign of things to come also only 2 alloy flash 29er's this year?

mtbr member
    K
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    oh god trek? please that c'dale is leaps and bounds better than that fisher/trek trust me after you ride that flash with that awsome stiff plush lefty and that nice lateral stiff but smooth alloy frame you just cant ride much else. i just hope the company cannondale sold out to will continue to keep cannondale at a top notch bike. i will say that the 2011 paint scemes arent near as good as they were last year. i hope thats not a sign of things to come also only 2 alloy flash 29er's this year?
    I agree on all points. I think part of the reason there are only 2 aluminum flashes is because there is a better return on investment with carbon. Raw material is cheeper and people are willing to pay more for it. So I think its kind of a trend in most of the industry.

I also think Cannondale will stay the way it is as long as it stays involved with the Pro Tour and sponsors a team that competes in the Tour da France. The brand will need to keep a world class image. If that ends then all bets are off.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Lefty steerer is not a true 1.5" as the 1.5" DH and FR forks, it's a bit bigger so it's size specific. Cannondale are not the only options (Hope, FRM and a few companies make Lefty sized stems) but you would also need a steerer as the Lefty on the Flash will have an integrated stem-steerer (can be a bit lighter but stiffer too). Separate steerers should be easy to find though.

Another option is changing the steerer to a custom made one that is sized for the Lefty but slims down where the stem fits to use standard sized stems like a Ritchey. Eliflap had one... Personally, I would stick to the slicker and stiffer Cannondale stem-steerer. Maybe have it painted white? That would be sweet!

For the standover, I don't think it's an issue, the bike should fit when you ride it, not when you are waiting for your friends, and then, you can just lay the bike a bit to one side when you stop, you'll get used in no time.
    Since when did stand over height not be an issue. there are precious items nestled above the top tube. I am unfortunately 5'-6" with a short inseam, all Medium sized bikes do not feel safe. There are the moments when u are at that awkward position on the trails and u bail... I prefer the extra inch or two to save my "Precious Jewels".

I do hope the 15.5" frames will allow me the extra safety measure of clearance. I have not bought a new bike in 12 years, and back then clearance was important.

After reviewing a few LBS there seems to be a shortage of 29'ers for guys my size. The Flash 17" felt great but i hate that i need to put a deposit to try to get a 15.5" sent to the store.

29'ers seem to be the way things are headed I wish there weer more options for guys my size