mtbr member

Flash 29er input on shifting issues needed.....

Could use some brainstorming input to track down a shifting problem on my carbon flash 29er. Have the 2012 Carbon2 build kit (2x10 with XO rear D) on a 2013 Carbon 3 warranty frame. Drivetrain new in December 2012.

Shifting had been spot on until I put a new stem on, and changed the rear derailleur cable at the same time. Jagwire housing with a generic shop cable. Cables run smoothly and Iím meticulous with my housing. Shifting sets up fine in the stand and works fine during the initial part of my rides, but after a while, deteriorates and grinds and skips, and is most noticeable on steep climbs using the easier gears.

I have no reason to believe the hangar is tweaked, but have a spare to put on to try out, though have not done that yet. I also have no reason to believe the rear derailleur has any problems. I did notice the tips of several teeth on the small chain ring are missing, but they are smooth and there are no visible issues as the chain moves over them, at least in the stand.
    So, what do you think? Is the chain ring the likely culprit? Tweaked hangar? I canít imagine the new cable would be stretching that much every time itís ridden. Appreciate any input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My new Scalpel is suffering from cable stretch issues with every ride. I find that I have to tweak it a bit each time. I wouldn't rule it out

mtbr member
    Interesting. Thanks for the feed back!

LA CH»VRE
    Yep, cables sometimes stretch (mostly cheaper no name generic cables) but also, sometimes the housing ferrules fit tight on the housing, we think they're bottomed out but sometimes they're not completely and as you shift, the housing slowly gets pushed deeper in the ferrule.

Other ideas:

Even some new frames can have slightly bent/misaligned derailleur hangers, it's not common, but it does happen.

Also, make sure the cable is routed correctly through the derailleur (attached on the right side of the ancor bolt?).

Is the chain clean and lubed properly?

Were the housings cut straight without little metal parts rubbing against the inner cable?

Is the skipping coming from the rear or front? If it degrades over your ride, I doubt it's the front...

Oh and, it might sound stupid (not saying you or anyone here is, but sometimes we all have brain farts ), is the wheel installed correctly in the dropouts and the QR tight?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    That's a good checklist there Dan!

So, as I disassembled everything last night, the first thing I noticed is that the pinch bolt on the derailleur was a little on the loose side. Then, after taking the housing off and cleaning the cable, it frayed and started to unravel along the section that runs along the downtube. Probably a combination bad/damaged cable and pinch bolt not torqued properly. New cable installed, pinch bolt torqued, and ready to try again! Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Guess I can also add bottom bracket to your list. BB30 had developed some play. Now there appears to be some chain line issues in the small cogs. Good thing I like wrenching, but not as much as riding.....!