mtbr member

Flash 29er Front deralleur mounting

This is not a thread about chain suck issues. My alluminum flash 29er 1 seems great, but I did initially have trouble with the tire rubbing the front derailleur. It has an factory low clamp x7. I find that it's really a tight fit and had trouble getting the height and allignment set well. Is the x9 or x0 slightly smaller? Is the high clamp a good option? Anyone else with this problem?

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have a 2011 Flash 29er Alu 1 but it was spec'd with the Shimano SLX Dynasis FD. Clearance isnt much but it doesnt really come close to rubbing the tire. This is a pretty decent replacement for an X7 and I'm sure you could get the SLX for dirt cheap. What tires are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Same bike: 2011 Flash 29er 1.

It IS tight down there. I measure ~5/32" using the stock X7 and SB8 tires. Seems like a nubby could touch when bouncing around--although I have not had any problems with the stock set up.

mtbr member
    I have the x9 FD on my 2011 Alloy Flash 1 (they changed spec at some pointin the year). It's close but no real porblem with my Ikon 2.2 tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Flash AL 1 came stock with a x9 front. No issues running 2.1 ignitors, 2.2 slant six, 2.2 mtn king, 2.25 ardent, 2.1 aspen. My friend has the same bike and ran a 2.4 racing ralph without issue.

and yes I have a problem with buying tires.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Check to make sure your FD is positioned correctly. You only need a few mm's between the cage and the big ring. Sliding it down to this height will give you a little more room. I have about 1/2" with the SLX FD.

mtbr member
    Thats just it, i have it as low as possible and i'm no where near .5". I'm running the factory sb8 on the rear. I might try a shimano front derailleur. Having looked around at other threads, I'm happy mine is shifting well. I'm a Cannondale fan, but it might be wise for them to spec bikes like they do their road line. All shimano or all Sram. Overall, really great bike if i could get my hands on one of those flexy carbon seatposts.