Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Flash 29er Cracked Frame Warranty Issue.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this and mods please move this to appropriate location if needed.
    Also posted in bike and frame discussion forum so if you've read before sorry for the double post.

Ok, So I need some help with a warranty issue with a 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er XL frame that has cracked at a weld where the top tube connects to the seat tube.

First, some info on the bike, 1. It has less than 100 miles on it and is well taken care of, never ridden crazy or extreme, mainly XC and because of my schedule only 2-3 times a month since purchased.
    2. Not even 1 year old yet.
    Some info on me,
    1.I am a big guy, 6'7" and 240 lbs but nothing that a XL frame shouldn't be able to handle. 2. I did not buy this bike from a LBS, I purchased from an individual after he blew out his back motocrossin and was not able to ride
    3. Bike was purchased by original owner in Jan of this year and was never ridden before his injury. I purchased bike in March and like stated above I have less than 100 miles on it.
    I know all about Cannondale’s warranty policies only applying to original owner so I don't need a lecture about fine print. I purchased the bike after contacting LBS to get a Flash but was told there were no XL frames available to be had. Searched all LBS that carry C-dale' in a 100 mile radius and got same answer; "No XL frames and we don't know when there will be more available." So when given the opportunity to get a "new" Flash and save some dollars I took it, which I am willing to wager most people who are hurting during this economy would have done also.

OK so on to my dilemma that I am sure some of you have already figured out, LBS and Cannondale rep basically saying, "Sorry, F... you, you should have bought from a LBS and this wouldn't have happened" Tried pleading case but have basically been treated like a sh*tbag because I bought "second hand" and not "new" .

I understand C-dales policy and realize the reason behind it, they don’t want every person who buys a 2,3,or more year old bike off e-bay or craigslist to come streaming into the LBS demanding a refund on a abused frame. I would also understand if I was out downhillin, jumpin and freeriding a bike not meant for that type of abuse. But clearly this is a manufacturing defect and Cannondale should do the right thing, that is, get me a replacement frame. They did offer me a "Crash replacement frame" at what the LBS owner called a “deal" at $500. Well, I don't have $500 to spend on a frame, much less one that should be covered under some type of warranty.

Please don’t use this as a post to “bash on” about how Dorel has ruined the Cannondale name; I know all about that argument but it does nothing to help me out. Also I don't need lecturing about "getting what I deserve" by not buying from a LBS, because I have already gotten that from my LBS owner and again, it does nothing to help me. That dead horse has been beaten enough.

I just want Cannondale to do what's right and support a Cannondale owner with some decent customer service.

I guess what I am asking for is this 1. Anyone here ever run into the same type of issue and if so what did you do to get it resolved? (If it was ever resolved) 2. Does anyone have info or contact numbers to the C-dale/Dorel corporate offices? Clearly I am going to have to head further up the ladder to get some help.
    Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

26er
    Do you still know owner, if not 500 for crash replacement sounds like a great deal.

Seems like the original owner might have done something to the bike.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    SmilyCook,
    I am in contact with the owner but he does not have the original receipt and the shop where he bought the bike went out of business. As for him doing something to the bike I find highly unlikely since he never even had a chance to put in on the trail before he blew out a couple of disc's in his spine. When I bought it it was pristine, the only thing he had done was changed the tires and grips. The crack is right on a weld, it can clearly be seen right where the top tube meets the seat post. Bad weld covered up by beautiful paint job.

$500 may sound great..... if you have $500 to spend. Right now $500 might as well be $5000 for me. I spent a year in Afghanistan saving what little I could after supporting my wife and daughter back here to buy a new bike. Like I said, that is unacceptable seeing as this is clearly a manufacturer defect.

If I had bought said bike from a LBS they would warranty it "no problem/no questions"(LBS owners words not mine) but because exact same bike is now in hands of second owner it makes the warranty null and void? So what is different? 1st owner, same bike=new frame. 2nd owner same bike=you're screwed!
    Does $500 still sound like a good deal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    To some $500 might seem great and believe me, I thought about taking the offer just to avoid the headache and be able to get back on the trail, but then I would've had to run my credit debt up by another $500 and that is exactly what I'm working so hard to erase. It's about principle and about doing the right thing.
    Someone buys a used car and it is still within the mfgr warranty and something happens the car makers cover it, no questions asked no matter how many people may have bought and sold it.

It also about building a base of loyal customers.Do the right thing and people will support you and keep coming back to spend money.

This is not the way one should go about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Heres a picture of the crack - clearly right along a weld. hard to imagine this is anything other than a defect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout66 View Post
    I just want Cannondale to do what's right and support a Cannondale owner with some decent customer service.
    I feel your pain man but they are doing what is right. Warranty is for the original owner.....it is what it is. If they warranty for you they would have to do it for everyone. They don't have to give you a crash replacement price either. Id say by giving you that, they are trying to work with you.
    Last edited by jason.R; 09-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It also about building a base of loyal customers.Do the right thing and people will support you and keep coming back to spend money.
    But you didn't spend money and give it to Cannondale, you gave it to your buddy.

Sorry man, I gotta side with Cannondale on this one.

You want Cannondale to give you a free frame when you didn't really buy it from them? They do treat their loyal customers well. You unfortunately weren't their customer on this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    But you didn't spend money and give it to Cannondale, you gave it to your buddy.

Sorry man, I gotta side with Cannondale on this one.

You want Cannondale to give you a free frame when you didn't really buy it from them? They do treat their loyal customers well. You unfortunately weren't their customer on this one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Get the replacement frame, sell it, buy a steel frame bike off Craigslist? That would get you on the trails with as little loss of cash as possible. I know it might not be the bike you want but it'll at least get you riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    just say you purchased it from the shop that went out of business and dont have the invoice anymore. tell them the shop name and the name the frame was purchased by.

i doubt cannondale wants the bad press. and the case seems to be pretty clear to me ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I feel your pain. It seems that bike riders usually get the very short end of the stick when it comes to warranty stuff. I don't and never will understand why the warranty doesn't cover the bike itself for the year regardless of the owner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I feel your pain. It seems that bike riders usually get the very short end of the stick when it comes to warranty stuff. I don't and never will understand why the warranty doesn't cover the bike itself for the year regardless of the owner.

Most everything you buy has warranty limited to original owner and is non-transferable (except vehicles and other minor exceptions), so it's not just bike riders.

If you don't want to pay for NEW bike then you won't get a warranty, that premium is built into the price. Everyone should know the risks of buying used bikes. Having a LIFETIME warranty is enough of an incentive to purchase new. I have purchased some used bikes in the past and I am aware that if anything ever happens, I'm SOL. I certainly wouldn't haggle with a company for a warranty claim when the terms are so evident.

To the OP, you knew the risk you were taking, so it's no ones fault but yours. Trying to make Cannondale the bad guy on the back end really isn't right. As well, I'm sure the rep never said "F*** you". He was just stating an evident fact that: if you would've bought new and supported your LBS, this wouldn't have happened. He's right.

They are actually going beyond the norm by offering you a crash replacement frame.

You want something free from a company you didn't even buy the bike from. All you did was help a buddy, who unfortunately got hurt, regain some finances. That is an admirable thing, though.

You gambled and lost.

If you support LBS's and bike companies, they'll support you. Lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    warranty should be not linked to the owner. warranty is to protect consumer from poor design and manufacturing defects.

most countries have a warranty time frame defined by law, unregarded the number of owners (like japan or european union). consumer protection is poor in the u.s. in comparison to many other developed countries.

i understand there are lots of bike shop guys in this forum. but hey guys, this frame is a few months old, its expensive and a decent company should stand behind its product if there is an obvious manufacturing defect.

btw, companies that treat me well as 2nd hand owner or when i am in trouble i will be back buying new stuff... here you can see the true quality of customer service.

but as many said. the rules are the way they are. if cannondale does not take responsibility, take the crash replacement frame. sell it. buy something cheaper to keep riding. and post the pics of the broken frame all over the internet ...

and yes. i am just a normal consumer. not linked to any bike company or involved in the bike business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Lots of warranty items these days are either transferable or the warranty continues with the product until its out of its time frame.

Just my thinking really.

OP, you did know the risk you were taking and that crap happens sometimes. Just sucks you got bit in the ass by it.

No good in rock gardens..
    Cannondale's warranty covers the frame for the lifetime of the original owner, if the bike is purchased from an authorised Cannondale dealer. You don't want a lecture on the warranty terms, which you seem to know, but on the other hand you want to complain about the warranty and about Cannondale, knowing full well the warranty doesn't apply in your case.

Not sure what you were hoping to achieve, other than to try and get some negative press out there by starting two threads on the topic.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Ridin' dirty!
    How about a "used bike" purchased at a cannondale dealer? Does that change anything? It still "used" but my dealer warrantied the frame anyways......The dealer could work with you as normally cannondale doesn't ask for the receipt...it's between the shop, rep and customer.
    On the other hand I wonder how far was your seatpot was inserted?
    Maybe the crack is caused by not inserting it to the proper minimum indicator? Not the one on the seatpost itself but as mentioned in the cannondale instructions.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    You know, I am not sure of the purpose of this thread, nor if there is any real productive direction other than to stir the pot.
    A $500 offer on a frame seems pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks to everyone who posted, I have had an eye opener for sure. Not trying to stir the pot or start bad press, just thought someone maybe had been in same situation and could help out.
    I guess I was very naive, I think there was some misunderstanding about my original post, I didn't know about Cannondales warranty going in to buy the bike, but that's neither here nor there now. I should have researched before I pulled the trigger. My mistake and I am paying for it. I guess I am used to the old fashion notion that a manufacturer makes a quality product then they stand behind it wether you are original owner or not- Example- Snap-on tools, Rigid, Toro, Honda mowers and Fluke Electronics just to name a few-like I said my bad. I assumed and it bit me in the ass.
    Once again, I appreciate everyones comments, I have learned a lot and that is why I posted here.

mtbr member
    I recently paid for a Cannondale Scalpel frame only, from an authorized dealer. The reason I paid soooo much for the frame?? You guessed it, if it fails, Cannondale gas my back. I've been riding these frames for years, just knowing, if I can break it, I'll get a new model. Problem is, I haven't been able to get the new frame!!! They are tough!!! BTW...Gotta say... It looks to me like somebody broke that frame by not putting the seatpost in to the minimum required depth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    On the other hand I wonder how far was your seatpot was inserted?
    Maybe the crack is caused by not inserting it to the proper minimum indicator? Not the one on the seatpost itself but as mentioned in the cannondale instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely View Post
    ...Gotta say... It looks to me like somebody broke that frame by not putting the seatpost in to the minimum required depth.
    Just to answer the above posters -my seat post is a Thompson and it is inserted to a depth of 6". The minimum insertion per Cannondales owners manual is 90mm or 3.54 inches. I think my seatpost is well past the minimum insertion depth putting that theory to rest and I weigh 235 lbs- about 65 lbs under Cannondales max listed weight, so no I'm not a fatty either.
    So wether or not my problem is resolved does not matter at this point but it is something that other Flash owners should be aware of and watch for because it could be a serious injury if a seatpost were to completely seperate on someone hauling ass down the trail.

Ridin' dirty!
    Just to answer the above posters -my seat post is a Thompson and it is inserted to a depth of 6". The minimum insertion per Cannondales owners manual is 90mm or 3.54 inches. I think my seatpost is well past the minimum insertion depth putting that theory to rest and I weigh 235 lbs- about 65 lbs under Cannondales max listed weight, so no I'm not a fatty either.
    So wether or not my problem is resolved does not matter at this point but it is something that other Flash owners should be aware of and watch for because it could be a serious injury if a seatpost were to completely seperate on someone hauling ass down the trail.
    Well, don't forget that you bought it used, so despite what the previous owner says you don't know if he maybe did had it not properly inserted....just saying.
    So, what are your plans? Are you going to take cdale's offer? Maybe not now, but maybe after you've saved up some more money? A new bike will be more than $500.- unless you plan to get a Huffy or something.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you take Cdale's offer on the frame, would you not be geting a lifetime warranty with this brand new frame? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that'd be another reason to take it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Well, don't forget that you bought it used, so despite what the previous owner says you don't know if he maybe did had it not properly inserted....just saying.
    So, what are your plans? Are you going to take cdale's offer? Maybe not now, but maybe after you've saved up some more money? A new bike will be more than $500.- unless you plan to get a Huffy or something.
    cdalemaniac, true, I can't actually verify if he ever rode it or not, but going on the condition of the bike when I took possesion, I have no reason to believe otherwise. He is about 2 inches shorter than I am and had the seatpost down a little lower than I so he had probably 7 inches installed, I don't see any reason for him having the seatpost extended so far out that his feet couldn't reach the pedals. But could he have done something? Sure, I have no way to prove he didn't, but it's highly unlikley.

As for what I am going to do, I have contacted Cannondale and am waiting on what they decide to do. If it comes down to the best they will do is the crash replacement then I will probably take it and get back on the trail and notch it up to lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    have you not got some form of household insurance which may cover this sort of incident, it might be a better course of action to look into that. because honestly mate i think you are wasting your time with c'dale.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
    If you take Cdale's offer on the frame, would you not be geting a lifetime warranty with this brand new frame? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that'd be another reason to take it.
    Yes. You would get a new warranty card.

Let's be clear here folks. The lifetime warranty is only for the original owner. If you buy it second hand, you are out of luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast