mtbr member

Flash 29er carbon ride quality?

For those of you who have the new flash 29er carbon, how does this bike feel with the save stays and post? Does it allow you to sit and pedal through some trail chop you'd otherwise be standing through with a regular hardtail? I've ridden Moots YBB for a season and didn't like it. My lbs is comparing the flash to the YBB, which I don't think is accurate comparison, besides he doesn't have any in stock for me to take for a spin. But in theory the Flash is suppose to be somewhat compliant over the small stuff, correct?
    I've looked at some of your builds in this forum and they are crazy light, some are sub 19lbs for a large flash, which may be the ticket for those races that involve miles of climbing. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My response on another thread:

"Whether or not the SAVE post is worth it to you is really determined on your style of riding a hardtail. There is no doubt that staying seated is advantageous keeping center of gravity low and weight even, also giving you better traction and confidence.

Riding a full suspension bike, you tend to stay seated more and are able to reap the benefits of the position. Riding hardtails is a different style altogether. The true benefit of the SAVE post is that it allows you to stay seated over a lot of terrain that a normal post would force you to stand because of discomfort. If you have the chance to demo or ride a SAVE post, do it. Or if you are one of those that have a SAVE post and are wondering what to do...next time you hit the trails, try to stay seated a lot more and see how it feels. I think you'll understand."
    Last edited by trauma-md; 12-29-2011 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I've had three flashes.

2010 Alloy
    2010 Carbon
    2012 Carbon Hi-Mod

The 2010 Carbon was really smooth, the other two not as much. The SAVE post helps, but the 2010 with a standard post still seemed smoother to me. The 2010 also always felt a bit soft to me, it wasn't slow because of it, it just felt that way sometimes.

The 2012 hi-mod definataly feels stiffer, more like the alloy. Just feels quicker in general than the 2010. The SAVE post makes a subtle difference over a standard post, but it's not huge. I obviously like them all as I'm on my third one.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just bought my flash carbon 3 29er today (first carbon ht) and I came from a 2010 Flash 1 aluminum "26er"

Night and day! I never knew carbon was so tight. The bike screams to be opened up down the singletrack and trails.

Go for the Flash. If not for the carbon thr lefty!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I've had three flashes.

2010 Alloy
    2010 Carbon
    2012 Carbon Hi-Mod

The 2010 Carbon was really smooth, the other two not as much. The SAVE post helps, but the 2010 with a standard post still seemed smoother to me. The 2010 also always felt a bit soft to me, it wasn't slow because of it, it just felt that way sometimes.

The 2012 hi-mod definataly feels stiffer, more like the alloy. Just feels quicker in general than the 2010. The SAVE post makes a subtle difference over a standard post, but it's not huge. I obviously like them all as I'm on my third one.
    I agree 100 percent with Brentos. I had a 2010 carbon version and the new flash is way better for all the reasons listed above. Mine is sub 20 pounds and is a terrific ride. The Enve UST carbon wheels make the package even better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash 29er carbon ride quality?-mountain-bike-ride-coast-007-medium-.jpg  

Flash 29er carbon ride quality?-mountain-bike-ride-coast-010-medium-.jpg  

Flash 29er carbon ride quality?-mountain-bike-ride-coast-014-medium-.jpg  

Flash 29er carbon ride quality?-flash-29er-2012-002-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice working bike!

mtbr member
    Very nice. Did you post this bike somewhere else on the forum? I see you switched the brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had the save technology on a TT bike and a flash carbon 29er. It has its limitations of course but it takes the edge of and leaves you feeling a little fresher. Virtually every road bike seems to have these tiny thin seat stays now so it's not exactly exclusive to cannondale although they appear to have progressed it in the MTB world.I wouldn't buy the bike just for that though, there are other selling points that the flash has to offer such as the fork, weight and geometry.