mtbr member
    May 2006

Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset

Hello all,

Proud new owner of an XL Carbon Flash 29er 2 (weight is 23.8lbs stock). I am looking to upgrade the wheelset to something lighter eventually and am wondering what others are doing:

Stock Wheelset:

DT 470 Rims with DT 340 Rear Hub and obviously Cannondale Lefty Front

My dilemna is that I would like to switch to Stans 355 or Crest rims but am being told they have a weight limit of 185 lbs (I am around 195 with gear) - any larger guys on these rims? That would leave me with the Arch rims that weigh the same amount as the X470 - ie 470 grams. So there would be not real benefit - as both rims can be converted using the Stans kit to tubeless.

In addition I would only be replacing the rear hub and switching out the 340 for either a 240 or Chris King hub. If I went with the 240 it would save roughly 80 grams and if I went with the CK it would save zero weight (although have better engagement).

So I am confused as I do not really see any options of building a lighter wheelset if the 355 or Crests cannot be used. I don't really want to spend the money on the 240 hub to save 80 grams.

Any thoughts? Are my numbers completely off?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The rear 340 is a nice hub. It would make no sense to dump it for something else.

If I were you, I would just sell the OEM wheelset and buy a new Stans wheelset. Not sure what either wheelset is worth to tell you the truth. Things get strange when trying to price Lefty hubs and boutique wheels.

Are those wheels made at DT Swiss? I don't know much about them.

mtbr member
    eBay the wheels get you some stans wheels with the lefty hub.

chris king hubs = overpriced hype

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why would I dump the factory wheelset for a Stan's wheelset when the Stan's Arches weigh the same as the X470 and both can set-up tubeless? Are the Stan's Wheelset a lot lighter than the Wheelset that comes on the 29er 2?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Why would I dump the factory wheelset for a Stan's wheelset when the Stan's Arches weigh the same as the X470 and both can set-up tubeless? Are the Stan's Wheelset a lot lighter than the Wheelset that comes on the 29er 2?

I don't know. I don't know why you started a thread that you are providing an answer for.

It's going to cost alot of money to shed the weight you want. Maybe you should look elsewhere. Like using ultra light latex tubes. That will knock more than half the weight off a standard tube. A standard butyl tube for a 29er is about 250 grams. You can buy ultralight latex tubes that weigh 100 grams or so.

You can go a step further and use 26 inch latex tubes which take another 15 grams off.

I would do that first. Total cost is about $7-8 a tube.

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset-p1010137.jpg  

Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset-p1010139.jpg  

Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset-p1010140.jpg  

Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset-p1010143.jpg  

Flash 29er 2 Carbon - Wheelset-p1010144.jpg  

Cannondale
    Spot Highline
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Are the Stan's Wheelset a lot lighter than the Wheelset that comes on the 29er 2?
    ZTR race = 1370 g

Maxxis Aspen tire = 530 g