Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    trail demon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    75

    Fitting new disc brake/hose on prophet

    Hello,

    Thinking of changing my brakes to a set of avid juicy 7's, currently using shimano dual shifters/brakes and prefer the old style setup with brakes & shifters seperate. Anyone know without me going to the shed & checking (lazy i know!) if i can get away with pulling out the current rear brake hose from the cable guides and install the new disc brake hoses without disconnecting brake hose from the lever to fit through the cable guides.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,535
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    Hello,

    Thinking of changing my brakes to a set of avid juicy 7's, currently using shimano dual shifters/brakes and prefer the old style setup with brakes & shifters seperate. Anyone know without me going to the shed & checking (lazy i know!) if i can get away with pulling out the current rear brake hose from the cable guides and install the new disc brake hoses without disconnecting brake hose from the lever to fit through the cable guides.

    Cheers
    Hey there, unfortunately, Avid uses DOT4 fluid, your current brakes use mineral oil. The other issue will be that most brakes have different fittings from one another, so even if your fluid were the same, say a Magura, the fittings would not fit. That said, I am running Magura calipers on my Dual Controls so you can plug and play, but fittings and fluid must be correct for each. Hope that helps!

  3. #3
    trail demon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hey there, unfortunately, Avid uses DOT4 fluid, your current brakes use mineral oil. The other issue will be that most brakes have different fittings from one another, so even if your fluid were the same, say a Magura, the fittings would not fit. That said, I am running Magura calipers on my Dual Controls so you can plug and play, but fittings and fluid must be correct for each. Hope that helps!

    sorry bit of a mix up here & i've not explained myself very well! i'm going to remove my current disc system (shimano) and install the avid juicy 7's & sram shifters. My question is can i remove/pull out the current rear brake hose from the frame cable guides without disconnecting the hose. Then fit the new avid rear brake system and slot the new hose into the cable guides without having to disconnect them.

    I hope that makes more sense.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pecka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    sorry bit of a mix up here & i've not explained myself very well! i'm going to remove my current disc system (shimano) and install the avid juicy 7's & sram shifters. My question is can i remove/pull out the current rear brake hose from the frame cable guides without disconnecting the hose. Then fit the new avid rear brake system and slot the new hose into the cable guides without having to disconnect them.

    I hope that makes more sense.
    Yes, you can do it, you just have to pull out those black seals that lock the hose inside of the cable guides. Try to squeeze them a bit before pulling out - it's much easier.

  5. #5
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,535
    Quote Originally Posted by d4re
    sorry bit of a mix up here & i've not explained myself very well! i'm going to remove my current disc system (shimano) and install the avid juicy 7's & sram shifters. My question is can i remove/pull out the current rear brake hose from the frame cable guides without disconnecting the hose. Then fit the new avid rear brake system and slot the new hose into the cable guides without having to disconnect them.

    I hope that makes more sense.
    Ah, gotcha. I guess if I read a bit more closely I could have gotten what you were saying. As stated above, yes, it's very easy! Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.