IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

First road test on the PROPHET!

I started the day by getting a flat tire biking to work and had to walk back home (2mi) to change and finally take my car... Needless to say i was late... But when i got there, there was a Cannondale Prophet 1000 waiting for me!

So i took it out for a spin and tryed it very roughly. I got on the bike and made all the shocks ajustements. Then i went out again... OH MY Freakin GOD! This bike is fast, this bike is thight, this bike is light, this bike can manual forever, this bike is stable!

The frame really takes advantage of the swinger shock! It pedals just like a hardtail, even standing up on the pedals (something my Giant VT2 doesn't do!). It accelerates really fast without any hesitations.

The platform feels firm AND plush when you need too. The bike jumps pretty well and the handling is amazing. The shock was on the XC position and the head angle was just steep enough to turn quickly but just slack enough to make it feel like a freeride.

The equipement on the bike is top notch. The SRAM triggers are amazing and the X9 derailleur is sharp and precise. The crankset seems to be stiff with the external bearings (like XTR and XT). The lefty fork is still to me the most amazing suspension system available. I love all Manitou products and my Minute 2 doesn't stand anywhere close to the precision handling of the lefty. The leg stands on it's own!

Now, i just made a 20-25min run outside mostly on pavement. I wanted to borrow the bike since i'm on vacation next week and going to ride the Kingdom Trails but the sales rep needed the bike cause he had a whole bunch of shop to show it to!

But here comes the best part: After September 12th, i will be able to get the bike for a WHOLE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

So more to come...

Oh, and by the way, 2004 Giant VT2 for sale!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... My new Prophet ships September 20!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay

But here comes the best part: After September 12th, i will be able to get the bike for a WHOLE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

So more to come...

I'm getting the 1000. I'm pretty excited. I have an '02 Jekyll 1000 (PUSH'ed) and an '04 Scalpel 3000.

I'll have all 50 bikes in their fleet at our place in November, maybe even the "new, mystery" model
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    I'm getting the 1000. I'm pretty excited. I have an '02 Jekyll 1000 (PUSH'ed) and an '04 Scalpel 3000.

I'll have all 50 bikes in their fleet at our place in November, maybe even the "new, mystery" model
    Our rep told me that the darwin will only be out in mid-november... they will also showcase the new caad8 in toronto an vegas... can t wait!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJay
    Our rep told me that the darwin will only be out in mid-november... they will also showcase the new caad8 in toronto an vegas... can t wait!
    They will be here November 16, 17, 18

Hopefully that is mid-November enough that they have it done. My rep said it won't be on the market for a couple months.

I should specify that I'm getting a Prophet. MaryEllen wants a Darwin, but they don't even had a product # for it yet!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    I am also getting the Prophet 1000 next year. I'll get the bike, sell the wheels and get Crossmax SL... Hopefully!

I would like a SRAM equipped bike with the Carbon LEFTY but the Prophet 4000 is a bit expensive for the small differences (other then wheels and fork!).

I'll probably put HAYES MAGS on the bike instead of the Juicy7... I'll see about that...

Now, the only thing i want is to get my hands on the Prophet for the week-end of SEPT 25-26th where all my club is going to the Kingdom Trails in Vermont... A week-end with 3 rides:
    - SAT: 25-30miles
    - SAT NIGHTRIDE: 10-15miles
    - SUN: 20-25 miles

Talk about an epic week-end to try out that bike! (I'll probably bring my VT2 in case something wrong happens!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm thinking of selling my Liquid and getting either a Blur or a Prophet.

I've ridden a Blur, and it rocks! I haven't even seen a Prophet in person yet, but it sounds great!

Question: When you adjust the suspension angle, do you lose any ride height in the back?
    Also, does anyone know what they weigh in at? I'm *hoping* for sub 30!
    Last edited by funboarder1971; 09-02-2004 at 10:55 AM.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971

I've ridden a Blur, and it rocks! I haven't even seen a Prophet in person yet, but it sounds great!

Question: When you adjust the suspension angle, do you lose any ride height in the back?
    Weights is gonna be near 25lbs for the lightest model and should be around 27lbs for the 1000... Lower models aren't spec for weight, just value!

When you steepen the head angle, you put the bbset higher to the ground for clearance. Set it to freeride and you'll get a lower center of gravity. Same as the jekyll.

They use pretty much the same design for the prophet and jekyll it's just that the ration is totally different then with the Prophet... Longer swingarm means more plus ride and doesn't bob as much with the SPV shocks!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971

Also considering a Prophet, the 2000 in my case.

When you change the geometry, you just attach one eye of the shock in a different place on the swingarm, the whole swingarm and rear wheel rotates a little and that makes the geometry change. That means the BB height changes and so does the standover height. So yes, when you slacken the head angle, the ride height is lowered a bit. Travels remains the same. They give the numbers for both setups in the geometry for the bikes on www.cannondale.com.

For the weight, it's probably under 30 pounds depending on which Prophet you choose but supposedly, the Prophet 4000 is in the 24 pounds range. I'm hoping the medium 2000 is under 27 pounds in stock specs but I haven't heard anything about different model weights.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

first post

Is the Prophet scheduled for late sept.?
    BigJay- Have you posted any pics? If not Can you?
    I will be testing the Prophet 2000 when my LBS gets one in then I will decide between a discounted Jeckyl and it. Time to get rid of the Circa 1990ish Rockhopper.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    The bike i've tested is exactly like the one on the website... Except that it had Magura Martha SL instead of the Juicy7 because Cannondale just didn't have any... So if you want Marta SL, order the bike right now and you'll get much better AND lighter brakes!