mtbr member
    Sep 2012

first ride on the prophet

all seems good except an odd noise coming from the lefty which I can only describe as sounding like lose head bearings has a knocking sound?

its only the first few cm's of the down then back to fully extended its doing it but that's pretty much the whole time it's being ridden.

is this normal or do I need to increase the spring preload perhaps?

or is it just the spring itself making the noise?

cheers.

LA CHÈVRE
    Sounds like the bearings just need to be reset, fairly simple. If you don't know how, check the Lefty manual or this thread.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Sounds like the bearings just need to be reset, fairly simple. If you don't know how, check the Lefty manual or this thread.

hi. Imeasured and reset it after rrebuilding it but perhaps after a few miles of riding they migrated to settle In?

will check it out asap as its a bit weird riding along with it clonking

Ridin' dirty!
    Check for:
    -Proper bearing reset,
    -Properly bleed damper,
    -Proper preloaded spring...sometimes you just have to twist it a bit to find the sweet spot where it doesn't rattle anymore.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Check for:
    -Proper bearing reset,
    -Properly bleed damper,
    -Proper preloaded spring...sometimes you just have to twist it a bit to find the sweet spot where it doesn't rattle anymore.
    cool will give it a go Mondaywhen iI can get a bb tool to get the cap off. I pulled up the boot worried the seal may have failed but nope no loss of fluid result!

pretty sure I bled the fluid properly when I re filled it and put the damper back in TPC shock fluid came out of the bleed screw fine.

Is their a set amount the adjustable preload collars should be wound down from the 19mm nut above them to preload the spring enough?

will also re check the shock length aand reset if it needs it.

I'm guessing this clonking noise isn't normal?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by delta1983 View Post
    cool will give it a go Mondaywhen iI can get a bb tool to get the cap off. I pulled up the boot worried the seal may have failed but nope no loss of fluid result!

pretty sure I bled the fluid properly when I re filled it and put the damper back in TPC shock fluid came out of the bleed screw fine.

Is their a set amount the adjustable preload collars should be wound down from the 19mm nut above them to preload the spring enough?

will also re check the shock length aand reset if it needs it.

I'm guessing this clonking noise isn't normal?
    Yep, not normal....air pockets/bubbles in the oil can cause clunking though.....don't crank the preset nuts down too much, hence the reason they had different type of springs...it's only meant for finetuning....
    Worst case scenario would be a lose rebound shaft....they are pressfitted so once the become lose there's nothing you can do but to toss the guts and get a new pbr damper cartridge as you can't get any parts for the old manitou internals anymore.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, not normal....air pockets/bubbles in the oil can cause clunking though.....don't crank the preset nuts down too much, hence the reason they had different type of springs...it's only meant for finetuning....
    Worst case scenario would be a lose rebound shaft....they are pressfitted so once the become lose there's nothing you can do but to toss the guts and get a new pbr damper cartridge as you can't get any parts for the old manitou internals anymore.....
    hm. ... sounds like I may have a small air pocket in the oil perhaps then?

I noticed in the rebuild instructions it wasn't clear that the shaft had to pulled the whole way up to get the 155cc of oil in so messed that up the first time round and pushed most the oil ou. .. oops.

luckily the shock is super easy to strip so wouldn't take long to do an oil top up and bleed. will check the spring preloa . see if it's lose while I'm at it!

cheers for the help:-D

mtbr member
    In the past mine has made that sound when it was rebounding too fast. Basically the sound of it topping out. It was a hard clunk kind of noise. Maybe that's it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    In the past mine has made that sound when it was rebounding too fast. Basically the sound of it topping out. It was a hard clunk kind of noise. Maybe that's it?

what was the fix?

mtbr member
    I was afraid you were going to ask that. I sounded all cool until the part where I have to tell you I took it to the shop to get fixed. I've had that happen to me twice in the time that I've had it. Both times a regular service fixed the issue. I would imagine someone that does maintenance on them would be able to explain how to fix it.

Ridin' dirty!
    what was the fix?
    Proper bleed.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    I was afraid you were going to ask that. I sounded all cool until the part where I have to tell you I took it to the shop to get fixed. I've had that happen to me twice in the time that I've had it. Both times a regular service fixed the issue. I would imagine someone that does maintenance on them would be able to explain how to fix it.
    lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Proper bleed.....
    just waiting on my bb spanner to arriv . In post

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ok stripped and re filled the oil and bled other out think it's fixed. shock feels and responds better now. The upper and lower adjuster knobs actually make quite a big difference. from a small adjustment now

Ridin' dirty!
    Ok stripped and re filled the oil and bled other out think it's fixed. shock feels and responds better now. The upper and lower adjuster knobs actually make quite a big difference. from a small adjustment now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

and its still knocking...... :-(

Ridin' dirty!
    and its still knocking...... :-(

Strip it completely apart and check for worn and torn parts.....if you don't know how to do that or you know how to take it apart but can't judge wether or not something is worn beyond the point of proper function I'd suggest you send it to Mendon for a service then....it might need some "certified lovin" .....