I like to ride my bicycle

First ride of my Rush 4

On Saturday I took my new Rush out for the first ride, 40km in pretty steep terrain, some firetrails, lots of singletrack, up and down. Some very tight technical stuff too. And I love the bike!

I was a hardtail holdout, and still love my Jamis Exile steelie. It will become a singlespeed soon. Many of the duallies I've ridden in the past didn't impress me because of their tendency to bob. However I was very impressed with my brother's Santa Cruz Superlight, a single pivot like the Rush. So I took the plunge, got the Rush, and glad I did! It climbs like a hardtail and descends with aplomb. Actually, I'm thinking it might be set up a little too firmly. The shop set it up for my weight, but I feel it could be just a little plusher without harming its climbing ability. Unfortunately the bike is back in the shop now because both the fork and shock were leaking oil after the ride. It's an 07 Rush, so may have been sitting around for a while, which could have resulted in dry seals?

Lovin' the Lefty. I didn't know anything about them before, except that I thought they looked weird. First Cannondale, first Lefty, first dually. In that tight singletrack it excelled, so very stiff. In tight, downhill turns that would cause the Manitou R7 on my Jamis to flex as the weight transfers to the front wheel, the Lefty felt perfectly stiff and true. Very stable and firm under brakes too.

Basically, this bike is everything I hoped for. It combines the good points of my hardtail with the advantages of a dually. Hardtail holdout no longer!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My Rush 4 also had a lefty that leaked out of the top when new. I took it back and they sent the fork to Cannondale, they said they just put too much oil in it, and it has been fine ever since. After a while you will need to learn how to do the bearing reset. It is very easy, there are threads here on the forum on how to do it, and a tech doc. on the Cannondale website. Enjoy the bike, I've had mine for two years this fall, and still love it