Prophet converted!

First ride on my new dale....should I be upset?

Today I took my new F3 (hard tail w/ caffeine frame) out for my first real ride. After about 2 hours I stopped because I had to put my chain back on. While I was holding the bike in the air with the back tire spinning I noticed that the cassette looked wobbly. It wasnt severe but something is definitely bent.

I didnt drop off any cliffs or jumps, but there was some rough terrain that I rode over. I'm only about 160 pounds and I thought this was a decent bike, so I didnt expect it to get damaged so easily. Should I be mad, or is this to be expected?

Sorry for the lame question, but i'm a MTB newbie....just trying to learn.

FWIW, here is a link to the bike specs: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7FS3.html

mtbr member
    I would be a little miffed. The problem with purchasing a bike at a bike shop is that you run the risk of someone putting it together wrong or not adjusting the deraillers or brakes properly. It happened to when I bought my f400 3 years ago. It never shifted right and the LBS did not set the High derailler stop properly, so my chain was popping off constantly.

I wouldn't blame it on the bike though

Prophet converted!
    Thanks for the quick response and input.

Just to make sure i've clearly stated what my problem is: I'm concerned with the rear hub that is apparently bent.

I'm not concerned with the fact that the chain fell off; perhaps I should have left that out of the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would be a little rattled if my brand new bike had a damaged hub. At least you still have warranty so you can take it to your lbs and have it repaired. Hopefully this doesn't keep you off your bike for very long. I just a got a caffeine in august and I love it, I'm sure you will feel the same way once you get it tuned up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    Thanks for the quick response and input.

Just to make sure i've clearly stated what my problem is: I'm concerned with the rear hub that is apparently bent.

I'm not concerned with the fact that the chain fell off; perhaps I should have left that out of the post.
    Do you mean the read 9-speed PG950 cassette?
    Unless you shifted while pedaling as hard as you could (even then it would be difficult to do) it should be bent. I have the exact same sram cassette and have put upward of 750 miles on it and it still shifts fine.

I would take it back to your LBS, just my 2 cents, or maybe I'm just dense and I'm totally not understanding your problem. It's happened before

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by gillfish
    I would be a little rattled if my brand new bike had a damaged hub. At least you still have warranty so you can take it to your lbs and have it repaired. Hopefully this doesn't keep you off your bike for very long. I just a got a caffeine in august and I love it, I'm sure you will feel the same way once you get it tuned up.
    Any idea if the bike shop will hassle me, or try to say that I was riding it too hard? I'm not totally sure what the terms of Cannondale's warranty are. Thanks for the help.

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74
    Do you mean the read 9-speed PG950 cassette?
    Unless you shifted while pedaling as hard as you could (even then it would be difficult to do) it should be bent. I have the exact same sram cassette and have put upward of 750 miles on it and it still shifts fine.

I would take it back to your LBS, just my 2 cents, or maybe I'm just dense and I'm totally not understanding your problem. It's happened before
    Yes, that's the cassette that I have. However, i'm not sure if it's the cassette that is damaged, or the hub. I figured the hub was bent, but i'm no bike expert. When the back wheel spins I can see the cassette wobbling. Does this sound like a bad cassette or a bent hub? Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Whole casette wobling

When you spin the wheel, is the whole casette wobling or just one or two sprockets? You can check by seeing if the spacing between the sprockets remains the same when spinning the wheel. If so, it might be the hub, if not, probably the cassette.

It happend to me once with a shimano XT casette, brand new and misshifted on a steep climb, one sprocket was bent!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If the whole cassette is oscillating slightly as the wheel spins, and it sits there, freewheeling, it's fairly normal, and most will do it a bit. If it occurs during pedalling, you may have a loose hub or a bent cassette cog, but a bent hub is unlikely. Best advice, take it back to the shop and ask them, we can't see it, so we'll play with your problem all day, like a cat with a dead mouse
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    When you spin the wheel, is the whole casette wobling or just one or two sprockets? You can check by seeing if the spacing between the sprockets remains the same when spinning the wheel. If so, it might be the hub, if not, probably the cassette.

It happend to me once with a shimano XT casette, brand new and misshifted on a steep climb, one sprocket was bent!
    The whole cassette is wobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    If the whole cassette is oscillating slightly as the wheel spins, and it sits there, freewheeling, it's fairly normal, and most will do it a bit. If it occurs during pedalling, you may have a loose hub or a bent cassette cog, but a bent hub is unlikely. Best advice, take it back to the shop and ask them, we can't see it, so we'll play with your problem all day, like a cat with a dead mouse
    It does it while freewheeling; I havent noticed it much while pedaling. I have also noticed that if I pick up the back of the bike and get the rear wheel spinning fast, the back of the bike seems really unbalanced and shaky.

I guess its back to the bike shop

LA CHÈVRE
    Loose hub maybe? So the wheel itself is loose? Anyway, bring it back where you bought it, tell them about the problem and they should take care of it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Like catnip for people
    The whole cassette is wobbling.

It does it while freewheeling; I haven't noticed it much while pedaling. I have also noticed that if I pick up the back of the bike and get the rear wheel spinning fast, the back of the bike seems really unbalanced and shaky.

I guess its back to the bike shop
    My cassette oscillates while you freewheel it... I was told that "Some of them do that, it's fairly normal" and not to worry about it... I'll also mention that my hub was loose... and that gave the impression of the back wheel wobbling around as I rode.. It also give me endless brake problems... I just took the back wheel off and tightened the hub by hand and it's been fine ever since.

mtbr member
    How bought checking your quick release for the wheel.

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    My cassette oscillates while you freewheel it... I was told that "Some of them do that, it's fairly normal" and not to worry about it... I'll also mention that my hub was loose... and that gave the impression of the back wheel wobbling around as I rode.. It also give me endless brake problems... I just took the back wheel off and tightened the hub by hand and it's been fine ever since.
    How do you tighten the hub? I have a feeling this might be the problem, as I've also been having brake problems as you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback.

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    How bought checking your quick release for the wheel.
    What would I be checking for? To make sure the quick release is tight, or to make sure the wheel properly seated in the frame? Or something else?

mtbr member
    What would I be checking for? To make sure the quick release is tight, or to make sure the wheel properly seated in the frame? Or something else?

Check for both. With the bike upside down, I push down on the rear wheel while I engage the QR to make sure it's seated in the frame. I also make sure my QR is pretty tight. When it's loose, the back end will flex and move.

As far as tightening the hub, I recommend reading up on it, check the web on how to's. You need a chain whip and some special wrenches. Have your LBS show you how they do it.

Prophet converted!
    Ok, so I just got back from the bike shop. Here's the scoop:

1. They said something is damaged and it needs to be replaced. It could take up to 1-2 weeks depending on cannondale. They suggest that I ride it until the rainy season, then return it.

2. Since the bike is only 4 weeks old, I asked if they would give me a full refund if I buy the Prophet 5. They said yes. (it's marked down to 1099, so it would only cost me an extra 200 dollars)

3. So, what are everyones thoughts on the prophet 5? I have one major concern: can the front tire be easily removed so I can put the bike in my car? I've got a few other questions too, but i'll post them in a new thread.

As always, opinions and comments are much appreciated. And thanks to those who have already helped me with this issue!

mtbr member
    Ok, so I just got back from the bike shop. Here's the scoop:

1. They said something is damaged and it needs to be replaced. It could take up to 1-2 weeks depending on cannondale. They suggest that I ride it until the rainy season, then return it.

2. Since the bike is only 4 weeks old, I asked if they would give me a full refund if I buy the Prophet 5. They said yes. (it's marked down to 1099, so it would only cost me an extra 200 dollars)

3. So, what are everyones thoughts on the prophet 5? I have one major concern: can the front tire be easily removed so I can put the bike in my car? I've got a few other questions too, but i'll post them in a new thread.

As always, opinions and comments are much appreciated. And thanks to those who have already helped me with this issue!
    I own a 2006 prophet 800 and love it. I consider it to be one of the best purchases I've made.

Regarding the front wheel, it's relatively easy to take off, but not as quick as a QR. You need an allen wrench, and have to unscrew the front brake caliper and then unscrew the wheel off of the axle. It takes me about a minute to do.

I ended up splurging and getting a roof rack with a thule bigmouth carrier. It makes taking the bike around a bit easier

Roof rack for Prophet?