mtbr member

First Ride for a long time!

It's been a long time since I've been on a proper trail. I've been without a bike for a while after it was stolen and having two young kids (3yrs old & 3 months old), my free time is a bit limited. I picked up my new bike last week (2010 Cannondale RZ 140 3Z) and finally got to take it out tonight.

A two hour loop around a local trail and my arse is sore (from the seat and a lack of cycling shorts ok?!). I have a couple of battle scars, mostly because the bloody cleats wouldn't disengage when I really needed to put my foot on the ground. Picture a man on a bike failing to make it up a steep hill, coming to a complete stop then falling sideways while still attached to his pedals....that was me!

I ache in a lot of places, but I really enjoyed the ride and feel good for finally getting out. The guy I rode with was 10yrs older but much fitter, but he took it slow, stopped to let me catch up and warned me of most of the tricky spots on the trail.

I really like the bike. I need to fiddle with the suspension settings and if possible, find some way to ease the tension on the pedals. What really suprised me was the Hammerschmidt. It really came in handy for the top of the hill downchange. Perfect ratio to make if over the crest when I started to lose speed.

Sorry, but no pics of the trail, I didn't have any time to stop apart from falling off. The sun was almost gone by the time we made it back to the cars.

I'm sure I will be aching a lot more in the morning!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Get some flats and stop worrying and keep your mind on enjoying the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Great to hear you had a good time! I recently picked up the same bike at my LBS in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I can't wait to take it out to the mountains but unfortunately I'll have to wait till everything thaws out. Are there any other first impressions you got out of the bike? I can't wait to take my baby out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Down here in Ontario, its mud and snow- cant wait till it dries a bit!

mtbr member
    I've done another ride on the same trail: Runkeeper Log

I must have done better, because I went a lot further in about the same amount of time. I still fell off a couple of times, but I think I'm getting better at the pedal exit. Another street ride this week to practice and I think I have it sussed. Just need to get my brain to do it subconsciously now.

Still loving the Hammerschmidt. Cant fault it so far. Yes there is a slight bit of noise from the crank in overdrive and it clicks quite loudly if you back pedal, but the function is great.

I'm still comparing it to my 10 year old riftzone, but the riding position is more comfortable, handling is very responsive and brakes are a huge step up from the old V-brakes.

I don't know how it compares to similar FS bikes, but it weighs 29.5lbs. Feels light enough to me though.

Nick, good luck on your first ride. Hope you dont have to wait much longer for the snow to clear. I'll have to deal with a Dallas Summer in a few months with temps well over 100F. Let me know what you think of the bike once youve had a ride.