mtbr member
    Aug 2007

First Ride Impressions on my new F3

So, I spent the last few days getting comfortable with clipless. I had a prob. with my cleats and bad experience with REI- if anyone read those threads I posted. Prob. is solved and I decided to experiment in my yard for a couple of days getting used to being clipped in- and getting out in a jam. My brakes are broken in- so I went riding tonight.

Wow, this new Caffeine frame just begs for speed. I'm 6' and 150 so I opted for the M frame. This feels like my old BMX bike I used to race many years ago (a Dyno). The headshock with 80mm is perfect for the gnarly singletrack that is about 1 mile from my house- lots of roots, rocks, streams, loam, and trees everywhere! But I just point and she's there- just flows so smooth. She feels a tad heavy, but that is an easy fix- costly though. I'm pretty out of shape so I only did a 3 miler. The x7 is very smooth- why can't they just put on the 9??? NO complaints though. The geometry is amazing and you can tell Cannondale didn't skimp here- just a killer race machine aching for more. Hopefully, I can get in shape quick- cause this bike begs for an all day ride. One thing- the saddle is crap! My cheeks are so numb and sore. Any good ideas? I'm no weight weenie. I'm going with the Thompson Elite with a new saddle- first upgrades.

Overall, you would be hard pressed to find a XC hardtail at a grand that can beat the looks and ride of this machine. Just amazing. (I researched for over 6 months prior to this investment- so I have seem 'em all).

Sorry for the long post, peace, J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good to hear that your enjoying the new ride. I agree with you 100% on the saddle. My butt was not feeling so good after the 3 hour ride i went on this week. How do you like riding with clipless pedals?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love 'em! Never realized how much difference being attatched to your bike makes. Steering, hucking, hopping and pedal upstrokes are so much easier. Do you have any suggestions for a good saddle? How do you like that Lefty speed? peace, J