mtbr member
    Jan 2004

First race on Scalpel!

I raced my new Scalpel for the first time this weekend at the NORBA NCS race in Waco Tx and, well, there are still some bugs I'm working out. One thing I've found out is that C-dale support is top-notch (we'll get to hat is a sec.)

My team and I arrived on Friday (left Thursday night) in time to do some preriding and last minute bike setup. All of us were riding bikes no more than 2-3 rides old and that was definitly on our mind. I swaped the stock 1.7" Scorpions out for 2.1" Pythons and it made the bike ride like a new machine- much easier to handle and the corning was 100% better. I also slowed the rebound a little in my shocks.

The C-dale mech. that was onsite with the demo trailer was awesome. He fixed my rear lockout (which hadn't been working) and helped me fine tune my shifting. Plus, he showed me how to rotate my front lockout lever out of the way so I wasn't hitting it with my knee when I stood. The lockouts were really important for the Waco course beacuse of the long uphill start on a paved road.

The race was slightly more frustrating. Luckly, I never crahsed (but came darn close). However, my stem kept loosening up and moving slightly off angle to the right of my front wheel . Stoping to fix it cost me second place. I had that baby torqued on there to spec before the race and then way past when I had to stop during the race and fix it. Again, the mech came to my rescue. After I got a different stem (after the race of course) the problem went away.

Enough of my mechanicals. The Scalpel rode great. I really noticed a lot more confisence on the decents compared to my hardtail last year. The cornering is the best aspect I can pick out. It likes to be leaned rather than steered and the fast decents on the 2nd half of the course were a dream. I actually noticed better climbing traction after I unlocked my rear shock too.

The verdict so far- as long as there are no mechanicals, this bike is a purpose built rocket for xc racing.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Great days

Great to hear how your race went -- only better days are ahead I have also noticed that my c-dale climbs better without it being locked out! Hopefully even better once i get my shock back from being rebuilt from darren at push
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shock setup?

How much pressure are you running in your shock and how much do you weigh? (I'm assuming you've got the DT Swiss.)

Thanks!
    colorider

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcgeek
    I actually noticed better climbing traction after I unlocked my rear shock too.
    Yep, I've been touting the virtues of the "Hardnose" setup (locked front, active rear) since I started riding a Scalpel last year. Allows you to stand and hammer with no noticable bob, and maintaining that comfort and traction when seated.

Glad to hear that the first outing was a success, and that C-dale took care of you!
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815