mtbr member
    Jun 2011

first 29er - looking at the SL2 and a flash

I know I want a 29er and my LBS can get me a 2011 SL2 for $900, which looks like a straight shot deal.

I've also been perusing ebay and it looks like I could get a better used bike for just a bit more, the flash 3 for example.

I ride about 3 times a week and some of the trails can be rocky, rooty, small drops and tight corners and switchbacks. I love going fast, corners and taking advantages of ledges and small jumps for weak air.

Think its a good idea to go after a flash or something similar as my first 29er and second bike ever?

Ps - made a similar thread in 29ers ill try to delete

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Might want to read this post before buying used.

Flash 29er Cracked Frame Warranty Issue.

I bought a used Cannondale in the past and was well aware of the the warranty specifics.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    good point on that, the SL2 buy definitely looks like the safer beginner option. I talked with the seller and it looks like it'll be about $350 more for the used Flash 3, which looks worth it.

What's the biggest difference between the bikes? Weight? What is the weight difference like, anyway?

Also how's the sturdiness on the Flash, lefty's have no problem? I would think cornering would be rougher on that fork setup, only supporting the wheel from 1 side. Speaking of this, I usually remove the front wheel to get the bike in my car, is this going to be a ***** with the flash?

Any downsides to getting such a nice bike as a somewhat newer rider? The thing I like best about it is that I love the sport and want to improve, and the Flash looks like he'll push me.

mtbr member
    I'd probably go for the flash. The lefty fork upgrade over the deuce makes the $350 immediately worth it. I have a Deuce fork on my F5 and it's not a very satisfying feel. I've only ridden the lefty in a very limited basis (took my friend's for a spin) and it tracks perfectly and feels the same as any other high end fork in terms of how well it tracks.

I don't know the stats on weight difference between the frames of the sl2 and the flash (I'd be curious to know), but the components with the flash are certainly lighter and higher end.