Cannondale Snob

Are the Fire hubs worth keeping?

I've been upgrading my '02 F600 to XT group-o and was wondering if the Cannondale Fire hubs are worth keeping or if I should upgrade those to XT as well?
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm no expert but recently went through the same thing on my prophet and decided to keep the Fire rear hub (I have a lefty front). They are heavy but so are the XT hubs and my LBS didn't think that the XT would be much of an upgrade. I just gave the fire a full service and it is working fine. I would have liked to go to a high quality hub with sealed bearings and / or a solid axle but just don't have the cash right now.

mtbr member
    They are very easy to service.. ill give em that but I had endless trouble with mine loosening.. if your are staying tight and there is no play then keep em cos they are solid rollers. As soon as you get play look else where.

LA CHÈVRE
    Personnally, I would use a XT before a Fire... Even a LX would be better. There is more than weight figures to look at. The Formula made Fire and Wind hubs have super slow engagement, are among the less durable hubs I have ever used and yes, they are heavy too. XT hubs can be found for cheap and are easy to work on, they will last a long time, just a tune up now and then and new bearings after a while. If you are going to change the hub though and want a great wheel, it could be nice to spring some additional money and get a nicer hub. DT, Hadley, Hope, Chris King among others... But it's not a must.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :