Ex-Clydesdale

Figuring out what to do with my Prophet...

Bought my '05 Prophet 1000 quite a few years ago, it was a demo bike shown in different shops by the sales rep, that's why it has Maguras instead of Avids. With a 15 month old daughter and another girl arriving in April (time to start shopping for guns and clean them in the living room when boys start coming over), I barely hit the trails anymore (heck, it's been well over a year at least). I do still ride about 600-700 miles per month though, commuting daily to work. I sold my triathlon bike, so now I have my converted MTB as a commuter (steel frame, rigid fork, fenders, rack), a road bike (frame won't go bigger than 28cc tires), and my Prophet. I've been thinking of converting the commuter back to a rigid MTB and doing some combination of either selling the road bike and/or picking up a new 700cc commuter, but in the end I don't see a place in the stable anymore for the Prophet. There aren't a ton of trails close by in the Atlanta area, and to be honest, a fully rigid is appealing to me, I think I'm turning into a retro grouch.

I've been looking around, trying to figure out what they're going for, but completed ebay listings are all over the place, and it's virtually non-existent on craigslist. This isn't a fishing-for-offers-buy-my-bike post, I'll pay for a mtbr ad if I decide selling it is the way to go. Anyway, it's been used quite a bit, so it has scuffs and scrapes, the finish on the Truvativ cranks went to hell (seems to have been a common problem), some minor rust on bolts here and there, etc. Any comments on what it might be worth?

I've also thought about parting it out after seeing how much a Lefty alone goes for... I could possibly keep things like the brakes for a commuter build.

Yeh, I think this is more of a rambling post than anything, using the forum as a soundboard, and it's a dreaded "what's it worth?" thread, too. What would you do? Keep it whole? Part it out? Ride it at 90mph while holding onto a tow rope on the interstate?

Yep, that's a Mendon sticker on the fork

And to think I never had a chance to use this, I thought it was cool as heck when I picked it up
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    And to think I never had a chance to use this, I thought it was cool as heck when I picked it up
    Excuse my ignorance, but this is so cool
    Is it a toolbox, or what?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    FWIW, that fork is worth more than the whole bike. I'd sell the rest, buy a Pugsley, slap that fork on the front, and ride the next wave of awesome.

But that's just me....

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by hellari View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but this is so cool
    Is it a toolbox, or what?
    It's a tool that fits inside the headtube Pretty neat design, two tire levers, tube patches, chain tool, usual allen wrench tools, torx tool for rotor bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    FWIW, that fork is worth more than the whole bike. I'd sell the rest, buy a Pugsley, slap that fork on the front, and ride the next wave of awesome.

But that's just me....

The Lefty is definitely my favorite part of the bike (and would fetch the most on fleabay to put towards a commuter). I have an old cannondale hardtail frame I could put it on, but it's a clunky CAAD2, hardly worth it, and I don't think the geometry would play well since it originally came with a 60mm headshok I think.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Gotcha, well, I know it isn't a for sale thread, but, should you decide to offload, you know who to call first!

Lots of anxious fatbike owners out there, wanting some squish
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I have an 05 Prophet. I've ended up buying 2 others. One for my GF and one for my son. The short of it is it's easy for me to swap parts around. I paid $600 for my Gf's as it looked like it was barely ever ridden. The guy claimed it only had about 40 miles on it. To tell you the truth, I believe it. The other one I bought I paid $480 for. I've seen one on our local Craigslist for $600 and it hasn't sold yet. My guess is if you sold the wheels with tires on them, the frame, and the lefty separately you'd probably make more money with it. When I say frame I'd include all the stuff installed on it now. I've seen a few bikes tricked out with nice custom rims etc for $1000 but they didn't seem to sell or were on there for a long time. I think if you are in the 6-700 range you could get lucky. I think if you posted it for like 4-5 it would move fast. I saw one while I was looking for an XL (btw, if that's an XL I may be interested.) that sold on Ebay for around $700 with $100 in shipping but it had 650b wheels on it.