Thread: FFD to TPC

mtbr member

FFD to TPC

im thinking about changing my lefty max FFD to a TPC damping. Is TPC really noticably smoother? Last an FFD lefty max can be changed to TPC, correct?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    im thinking about changing my lefty max FFD to a TPC damping. Is TPC really noticably smoother? Last an FFD lefty max can be changed to TPC, correct?
    Smoother, plusher, these are words often used to describe the difference. Your mileage may vary. You can easily do a TPC from FFD, for about $115.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mnt bike laws of physics

and a lockout....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    ??

Unless I'm confused (which happens quite a bit), The lefty max doesn't have a lockout, even with the TPC dampener

mnt bike laws of physics

??

damn...mabey I'm the one confused

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Lefty Max has no lock out and cannot be upgraded to it either. That is probably it's only weakness. I will be upgrading to the TPC after I finish this race in Nov.

Mr MendonCycleSmith is one of our Lefty experts here. I hear he does great work, at a great price with good turn around. My Lefty will be going to him soon. I hear he can get the weight of your Lefty Max down to 83 grams!!!!!! Or, maybe the guy I was chatting with was just a really happy customer. I live on the west coast and have not found anyone close to do any kind of Lefty work. All the LBS send them to Cannondale on the east coast. So, either way, my Lefty is going across the country.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I hear he can get the weight of your Lefty Max down to 83 grams!!!!!!
    Maybe with helium balloons attached

That's less than a 1/4 pound lol

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba74

Yeah, the guy was just happy with the service. I see so few people on the trail with a lefty, let alone resting in the same place. So, we got to chatting. He was on a job out here, west coast, from the east coast for a month and shipped his bike out to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Yeah, the guy was just happy with the service. I see so few people on the trail with a lefty, let alone resting in the same place. So, we got to chatting. He was on a job out here, west coast, from the east coast for a month and shipped his bike out to ride.
    I hear you. On my 10-day trip to western Colorado last month, I saw 0 prophets and 0 lefties. I did run into one guy on the trail who jokingly said that my fork was missing the other half. I then proceeded to smoke him on the techy downhill section

mtbr member
    May 2007

I have tried the balloons. They make too much noise and block your vision of the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hear you. On my 10-day trip to western Colorado last month, I saw 0 prophets and 0 lefties. I did run into one guy on the trail who jokingly said that my fork was missing the other half. I then proceeded to smoke him on the techy downhill section
    Yes, you don't get the "full affect" of being a Lefty owner unless you get that stupid "where's the other half of your fork" comment by someone.

mnt bike laws of physics
    [QUOTE=ziscwg]Lefty Max has no lock out and cannot be upgraded to it either. That is probably it's only weakness. I will be upgrading to the TPC after I finish this race in Nov.QUOTE]

I used to have a Manitou fork with TPC and so I just ASSumed that the Lefty version of it had one too. The messed up thing about it is that I never used the lockout on the Manitou because it was only 80mm of travel. If I had a lockout on my Lefty Max, I would be using it all the time.
    IMO the suspension designers have it @ss backward when they put lockouts on forks with little travel and don't on the longer travel bikes that are made to pedal up hills.
    I suppose that is a one reason Cdale is putting the TALAS on the Prophet this year - mabey people complained about not having a lockout.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    l
    I suppose that is a one reason Cdale is putting the TALAS on the Prophet this year - mabey people complained about not having a lockout.
    From what I read here by more people that know way more than me about Cdales, Answer/Manatou got bought by Hayes and decided not to continue with the Lefty Max 140 internals subcon.