mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Feedback wanted on 2011 Jekyll 4 and 5

Anybody have one of these bikes? If so, how do you like it? How is it holding up? Other than the cheap wheelset, it seems like a solid bike. Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just picked my jekyll 5 up this week when it was on sale. Due for my first real ride tomorrow night and then a longer one on satruday. Will keep you posted on performance and pics later in the week. First impressions are that it's a sweet looking bike and expecting big things from the rear shock!
    Pingu

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Jekyll 5 review

Here you go Climber Rob:-

Just been out on the first proper ride on my new Jekyll 5. My last bike was a 2006 Prophet 2MX which I will be comparing the Jekyll against. Both have Kenda Nevegal tires...just in case you were thinking about that.

Terrain.... the terrain I was riding on was just local trails that were hard packed dirt with the odd bumpy / rooty section. Steep climbs and descents, about 350m of climbing all together. I will get into the mountains on Saturday on real rocky stuff and let you know how that goes on later. In the meantime.......

Climbing: I noticed a real difference in climbing, especially when out the saddle. The bike had more traction and I just felt more at home on the Jekyll. I tried climbing various gradients and only noticed the front end popping up a couple of times compared to on the prophet. I felt like more of my power was being transferred thru the pedals and not being lost in suspension bob that my prophet suffered from. In fact I didn't really notice any pedal bob from the shock in the xc 90mm mode.

Flats: on flat terrain I definitely felt that I was faster and could cover a greater distance in the Jekyll compared to the 2MX.

DH: Stable and good brakes for what I was riding on. The fork set up needs to be tinkered with to my preferences.... I have them below the recommended pressure for my weight and they still feel solid. Love the pop lock switch for changing between 90mm and 150mm. When doing jumps etc the back end travel felt very plush and limitless.

Rear Shock: I was setting the shock yesterday and it requires a lot of pressure to get working properly... not an issue to set up though. I found it easy. As just mentioned above I noticed no bobbing when sat pedaling and it performed well in the 150mm mode on DH stuff.

Issues so far: - I have noticed play in the rear shock area when lifting the bike by the seat tube. Has any other Jekyll owners noticed this?? I had the same issues with my prophet the whole time I had it!! I do not notice it while riding the bike though. Other than that the seat was quite noisy but i have always noticed that with new saddles.

Upgrades:- Yes the wheel set is shitty, but they are round and they do their job perfectly!! I would consider installing a dropper post as I noticed that I couldn't get my ass off the back on the bike as well as the prophet for going down really steep terrain. I think possibly the top tube is longer?

Anyway.......... for the $2,100 that I spent to buy the bike I think it was a real bargain!

I would recommend to anyone who didn't want to shell out the extra cash for the carbon models.....

By the way....... is the colors of my bike 2011?? I can't see the same colors on the Cannondale website???
    Last edited by Pingu; 09-23-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Pingu

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Pingu. I'm coming from a Prophet, as well. How would you compare the geometry/feel of the two bikes, overall? Are you riding the same frame size?

If you get a chance to ride some tight, technical single-track, I'd be very interested in hearing your feedback, as that's most of what I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok Rob,

Went out yesterday for a ride on 44km of single-track.

To start off I should correct the typo's above. It turns out that I have a Jekyll 4 (2012) and not a 2011 Jekyll 5 as I first thought.

Yes both bikes are mediums.

The clicking noise that I mentioned earlier was down to the shock being slightly loose. Tightened it up and it hasn't happened again. The seat is still noisy though.

In terms of the two bikes on single-track, I definitely think the Jekyll is faster on all terrain. In the 90mm mode you can sprint with great traction and you do not feel like you are bobbing about on the bike. In the 150mm mode ripping down tight single-track was sweet the back ended felt well planted and as if the suspension travel was limitless. I was certain trying more air time moves than normal. i definatley can noticed the head angle change when switching between the modes.

I tired having a shot on the Prophet last week after riding the Jekyll and it felt really slow and as if all my energy was being lost through excessive bob from the rear shock.

Safe to say I think you would do well on Jekyll!

In terms of size comparison, there is less stand over height on the Jekyll and due to the increase in sag set up, I am noticing that my saddle (height whilst not sitting on the bike) is higher. Cockpit length I think is more or less the same. And when I initially sat on the bike it felt like the front end was much higher but Iím used to it now.

Brakes are 185mm rotors and are great compared to the 160mm/ 140mm set up I had previously.

One thing to note was that I had numerous pedal strikes yesterday........ not sure if that was just because of the terrain or what. I will need to compare the bb heights between the two bikes.

All in all I think it is a great bike and Iím very happy to have made the switch.
    I am heading to Moab next week for a week of riding so will let you know about that on my return.
    Pingu

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

play

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Here you go Climber Rob:-

Just been out on the first proper ride on my new Jekyll 5. My last bike was a 2006 Prophet 2MX which I will be comparing the Jekyll against. Both have Kenda Nevegal tires...just in case you were thinking about that.

Terrain.... the terrain I was riding on was just local trails that were hard packed dirt with the odd bumpy / rooty section. Steep climbs and descents, about 350m of climbing all together. I will get into the mountains on Saturday on real rocky stuff and let you know how that goes on later. In the meantime.......

Climbing: I noticed a real difference in climbing, especially when out the saddle. The bike had more traction and I just felt more at home on the Jekyll. I tried climbing various gradients and only noticed the front end popping up a couple of times compared to on the prophet. I felt like more of my power was being transferred thru the pedals and not being lost in suspension bob that my prophet suffered from. In fact I didn't really notice any pedal bob from the shock in the xc 90mm mode.

Flats: on flat terrain I definitely felt that I was faster and could cover a greater distance in the Jekyll compared to the 2MX.

DH: Stable and good brakes for what I was riding on. The fork set up needs to be tinkered with to my preferences.... I have them below the recommended pressure for my weight and they still feel solid. Love the pop lock switch for changing between 90mm and 150mm. When doing jumps etc the back end travel felt very plush and limitless.

Rear Shock: I was setting the shock yesterday and it requires a lot of pressure to get working properly... not an issue to set up though. I found it easy. As just mentioned above I noticed no bobbing when sat pedaling and it performed well in the 150mm mode on DH stuff.

Issues so far: - I have noticed play in the rear shock area when lifting the bike by the seat tube. Has any other Jekyll owners noticed this?? I had the same issues with my prophet the whole time I had it!! I do not notice it while riding the bike though. Other than that the seat was quite noisy but i have always noticed that with new saddles.

Upgrades:- Yes the wheel set is shitty, but they are round and they do their job perfectly!! I would consider installing a dropper post as I noticed that I couldn't get my ass off the back on the bike as well as the prophet for going down really steep terrain. I think possibly the top tube is longer?

Anyway.......... for the $2,100 that I spent to buy the bike I think it was a real bargain!

I would recommend to anyone who didn't want to shell out the extra cash for the carbon models.....

By the way....... is the colors of my bike 2011?? I can't see the same colors on the Cannondale website???
    I had play. tighten up the lower rear shock bolt, sorted it for me.

what air pressure are people running their dyads at, seems quite stiff if you go by the chart.

Cheers

Chris