mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fatty Ultra DL - travel not perfectly smooth

Hi all. I'm having some trouble with my Fatty, I hope you guys will be able to help me at least pinpoint the problem.

A while ago I bought a C'dale frame along with the Fatty Ultra. I've been collecting other parts during the winter and it's ready to be assembled.

The lockout is working just fine and I haven't noticed any oil leaking around the boot. The boot isn't damaged. I haven't had a chance to take it for a ride yet, but when I pressed the fork through its full travel, I noticed that it doesn't travel perfectly smoothly - I don't know how to best describe it, but it's as if I can feel it kind of scratching inside. It seems to travel fine, but still. I don't have enough experience with suspension forks to tell what may be wrong, but I'm hoping for some insight on what may be wrong with it - and of course, if it's worth repairing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Fatty Ultra DL - travel not perfectly smooth

Anyone? :/

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Contact mendon Cycle. Best Lefty/headshock service out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    telescopic rebuild! dr mendon cyclesmith is without a doubt your best bet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had a similar 'issue' with an old Lefty DLR 2001, bought it second hand, lockout and rebound worked perfectly, no oil leaks or external signs of a problem... but it was rough as a bear's ass going through it travel... pulled the boot down and noticed small spots of rust on the inner races... so I went ahead and disassembled the fork myself (I have 'invested' in most of the Headshok tools as I own a few Lefty's and Headshok's.. I would highly recommend that you DO NOT tackle this job without them) turned out the races and bearings were badly rusted / pitted..

Replaced all the rusted parts myself.. fork is now smooth as butter and 4 years on its still working perfectly..

Easy fix in the end if you know what your doing.. but without the specific headshok tools, a micrometer for measuring the races and a lot of research your simply asking for trouble and may / will end up in a far worse situation...

For peace of mind I would just send it to Mendon.. let him do his magic and your fork will come back good as new..

FYI - the total cost of the tools alone will be more expensive than sending it to Mendon..