mtbr member

Fatty Ultra DL rebuild - parts still available?

I am in a new town and just tried to go riding the other day and found that the Fatty Ultra DL on my 2005 Canndonale F600 is leaking. I called up one of the LBS that deal Cannondales and the mech said it's possible they might not be able to rebuild it as parts are not readily available any more.

Is this accurate? I really don't want to buy a new fork. Are there any other options for getting it rebuilt?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harksaw
    I am in a new town and just tried to go riding the other day and found that the Fatty Ultra DL on my 2005 Canndonale F600 is leaking. I called up one of the LBS that deal Cannondales and the mech said it's possible they might not be able to rebuild it as parts are not readily available any more.

Is this accurate? I really don't want to buy a new fork. Are there any other options for getting it rebuilt?
    Seal kits are still readily available.....spare parts are a different story believe....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Seals, yes, races and bearings yes. 2005 was the changeover year, as long as the threads are metric, which they should be, you should be able to put a new damper cartridge in.

I just did one for a customer with a kludged up damper shaft, so yes, they are available.

Unless your LBS was already into it, who's to say it needs any parts beyond seals anyway? Most are easily fixed with a rebuild generally speaking.

Leaking is most often caused by three things, a loose cap on the damper, old, tired seals, or some hamfist trying to do the work cluelessly, or without the proper tools, and damaging the shaft in the process. And yes, LBS's do employ hamfists from time to time too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Seals, yes, races and bearings yes. 2005 was the changeover year, as long as the threads are metric, which they should be, you should be able to put a new damper cartridge in.

I just did one for a customer with a kludged up damper shaft, so yes, they are available.

Unless your LBS was already into it, who's to say it needs any parts beyond seals anyway? Most are easily fixed with a rebuild generally speaking.

Leaking is most often caused by three things, a loose cap on the damper, old, tired seals, or some hamfist trying to do the work cluelessly, or without the proper tools, and damaging the shaft in the process. And yes, LBS's do employ hamfists from time to time too.
    Ah ok. I might have mistakenly told the mech that it was a 2004.

Thanks everyone.