mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Fatty SL repair or trade in question

I picked up a used Fatty SL just to play around with taking a Headshok apart to see what was involved. It was cheap enough that if it was junk, I at least would learn something and not feel bad about the cost. The Headshok had no oil in it and didn't hold air. Also, the top plastic cap (I guess you'd call it the damping dial) is pretty far gone so would need to be replaced.

I pulled it apart today and this is what it looks like:

First, the bearing races have obviously seen some water. In fact, I was under the impression that the fork and bearings should just slide out of the headtube? Is that correct? These only slide so far and then I need to tap the fork with a deadblow hammer to get them to keep moving. I didn't keep banging on the fork because I wasn't sure if maybe I missed something in the disassembly. This is the first Headshok I have taken apart.

Next, the orange plastic coating on the spring is coming off. I am guessing that these pieces of plastic floating around in the oil will cause problems for the seals. Will they. or do the springs all seem to start flaking off the colored plastic after a while?

The white plastic endcap next to the spring is a little nicked up from someone attempting to take it off with an improper tool it looks like, plus it has some rust on it (from where I don't know). I guess it is just cosmetic, but obviously someone was working on it.

Having never been inside of a Headshok before, is the large bluish grey cylinder the air cylinder? I didn't take it apart yet to see what the seals look like, but since it doesn't hold air or oil, I am guessing they need to be replaced.

Lastly, the red arrow points to a metal ring that came off of something, but I have no idea what. Is it a part of a seal, or did it break off of something inside the shock body?

So, my real point in posting this is because I was going to rebuild this Headshok and use it on a 1997 F700. The shock looks like it needs some work, and maybe even some parts replaced that are no longer available. I could also do the trade-in deal where I take this Headshok to the LBS and have them send it back to C'dale and purchase a new DLR Headshok. The F700 is in excellent condition, so I wouldn't mind spending $400 on a new Headshok for it. You guys who have worked on the Headshoks, what would you suggest?

andy b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So what did you end up doing? I am in the same predicament and the LBS said it would probably be 150$-200$ "IF" and it was a big "IF" CDale would even rebuild.

mtbr member
    Warning doing the bearings is a nasty frustrating job, but with patience can be done, very time consuming thou and you neeed a few basic hand made tools before starting and grease.

The chances are the bearings races will be in poor condtion from the water damage, i did mine yesterday here are a few pics, this was my first attempt and i did as much reading and googleing about the work needed before i started, the hardest part is getting the outer bearing races to stay in the steering tube, for this i used a champaine cork and tape to hold the the bearing sleves in place before you slide over the inner tube, also take note of were the breather hole is as the outer tube will only fit one way, my breather hole face toward the rear of the bike. also the bearings need to go back into there same postion, so mark them up 1-4 and place in bags and right the numbers on the inner fork.

Fatty SL repair or trade in question-img_1052.jpgFatty SL repair or trade in question-img_1053.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Holy crap, I didn't even remember posting this!
    I ended up getting another cheap headshok to use on the bike, and it worked fine. LOL! This one is sitting in my parts box.
    Main Ride: 2015 Trek Superfly FS 9.7 SL
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 Uber V conversion

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'm glad to see someone still posting information on headshoks. I think I have 97 f1000 with a DD60 fatty. I would like to repair the headshok but can't seem to find the correct parts or know if special tools are required. My headshok does hold air for a day or two but it doesn't appear to dampen very good. Any directions would be great...

Just a flesh wound
    Send it to Mendon Cycle Smith. Craig has all the parts and tools. Very reasonable.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks Chris. I was going to try to do it myself (working in my garage is kind of my hobby) but if I can't find the parts I'll try Craig.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Chris I think your right in shipping the Headshok to Craig... this looks like a job for someone that knows what there doing... thanks.