LA CHÈVRE

Fatty SL filled with yellow goo?

Last saturday, me and a friend planned to do a nice ride, my first real mountain bike ride this year and the first with my new bike (Fisher Cake 1_DLX).

My friend called saying he puts his bike on his roof and comes to pick me up... 2 minutes later, he calls back: "I forgot, my bike is at some guy's place and I can't reach him" No problem, I'll let him use my old bike, a Cannondale F1000 with the Fatty SL (more about that later).

He finally arrives at my place, we put the Cannondale on his car and then... we figure out my new bike doesn't fit on the cheap bike rack! The Minute fork with XT disc doesn't fit at all. Happily, we were just the two of us so we put my bike in the car and we finally go.

We get there, we change my Cannondale's tires from slicks to knobbies and hit the trails. 2 minutes later, my friend complains the headshok is too stiff. No problem there, just get some air out. Air comes out as does some yellow gooey stuff. It looked like oil and grease, coming out from the valve... The fork is now empty, it stays bottomed out. Somebody up there seems to want us off the bikes!

We got back to the car and put some air back and everything seems to be ok but... what happened to the fork? We managed to do about 2 hours of riding and it seemed to behave normally. I'll take it to my LBS when I have time but anybody experienced this before?

Oh yeah, my new bike is sweet!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's just grease that's in the air cyclinder. grease helps the air seal . sometimes mine will slowly loses air and I'll grease the inside. if it's not losing air, I would not bother to take to LBS.

LA CHÈVRE
    I think you're right on target. It's not losing air at all. Last time I put some air in it was... almost 2 years ago! It is the first time I see grease coming out of a shock's valve tough. Thanks.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Are you talking to me?

Not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I think you're right on target. It's not losing air at all. Last time I put some air in it was... almost 2 years ago! It is the first time I see grease coming out of a shock's valve tough. Thanks.
    It is grease, and nothing to worry about.
    gfy