mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Fatty fork ('98 F900), lockout knob problem

I just bought a '98 F900

1998 Cannondale F900 - BikePedia

When I was examining it, I noticed the "Fatty D" fork was constantly in lockout, despite rotating the lockout knob. Then, I "popped" the front fork on the ground, whereupon it got out of lockout mode..went into suspension mode. However, rotating knob CCW to "lockout mode"..wouldn't put the fork in lockout!

What is going on? I'm leary of opening up the lockout knob to "mess with it". Did the age of the bike, lead to some grease getting "gummy", & causing the above? (known problem with old shifters, which is solved by shooting WD-40 in there to "melt the grease")

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    All the controlling bits for the lockout are internally internal, a cute way of saying, they are inside something, which is inside something else.

WD40 etc ain't touchin' nuttin'.

If it's new to you, and you don't know it's service record, that would be my first step. Get it torn down, cleaned, greased, new oil and seals, and if there's an issue with the lockout circuit, it'll come to light at that time.

Some shops do the servicing, Cannondale won't touch anything that old. There are other places that work on them too, if your local shop just blinks and tries to sell you a new fork or bike....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    All the controlling bits for the lockout are internally internal, a cute way of saying, they are inside something, which is inside something else.

WD40 etc ain't touchin' nuttin'.

If it's new to you, and you don't know it's service record, that would be my first step. Get it torn down, cleaned, greased, new oil and seals, and if there's an issue with the lockout circuit, it'll come to light at that time.

Some shops do the servicing, Cannondale won't touch anything that old. There are other places that work on them too, if your local shop just blinks and tries to sell you a new fork or bike....
    Fatty fork ('98 F900), lockout knob problem-f900.jpg

I rode it around some more..the front compression seems to be getting "softer". Lockout still won't engage.

What is doing the suspension, a coil spring? Oil is doing the damping? (non adjustable)

This cassette has a LOT of miles on it. Cog 6 in the back is "slipping", the idler wheels in Deore XT rear derailleur REALLY WORN, I had to put in cheaper substitute idler wheels. Frame seems really clean, almost new. Wheels in pretty good shape, side-walls not worn from braking.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Could be coil/elastomer, could be air.

Air would be a valve in the bottom of the crown, just above the tire.

Oil damped.

If the lockout isn't working, riding won't make it do so. At a minimum, servicing with fresh seals and oil, and possibly some parts need replacement too.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com