Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10

    F5 - Question about the top gear/ frame clearance

    I have had my bike for about two weeks... love it so far! After a hard day of climbing and playing around, I noticed that my top gear on the crank had torqued over and ground into my frame. Is this normal? Everything works just fine, but wanted to know if that was common?
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    39 views and no one has a response?
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  3. #3
    Can't stop the Prophet
    Reputation: brows141's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    240
    Is the bike new and if so is it under warranty?

    This doesn't sound normal put up some pics to help us out.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: karlmichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    253
    Is the front ring. Bent or is the bottom bracket loose? Post pics or just takw it back to the shop

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    The bike is brand new... I purchased it two weeks ago from a LBS.

    Im uploading some pics now... stand by.
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    Pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F5 - Question about the top gear/ frame clearance-img_1974.jpg  

    F5 - Question about the top gear/ frame clearance-img_1969.jpg  

    F5 - Question about the top gear/ frame clearance-img_1972.jpg  

    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  7. #7
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    921
    Not normal. Take it back.

  8. #8
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Is the chainring rubbing there? If so, it's not normal, have the shop fix that (could be a loose crankset, bad BB setup). But... it might also be a sign of chainsucks. Chainsucks is when, under certain circumstances, the bottom section of the chain is pulled up by the chainrings as you pedal, it can then get stuck between the rings and the frame and do such damage. This can be caused by numerous things like worn out or damaged chainrings (unlikely in your case), un-properly lubed or dirty chain or bad shifting technique.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  9. #9
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Is the chainring rubbing there? If so, it's not normal, have the shop fix that (could be a loose crankset, bad BB setup). But... it might also be a sign of chainsucks. Chainsucks is when, under certain circumstances, the bottom section of the chain is pulled up by the chainrings as you pedal, it can then get stuck between the rings and the frame and do such damage. This can be caused by numerous things like worn out or damaged chainrings (unlikely in your case), un-properly lubed or dirty chain or bad shifting technique.
    Chainsuck on the big ring? Pretty unlikely, especially with a new bike. For that matter, I don't think that I've EVER had chainsuck on my big ring--even with a trashed drivetrain. Maybe I don't ride fast enough though.

  10. #10
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    Chainsuck on the big ring? Pretty unlikely, especially with a new bike. For that matter, I don't think that I've EVER had chainsuck on my big ring--even with a trashed drivetrain. Maybe I don't ride fast enough though.
    Why are you assuming it happened while on the big ring? Even if it happens while in the small ring, the chain will hit the frame further back from that ring... and it mostly happens while shifting so the chain can be dropping from the big to a smaller ring or from a smaller to a bigger one.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    Im pretty certain that its just the ring making contact... no chainsuck as you say. IF I put in in lowest gears and mat the brakes, and torque the crank, the ring pushes closers to the chainstay... im sure when im powering up hills, its twisting the frame just enough to rub.... called cannondale, they said I may need to have the front rings spaced out? Im going to take to my LBS and have them check it out since its not common.
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  12. #12
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Why are you assuming it happened while on the big ring? Even if it happens while in the small ring, the chain will hit the frame further back from that ring... and it mostly happens while shifting so the chain can be dropping from the big to a smaller ring or from a smaller to a bigger one.
    True enough. Either way, he should take it to the shop so that they can figure it out.

  13. #13
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    True enough. Either way, he should take it to the shop so that they can figure it out.
    Right.

    I would check the BB spacers before spacing the rings themselves.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    what does BB stand for?
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
    what does BB stand for?
    Bottom Bracket. It's the bearing assembly and the axle of the crankset, located between each crankarms, through the frame. Depending of the frame's width in that area and the crankset model, sometimes spacers are needed between the BB cups and the frame to space the crankset correctly. Your shop should know but I think it's a good idea to add the info here even if you just ask the shop to fix it, you and others might learn little things here and there as we post, kind of the point of these forums.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    Purulento
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    58
    A missaligned frame could the problem, if the spacers are correct?

    Strange thing is that the ground marking is straight, not matching the circular pattern of the chainring

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Purulento
    A missaligned frame could the problem, if the spacers are correct?

    Strange thing is that the ground marking is straight, not matching the circular pattern of the chainring
    I know you aren't trying to insinuate that Im making this up...

    If are that observant, you failed to take into account that the chainstay itself isnt flat, instead its oval shaped, thus the transfer marking from the circular ring would show up abit different than that of a flat surface. Further more the diameter of the ring, compared to the length of the mark is would not show the curvature that well anyway...

    But, I digress, I will have to break out the canon digital and take a photo for the nay sayers...
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  18. #18
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-Stroke
    I know you aren't trying to insinuate that Im making this up...

    If are that observant, you failed to take into account that the chainstay itself isnt flat, instead its oval shaped, thus the transfer marking from the circular ring would show up abit different than that of a flat surface. Further more the diameter of the ring, compared to the length of the mark is would not show the curvature that well anyway...

    But, I digress, I will have to break out the canon digital and take a photo for the nay sayers...
    I don't think that anyone is trying to insinuate anything. Rather, people are just trying to figure out what's happening and why--because you asked us to. At this point, I think that you just need to take the bike to the shop already. There are a number of things that could be causing the mark, and it'll be easy for a mechanic to figure it out when looking directly at the bike. Please report back after they have a diagnosis and solution.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    I don't think that anyone is trying to insinuate anything. Rather, people are just trying to figure out what's happening and why--because you asked us to. At this point, I think that you just need to take the bike to the shop already. There are a number of things that could be causing the mark, and it'll be easy for a mechanic to figure it out when looking directly at the bike. Please report back after they have a diagnosis and solution.
    I agree. I will take it back next week when I have a break from school. I wasn't trying to come off as a$$.
    2010 Cannondale F5 - Jet Black

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25
    I have an F5 and I have this same problem, along with other F5 users here. I get chain suck when I change gears from middle to big ring, Tension could help, my LBS just adjusted the tension on my front deraillure so hopefully it'll help I'll let you know when I get it on a trail tomorrow. Others have said the crank set is to blame and changing that solves the issue. I say first take it in and have it evaluated first.
    `10 Cannondale F5. No upgrades yet.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    75
    I got an F5 as well... I have had MAJOR chain suck issues!. I fixed it all with a two step process.

    Step 1: Duck tape the heck out of the chain stay near the chainrings. I put plastic zip ties inside the duck tape to build an indestructable MacGuyvered wall.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

    This works and will let you ride, doesn't solve the problem.



    Step 2: Save up some cash and get your self some decent Chainrings. The truvativ base model aluminium chainrings are horrible. Any kind of mud/hill riding and you will be having the suck of death too.

    I upgraded to the base model Shimano XT crankset. Waiting for it to be shipped. 150 Euro from chain reaction or Jenson.

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=20679

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    chainsuck...i've got the same bike and my scar looks identical....upgraded to xt since
    Cannondale F5 (2010)
    All xt set up
    crossride rims/nevegals
    Easton hi-Risers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •