mtbr member
    Jan 2004

F4000sl 2004 questions pls help

Hi can someone please give me their opinion on the 2004 F4000sl. Do you think its worth the money.

What is the weight of it?
    How does it ride?

I want to purchase one this year but am wary about its performance vs

There are alot of other quality bikes out there that could match that are cheaper.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

Well if it was me...

I'd go the Scalpel 3000 route for just a little more money than the F4000. I'm sure it adds a bit of weight, but it also adds comfort and versatility. Sorry I can't comment on the ride of the 4000 as I've never had the opportunity to ride one, but I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find something better. Perhaps a custom ti bike with 1.5 headtube so you can put a carbon lefty elo on it!
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    To be honest I am not too much of a cannondale fan. Simply because of the fact that they have silly changing decals and dull paint schemes. The beauty of a Klein is that you can order your dream machine in numerous lovely paint jobs and their decals are just right.

The only cannondales that takes my fancy are the 2004 siemen mobile replicas. Scalpel and f4000sl. Simply because cannondale havnt painted them in silly colors or stuffed up the decals and they have good components.

The rest of the bikes look cheap with a high price tag. Cannondale should concentrate more on selling their bikes on looks and components.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

What a joke...

thanks for wasting my time. Don't forget your matching hat and purse.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry no offence JCW. But you have to admit copared to most Kleins of old Cannondale dont compare on looks. Only because Trek have now ruined Klein am I looking at another bike manufacturer. My honest opnion is that I dont like most of the cannondales schemes, apart from a few. You cant like every bike out of someones range. Thats why they have diversity.

Its a bit of hit and miss. Its hard to get a good looking bike with quality components these days without spending big $$$$. I think most manufacturers capitalise on this.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Sorry as well for my curt reply. It sounded to me like you had posted just to bag on C-dale. IMO C-dales and Kleins of old are very similar in frame quality (and price). The positive side of the Trek takeover of Klein is that the price has certainly come down, and it doesn't seem to me that the quality of the frames has dropped that much. Kleins certainly do have beautiful paint jobs, but the knock against them is that the paint chips easily. I know I experienced that with my old Klein. We all have different priorities, and for me the color/paint is about dead last on my list of what's important. Heck, I just got the 2004 Scalpel 2000 - have you seen that thing? What were they thinking? But I don't care how it looks, only how it rides. And have you seen the 2004 Scalpel 3000 in person? One damn good looking bike IMO. The pictures in the catalog and on the web don't do it justice. Anyway, the great thing about the F4000 is the carbon Lefty ELO. Any bike of comparable weight will likely have a wimpy SID or similar fork, while the lefty gives you 4" of super plush travel with far more stiffness than anything else in its class. It gives you the performance of a Manitou Sherman at the weight of a SID. Good luck in your search for a new bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

I think the problems with the easy chipping of the kleins paint is due to how they bake them and the amount of laquer they use. Mines ok at the moment.

Yeah I know cannondale and klein are compareable thats the good thing. Like you say though and I thought the same what the hell where they thinking when they painted the scalpel 2000 and most of the others. The f2000 has a terrible paint job too. If you pay your money you want a decent job.

Thats why the f4000sl and the team scalpel appeal to me as they are just plain. If cannondale made a plain scalpel 2000 I would go for one of them too.

Suppose I choose my bike like I choose my women

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Our shop received a memo from C-dale about a month ago in which they said that the Scalpel 2000 would also be offered in a Silver option. This is actually a silver paint, and not their ball burnished that they frequently offer ('04 Jekyll 2000). I have not yet seen any pictures of it, so I have no idea how it looks, but it might be worth checking into.

mtbr member
    Hahaha, good one...matching hat and purse

mtbr member

Color isnt important to me

Functionalithy outweighs pretty. Lets face it, if your riding the things covered in dirt and mud anyway. That is if you are riding. Give me a c'dale with alefty anyday. Unless its winter then its covered in ice and snow. Below Zero for last nights ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=KleinAttitudeThe beauty of a Klein is that you can order your dream machine in numerous lovely paint jobs and their decals are just right.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh, i know trek has spent the last few years ruining klein (as you won't let go, with ignorant statments over in the trek board) but project one is a trek thing