Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    305

    F4 frame&Headshok weight?

    Hi all,

    I am considering purchasing F4.

    Does anybody here has the info how much the frame with headshok weighs?

    Another point; only the frame, does it differ from F4 to F6 ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    96
    Don't quote me...but I believe it is around 27-28 lbs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    399
    2007 or 2008. My 2007 L frame was almost 5 lbs, including seat clamp, derailleur hangar, headset cups, headset bearings. The Super Fatty Ultra DL weights about 2.9 lbs. (As does the DLR, for that matter.)

    As the 2007 Furio-X was one stout-as-hell frame and the CO2 seems to be lighter, I'm guessing that the 2008 CO2 is significantly lighter. But how much ligher, I just don't know

    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo
    Hi all,

    I am considering purchasing F4.

    Does anybody here has the info how much the frame with headshok weighs?

    Another point; only the frame, does it differ from F4 to F6 ?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    826
    A Caffeine or Furio or CAAD5 frameset is so light that you would be shocked at how light it is. It's frickin' light. The headshok is light too.

    Remember that the older heavier versions of these frames were ridden to multiple World Cup, World Championship and Olympic medals. The F4 frameset with Headshok can be raced as is. You can stomp anyone with one.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    2007 or 2008. My 2007 L frame was almost 5 lbs, including seat clamp, derailleur hangar, headset cups, headset bearings. The Super Fatty Ultra DL weights about 2.9 lbs. (As does the DLR, for that matter.)

    As the 2007 Furio-X was one stout-as-hell frame and the CO2 seems to be lighter, I'm guessing that the 2008 CO2 is significantly lighter. But how much ligher, I just don't know
    Hm, 5 lbs for a HT frame isn't really what I would call light. I am not disputing the strenght of it, but frames in that price range come in sub 4 lbs figures.

    Fatty is compensating a bit, so all together it could pass.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Farevalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9
    Hiya,

    can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade from an Headhock to a lefty?
    My set up is a 2007 F4 ALL factory original specs.

    Gracias
    Freddy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    399
    Yes, you can. I had done the same.

    But do you need the extra travel? Unless you're going to an SL, you're gaining a pound. If you go to the carbon DLR2, you'll gain half a pound. And you'll need a new front weel.

    The 2007 F4 had a dog of a riser bar (Cannondale), crankset (Truvative square taper), cogset (SRAM 950), seatpost (Cannondale). Unless you need the travel, those are better places to spend your $.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farevalo
    Hiya,

    can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade from an Headhock to a lefty?
    My set up is a 2007 F4 ALL factory original specs.

    Gracias
    Freddy

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    305
    So, from ride handling point of view, you don t see much difference between lefty and headshok?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Farevalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9
    I really don't need the extra travel. I agree with your comments on the riser bar, crankset, SRAM950, seatpost. You are right on the money ponting out those weaknesses, ja ja.

    may I ask what upgrades/replacements you currently have on your F4?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    399
    Well, here is a photo of my F4. At this point, I only had the original front & rear derailleur and chain. I sold my Fatty DL for $300 on eBay and bought the Carbon DLR2 for $600. Sold my wheelset for $200 (including cassette and tires), got the Lefty 819's / 240s for about $250. Sold BB5's for $70 with levers, bought BB7's for $120 with levers. Picked up a SRAM 980 cassette. Crankset is a 2007 Stylo. At exactly 880 grams with bottom bracket, it saves 300 grams (2/3 of a pound) over the stock crankset/BB. Etc. All in all, I had a 24.5 lb bike. Actually, I had a bike that's considerably better than a Caffeine F1 for about the typical price of an F1, and of course, many hours on eBay and in the garage. (And of course, if you take the value of those hours, then it was a horrible deal.) But it's a hobby, right?

    Of course, since then, I landed a buddy's Optimo SL frame (from an F2000 SL), which forced me to upgrade the front derailleur (top pull), and an X.9 rear derailleur. So nothing left from the original F4. And now down to about 23.5 lbs

    The optimo SL frame is a lightweight. But since my weight dropped from 230 to 180 from riding like a maniac, I'm not afraid I'm going to damage it. But even at 180 lbs (and 5' 10"), the weight of the bike is irrelevant. Only now can I just feel the differnce when I get on a friend's Caffeine F3 (26 lbs + a few lbs of tools/spares). So I can't justify it from that perspective. But tooling around keeps me interested and it encourages my riding.

    Also, note the weight of the frame, Large Furio-X (2007 F4), seatclamp, headset cups & bearings, derailleur hanger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farevalo
    I really don't need the extra travel. I agree with your comments on the riser bar, crankset, SRAM950, seatpost. You are right on the money ponting out those weaknesses, ja ja.

    may I ask what upgrades/replacements you currently have on your F4?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Farevalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9
    WOW ! ! ! What an awesome set up you have. It shows you trully enjoy not only riding but tooling around.

    My F4 has lots of improvements to go!!! I have a small frame bike, the F4 i purchased is a brown stock bike. With your bike, I have plenty of inspiration material. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    81
    I have an 07 F4 also, Matte Brown XL frame. I love it, but I've gotten the itch to upgrade. Also wanting something to ride on the street, I'm thinking of getting a caffeine 29er with a Lefty, and throwing street tires on the F4. Not having any experience working on bikes and probably not having the right tools, does that seem like a better solution for someone like me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by ruer
    I have an 07 F4 also, Matte Brown XL frame. I love it, but I've gotten the itch to upgrade. Also wanting something to ride on the street, I'm thinking of getting a caffeine 29er with a Lefty, and throwing street tires on the F4. Not having any experience working on bikes and probably not having the right tools, does that seem like a better solution for someone like me?
    You guys should post up your sweet bikes in the "Caffeine and F Series Pic Thread" (Post your F and Caffeine series bike. It has been a great resource for me and i'm sure others when looking for pics of bikes, esp in colors the website doesn't show.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •