Thread: Experiment

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Smile Experiment

I purchased my Rush 600 Lefty Aug. 2006. Got 1800 miles on it as of yesterday. (had a screwed up summer--barely got to ride past June 24 until 2 weeks ago). I've read a ton of mainenance junk on the Lefty's and Connondales--but the guy I bought mine from has several (he operates a mb school) and he told me he never does anything to them--and the one I rode that weekend was very tight and convinced me to buy my Rush.

So, dudes and dudettes, I ain't doin jack shiat to mine until I have to. So far I have only had to replace the cranks due to an excursion into a boulder--and switched out the BB while I was at it cuz it was nearly toast, too. Other than a new chain every 1000 miles and a new rear tire--I ain't doin NOTHING to it. Not washing it. Not polishing it. Not getting any shock tune ups. Nothing.

Yesterday i got a big old stick stuck in the rear der.....thought it was doa,,,but once the stick came out, it shifted like usual.

My theory--people tend to do too much maintenance on their bikes. I prefer to just beat the living shiat out of it while RIDING it.

So, will keep everyone posted up on my little experiment.

How long can I go?????

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dunno. How muddy is it in Michigan?

I think if I tried that around here my bike would be twice the weight and have no moving parts after about 3 rides.

Like catnip for people
    Seems like a bit of a pointless experiment, yeah? What do you get out of it, at the end? ... An unmaintained, rusty, muddy, and squeaking worthless piece of bike!
    Woopee!

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by Elno Lewis
    I purchased my Rush 600 Lefty Aug. 2006. Got 1800 miles on it as of yesterday. (had a screwed up summer--barely got to ride past June 24 until 2 weeks ago). I've read a ton of mainenance junk on the Lefty's and Connondales--but the guy I bought mine from has several (he operates a mb school) and he told me he never does anything to them--and the one I rode that weekend was very tight and convinced me to buy my Rush.

So, dudes and dudettes, I ain't doin jack shiat to mine until I have to. So far I have only had to replace the cranks due to an excursion into a boulder--and switched out the BB while I was at it cuz it was nearly toast, too. Other than a new chain every 1000 miles and a new rear tire--I ain't doin NOTHING to it. Not washing it. Not polishing it. Not getting any shock tune ups. Nothing.

Yesterday i got a big old stick stuck in the rear der.....thought it was doa,,,but once the stick came out, it shifted like usual.

My theory--people tend to do too much maintenance on their bikes. I prefer to just beat the living shiat out of it while RIDING it.

So, will keep everyone posted up on my little experiment.

How long can I go?????
    Until your bearings have migrated so severely that the fork has about 2" of travel? At the shop we LOVE people like you!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    1800 miles is nothing for a Cannondale. Practically still brand new.

You might want to get a new chain soon, those tend to wear out around the 1500-2000 mile mark depending on what/where you ride. A $20 investment in a new chain will payoff in the long run.

Members who have read this thread: 0