Thread: Elixer cr noise

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Elixer cr noise

For our 25th anniversary, my wife bought me the RZ 140 Two. I love the bike, light, fast, plush, climbs like crazy! My only gripe is the Elixer cr brakes. The rear brake makes the same noise my old 64 VWs horn made when the 6 volt battery was running low on charge. You can actually feel the vibration through the whole bike! I love their power and modulation, but the noise is hard to take. Ive cleaned and adjusted. The noise started right away, and it has a couple of hundred miles on it now. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I have heard that some people have found adjusting and tighting the caliper bolts help and that sanding the edge of the rotors help

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Welcome to the world of Avid.

I have the same brakes and hate them. Yes, power. looks. lever feel. But the dam% noise. I clean them alot with brake cleaner, sand them, tighten them, replace the pads, and had them bled. The vibration noise ("turkey gobble") seems to be Avids proprietary technology. Wish I had my XTs back on my preferred ride instead of these POSs.

Good luck Chicken Leggs, but the turkey will get ya every time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have them on one of my bikes and they are fine, never done the gobble everyone speaks of. I've had avids on most of my bikes and never had that issue, well other than my caffeine 29er with a frame problem.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I get the same noise on my RZ140. I will eventually replace them with something else. One issue mine had was the calliper was hitting the outer edge of the disc and you could feel it through the bike. I added a washer under the calliper to raise them a little. I still get other noises though.

mtbr member
    dont you just loosen the bolts and squeeze the levers on the breakset and retighten the caliper bolts to make adjustment to get the rubbing of calipers to go away?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    dont you just loosen the bolts and squeeze the levers on the breakset and retighten the caliper bolts to make adjustment to get the rubbing of calipers to go away?
    I am talking about the outer top edge as if the calliper is sitting to far down the disc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, I was hoping for some good news! Has anyone tried a different disc? Mine does not hit the outer edge though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Avid's I owned were the same way at times. I messed with the a lot. Sometimes I got noise, and sometimes I didn't. I'm not too picky, but I could live without them. My Flash is coming with the Avid CRs also...JOY! Try to sell them on craigslist and get something else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Easy fix

One word , SHIMANO. there , you will love your ride again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This is how I fixed the problem for my Elixir CR.

Used Motul DOT 5.1 brake fuild.
    Replaced the fluid in the entire system.
    Bled the brakes, took my time, made sure no bubbles.
    Placed a business card between the pads and the disc, adjusted then tightened the bolts.
    Also used Avid organic pads.

No more noise, and love the brakes.

I just purchased a Flash 29er, and always bleed the brakes as part of my mechanical check list.
    There was a lot of air in the system, and the bike is brand new.
    I think Avid must have some horrible QC, all three bikes I bought in the past week have had air in the system.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just put in Avid Organic Pads and used a Shimano caliper mount adapter (different shape, but some critical measurements as the Avid) and that made them silent. 20 buck fix, not including shipping cost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys. I ordered some organic pads today. I think Im also going to try a smaller rear rotor, I seem to be dragging my rear tire allot, wearing out my new tire. Hopefully Ill get to try this out in Park City this weekend.