mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Eggbeater clearance.

How much space do you have in between your eggbeater and your sole?

Here's space of my eggbeater from my sole(none). It feels really tight to the fingers no float. Despite inserting a spacer in between the cleat and the sole. Just concerned over my knees.

Should I dremel it or leave it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Atomant; 07-12-2005 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yes, please do post it. How did you get it down? I might have a problem getting a dremel. But am pretty anal bout getting it nice n right. It'll be really cool without them spacers. These pedals are really low in profile...

LA CHÈVRE
    I can post a picture later if you need but I cut down the lugs around the cleat area on my shoes, otherwise I didn't have great entry and release, now it's perfect. That way it works perfectly and without the spacer, the cleat is not protruding too much for when I'm off the bike, my Specialized Pro Mountain shoes are great on the dance floor!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

LA CHÈVRE
    I just sliced down the lugs with an X-acto knife but your shoes have more of a big surface on each side compared to mine that have just some kind of knobs. I wouldn't be too worried about the job being clean or not, it's under the shoe and becomes dirty quite fast. I'll take a picture when I get home later.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomant

Here's space of my eggbeater from my sole(none). It feels really tight to the fingers no float. Despite inserting a spacer in between the cleat and the sole. Just concerned over my knees.

Looks tight to me, I'd cut the tread down a bit.

I run eggs and initially started with the spacer in, but have since taken it out. The big problem I have is that the pedals are putting deep grooves in my shoes. Entry and release is still excellent, but the grooves are concerning.

One note:
    Buy Quattro cleats when you wear your egg cleats out. My egg cleats only lasted about 3 months, but my quattro cleats feel like new after about 6 months. Recommended to me by CB Cust Service.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    One note:
    Buy Quattro cleats when you wear your egg cleats out. My egg cleats only lasted about 3 months, but my quattro cleats feel like new after about 6 months. Recommended to me by CB Cust Service.
    Do the Quattro cleats fit a mountain bike shoe's sole?

LA CHÈVRE

Here's my modified sole, clipped and unclipped. You may leave a little more plastic so the shoe actually touches the pedal but not so it gets compressed when clipped in (if it compresses too much, that's when the excellent release of the eggs turns into terrible release). It doesn't even touch on mine but my shoes are very stiff so it doesn't make a difference in support.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Looks tight to me, I'd cut the tread down a bit.

I run eggs and initially started with the spacer in, but have since taken it out. The big problem I have is that the pedals are putting deep grooves in my shoes. Entry and release is still excellent, but the grooves are concerning.

One note:
    Hi Jdub, why would the grooves be concerning? I noticed some faint groove on my soles too and I have only ridden on the eggbeaters for 1 ride. :P

Yeap, ever tried them quattro cleats but it seems to be really noisy when used with eggbeaters. Clicking sound, creaking sound? My girfriend would hear it when she's riding behind me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Here's my modified sole, clipped and unclipped. You may leave a little more plastic so the shoe actually touches the pedal but not so it gets compressed when clipped in (if it compresses too much, that's when the excellent release of the eggs turns into terrible release). It doesn't even touch on mine but my shoes are very stiff so it doesn't make a difference in support.
    Hi DanGerous, thanks for the pictures. I'm wearing a shimano sh-m 225 shoe and looking at the sole, there'll be alotta meat i'll have to remove :P Would this thing uncleat by itself if i were to leave it as it is?

LA CHÈVRE
    Hi DanGerous, thanks for the pictures. I'm wearing a shimano sh-m 225 shoe and looking at the sole, there'll be alotta meat i'll have to remove :P Would this thing uncleat by itself if i were to leave it as it is?
    It doesn't look that bad on your picture but I think it would actually be harder to uncleat if the sole is too compressed as it makes the pivoting movement harder and kills the float of the system. In fact, I think it should be fine if you keep the spacer under the cleat. If you take it off, I would take off some of the rubber around the cleat area for sure tough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It doesn't look that bad on your picture but I think it would actually be harder to uncleat if the sole is too compressed as it makes the pivoting movement harder and kills the float of the system. In fact, I think it should be fine if you keep the spacer under the cleat. If you take it off, I would take off some of the rubber around the cleat area for sure tough.
    actually, I am thinking low profile. so maybe i would remove the spacers, bring it down to a cobbler to have it grind down to where it's perfect? You don't seem to use the spacers on yours and i would like to utilise the full advantage of the eggs.

LA CHÈVRE
    Right, I'm not using the spacer. You could do as I did, just take off slices of rubber with a knife until it's perfect. Take some off, a bit wider than the pedals width and be careful not to cut yourself.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Hi Jdub, why would the grooves be concerning? I noticed some faint groove on my soles too and I have only ridden on the eggbeaters for 1 ride. :P

Yeap, ever tried them quattro cleats but it seems to be really noisy when used with eggbeaters. Clicking sound, creaking sound? My girfriend would hear it when she's riding behind me.
    Why would the grooves concern me? Because they start to develop slop or play in the shoe/pedal interface that can't be undone. Also in theory at some point they could become deep enough to weaken the sole and have it crack, but that would probably be an extreme.

My quattro cleats are totally silent, never made a noise. Never had noises with normal egg cleats either though.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Do the Quattro cleats fit a mountain bike shoe's sole?
    Yes. They are actually very similar (if not exactly the same) as the egg cleats, just made out of a harder material.