mtbr member

EDIT: Thought I had a problem with my new F29 frame

I picked up my new Flash 29er Carbon 3 today. It looks great. I got home and went to wipe a smudge of the top bar, only to realize its not a smudge. it is something under the clear coat. It looks to be between the carbon and the clear coat. Depending on the angle you dont even notice it.

I guess i have to return it and get a new frame...? Anyone have any idea what this is? It took me several pictures to even capture it.

ED. Thought I a problem with my new F29 frame-img-20130612-003212_zps34b89fbf.jpg
    Last edited by xycarp; 07-01-2013 at 11:28 AM.

hispanic mechanic
    Tough to say with just a picture, but I'd guess just an imperfection in the top cosmetic layer.
    Essentially a finish blemish. Perhaps your dealer can ask Cannondale to do a little something for you. otherwise you'll probably have to take it back for a warranty claim.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Seen this sort of thing before, just warranty it. Cannondale will give you a new one
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    When you saw it before, what was it? Was was it described as?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It looks like the uni direction carbon from the picture....that is normal

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

New F29 frame problem

That's an area of clear coated bare carbon. The Ballistec carbon has natural irregularities within it that you'll see at different angles of light. It's not meant to be homogeneous throughout. Many of my bare carbon frames have this appearance in various regions. I wouldn't assume its a warranty issue unless its definitively determined to actually be a clear coat defect. Although it looks normal to me.

mtbr member
    "natural irregularities" is what i got back from the dealer. He kept the picture just in case i run into issues down the road.

thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    "natural irregularities" is what i got back from the dealer. He kept the picture just in case i run into issues down the road.

thanks all.
    Yeah, there was a dude on the forums that had it done, can't find the link though. Natural irregularities.... yes, but straight on the top tube would annoy me. I would be sending it back for replacement. As far as I understand it, you're well within your rights to do that. If it doesn't bother you though, keep it. It should compromise the structural integrity of the frame.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

Toro
    I've got that on my top tube and other areas of exposed carbon. If my frame had any weakness anywhere I would have found them already. Ride the hell out of it. If you're doing it right (or wrong depending on your perspective), your bike should have scratches, chipped clear coat, etc very soon. Keep some clear nail polish ;-)
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

Happy Trails

New F29 frame problem

Is that maybe where the brake lever would impact the top tube if the front wheel was allowed to spin all around to the right in a soft crash? Of course I'm not implying anything, but take a look at that. Before riding on my F-29 I raised the bars with a new stem because I needed the extra bar height geometry, but also so the handlebar, brake and shifter would clear the top tube. You can check this pretty easy. If it impacts I'd recommend a small piece of foam attached by zip tie or raising the bar with a stem or riser bar. In any event , carbon is tough stuff. I would not worry about a cosmetic scuff on the surface.

mtbr member
    I got some more information and It's ok... honest... Let me clarify...

Many carbon frame are made of two part carbon, with an outside cosmetic layer to make it uniform. That is not the case with this frame.

The black part of the frame is exposed carbon, while the colored bits are painted. If i look closely at the rest of the top tube, I can see gains and faint lines. The one section of the top bar in the picture shows a more noticeable "grain" than others on the top bar so it is just that... more noticeable. It took me several trys to make it visible in the picture. The shop showed me other areas on the black (on other tubes) that were similar. The nature of the type of carbon used is such that it appears that way.

On the bottom tube and other areas that are black (un-painted) there are similar "grains".

After looking at the bike in other areas, i see exactly what is described, understand the explanation and agree with it. It is infact "normal".

Thanks for helping calm a panicky new carbon bike owner...

Happy Trails

New F29 frame problem

(Error deleted)

Happy Trails

New F29 frame problem

(Error deleted)