mtbr member
    Sep 2006

ebay headshok dillemma- super cheap p-bone or the new fatty sl?

hey hey, im new here and new to mountain biking and cannondales. i got a 2002 caad3 f3000 from a friend through trade. he broke his fork, so the bike wasnt rideable. now i need the bike and have to replace the fork. the fatty sl is the fork that came with it, but im looking at a price difference of at least $200. i want to use the bike for around town, but also to explore mountain biking, which im sure i'll really get into, given time. also, im poor. any thoughts?

mtbr member
    the cheapest way is reducers from 1.5 to 1 1/8ths. a ridged fork would be super super cheap. next would be a shock. but for maybe the same price would be an older fatty or so on ebay. not sure what the difference is between p-bone and fatty.

mtbr member
    You'd be waisting your time putting a ridgid fork on the bike .
    Sure it would be the cheapest but you will not enjoy the ride even at the slowest speeds.

As a stickler for terminology , a shock controls the suspension in the rear and a (suspension) fork controls the front .
    We don't want to confuse the newbies

Just my .02 worth .....
    Don't me .

mtbr member
    agreed, but he would be rolling and its the cheapest route. but i disagree for slow speeds...

and whatever about a shock/sus... we should probably tell rock shox then, or do they get away with it because of the X?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Okay kids, time for bed= He was asking for advice, not a nomenclature pissing match. My question is, he "broke" the fork? As in, snapped it in two? Or it's still there, but is not working. Big difference here. A crappy bike shop proclaimed dead Fatty, is not that at all, just a fork that they would rather not deal with. If you still have it, most likely it can be serviced, and made to work great, for less than $100. If you truely need a new fork, yes, a ridgid fork will be the cheapest fork, but remember, you need a new set of adapters, headset, stem, and fork, to make that work. Add a suspension fork (Rock Shox, Manitou, Marzocchi etc) and it get's pricey fast. Versus, fixing what you have, or picking up a cheap one on ebay, and plugging it in. Suspension in front is very nice, but none will do to get you out on the trail. If you need more info on making a headshock functional again, send me a note @ craig@mendoncyclesmith.com.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would try and get your existing shock rebuilt if at all possible (assuming it's not "fork body in many little jagged pieces" broken) It'll most likely end up the cheapest, and the colour is sure to match the frame

Failing that, I would steer away from a P-Bone. I don't believe they ever made them with disc brake mounts, which if you want to start looking at going MTBing, are an upgrade you'll likely want to take up. Plus the shock internals aren't as good as a 'proper' Fatty (elastomer vs. hydraulic)

mtbr member
    i agree with fixing what you have... that way you can keep it original... post some pix.