Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

dyad got no flow

3K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  the mayor 
#1 ·
I am just rebuilding a second-hand mk2 Jekyll (got past replacing all the bearings, pivot axles worn but just usable and a wonky back end which probably explains the above) and have an issue with the DYAD shock that I'm after some advice on; it appears to be stuck in elevate mode and I have no idea even if that is possible!

With the cable installed and the lever in the flow mode the cable is slack and doesn't return by itself when the button is pressed (the cables are fine), pushing the lever forward into elevate pulls the cable as you would expect. With the cable removed from the shock the shock spool chamber part with the cable anchor is loose/moves freely and I was under the impression this should return to full extension (spring or air?) by itself so for example if the cable broke or stretched the shock would always default to flow mode. So basically regardless of what cable and lever are doing I think the shock is in elevate mode based on adjusting the rebound for each chamber; only the elevate rebound adjustment has an effect when cycling the suspension. Riding the bike it is definitely feels like elevate mode; upright and short travel. Additionally airing up the shock as per the instructions results in barely any movement until I drop the pressures a lot. Things that I have tried are emptying/filling the shock of air several times following the instructions (with the pump screwed right on), trying with/without cables as mentioned so I'm wondering what is next to look at so any ideas or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've tried to read your post a couple of time...but it hurts to read it.

First thing you want to do is set the pressure per the manual...release the air for the neg chamber, fill the pos chamber and then fill the neg chamber.

This may...or may not...release the adjust piston ( make sure you don't have any tension on the cable when you do this)

#3 ·
sorry it was a bit of a beer-fueled brain dump!

I have released the tension and emptied the negative air, then the positive, then filled the positive and finally the negative. Through the whole of this the adjust piston does not release. Is it driven off the main air chambers?

#5 ·
I can lift the tower up and down with my fingers with no effort about 10mm (from 10mm exposed to 18 or 19mm exposed when lifted).

Product Liquid Line Aqua Font

Looking at this diagram is it a mechanical mechanism that raised returns the shock into flow mode? I'm wondering if the adjust piston is stuck inside the shock, any options other than to get it serviced by a Fox dealer and the resulting cost?

The manuals all state "NEVER ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE SPOOL CHAMBER END CAPS FOR ANY REASON! UPWARDS TO 450 PSI (31 BAR) CAN PROPEL AN END CAP WITH EXTREME FORCE AND VELOCITY, POTENTIALLY RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH." so I'm not going to be trying that in a hurry!

#9 ·
The shock is back from a FOX/Mojo service and is fixed. All I could get out of them was "it appears that your shock was cavitated. This happen when air pressure mixes with the oil. This is usually because of a failed seal.". As I don't know how the mode change thingy works I take it that this is what was up with it and hopefully all will be good now for a while. Happily after a few rides it is sweet, I'm still tinkering with the air pressures but it just keeps improving :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.