mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Durable Headshok Boot?

The Headshok is such a nice piece of engineering, too bad it is cheese-a-fied by the easy to rip rubber boot and zipties.
    Its seems that by now a better solution, like a kevlar impregnated or some other sturdy, flexable material boot and reusable clamps, would have been made. There are all kinds of materials out there that I'm sure would work better.
    I would try to do it but haven't the slightest idea how.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr
    The Headshok is such a nice piece of engineering, too bad it is cheese-a-fied by the easy to rip rubber boot and zipties.
    Its seems that by now a better solution, like a kevlar impregnated or some other sturdy, flexable material boot and reusable clamps, would have been made. There are all kinds of materials out there that I'm sure would work better.
    I would try to do it but haven't the slightest idea how.
    Well, do some research and you'll find that the latest Headshok's and lefty's do have "re-usable clamps".
    I think if a regular rubber boot is sufficient enough for high tech military equipment and such it should be durable enough for "normal" trail use/conditions any day....
    Do you have issue with your ripping or tearing constantly?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've ripped two, probably via thorny vines. Do you think a dealer might have some clamps? I'll check on it when I pickup a new boot. Thanks for the info about the clamps.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you buy a boot that was made in the last year or so, they come with the clamps. Older ones came with the zip ties.

Me? Never too much of an issue with tearing. You must have some mean a$$ed bushes where you live!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    I've ripped two, probably via thorny vines. Do you think a dealer might have some clamps? I'll check on it when I pickup a new boot. Thanks for the info about the clamps.
    What Mendon said....If you buy a new style boot it should come with the clamps.....Unfortunately there is no cure from keeping the thorns ripping the boot...
    If you keep tearing the boot because you're running into thorny bushes I can't even imagine what your limps might look like....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mnt bike laws of physics
    The thorns in southern NM are hell on the boots. I used sealant on the holes they produced until it got too bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Its the damn greenbriar vines. On trails that are not often used they tend to take over. When I go on exploratory rides is when the boot tends to get the holes. I had somebody recommend wrapping a neoprene beer cozy around the boot for protection, haven't tried that yet.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I had somebody recommend wrapping a neoprene beer cozy around the boot for protection, haven't tried that yet.
    It's all about the creative solution that solves your individual problem. I like that one, just make sure to check the boot from time to time, since it might bind up due to being constrained in a way it hadn't be before.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com