mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Don't you just love it.

I love mountain biking, seriously, i don't get out as much as i'd like, due to work commitments, and the local tracks for me leave a lot to be desired, but still...

Love it for the feeling you get when you get up (or down) a particulary difficult section of a hill for the first time.

Love it for the "I'll just get round the next corner before i collapse of exhaustion" feeling

Love it for the sheer stubborness and pride you exhibit in forcing yourself to not get off and push the bike.

Love it for the adrenaline and exercise.

Love not being one of the "i'll drive to the local shop,even though its only a 100 yards away" crowd, I'll walk it,or better yet ride it.

Love just seeing my bike in the house, makes me smile every time.

Ive got all respect for anyone who rides, seriously, be it road, xc, freeride, downhill etc, be it a £100 rigid or a £5000 Scalpel, doesn't matter, its the person who chooses to do it, not the bike.

Love the feeling of solidarity with MTB'ers, on my local ride, you just meet people, theres a bridge across a stream which seems to be a rest point, and we just meet up, share stories ("seriously, the jump was this big...") and have a laugh, and im sure its the same elsewhere. And how many times have you fixed a complete stranger's puncture? great isn't it.

Tell you what i dont like though: Brand snobbery.

two SC bullit (i think they were bullits) riders bombed past me, and later (yep, at that bridge) told me my F800 was crap, but opinions are just that: Opinions, and by definition whether its 'right' or not is subjective. When asked if they'd ever ridden a lefty specific, of course they said no. And my bike is built for a slightly different 'type' of ride to theirs. Funny thing was though, just to reciprocate, i saw them later on a bumpy, twisty singletrack, and bombed past them, funny that aint it.

But at the end of the day, we're all doing it, be we C'dale, Specialized, Marin, Raleigh etc riders, be we urban, road,xc etc riders, the same basis is there: you're on a pushbike, enjoying the hell out of yourself.

As that greek goddess once said "just do it".

I ride therefore I am.

Good job! Amen Brother....

It doesn't matter what you ride it's how you ride it!
    "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
    Groucho Marx.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dazzlerdee
    I love mountain biking, seriously, i don't get out as much as i'd like, due to work commitments, and the local tracks for me leave a lot to be desired, but still...

Love it for the feeling you get when you get up (or down) a particulary difficult section of a hill for the first time.

Love it for the "I'll just get round the next corner before i collapse of exhaustion" feeling

Love it for the sheer stubborness and pride you exhibit in forcing yourself to not get off and push the bike.

Love it for the adrenaline and exercise.

Love not being one of the "i'll drive to the local shop,even though its only a 100 yards away" crowd, I'll walk it,or better yet ride it.

Love just seeing my bike in the house, makes me smile every time.

Ive got all respect for anyone who rides, seriously, be it road, xc, freeride, downhill etc, be it a £100 rigid or a £5000 Scalpel, doesn't matter, its the person who chooses to do it, not the bike.

Love the feeling of solidarity with MTB'ers, on my local ride, you just meet people, theres a bridge across a stream which seems to be a rest point, and we just meet up, share stories ("seriously, the jump was this big...") and have a laugh, and im sure its the same elsewhere. And how many times have you fixed a complete stranger's puncture? great isn't it.

Tell you what i dont like though: Brand snobbery.

two SC bullit (i think they were bullits) riders bombed past me, and later (yep, at that bridge) told me my F800 was crap, but opinions are just that: Opinions, and by definition whether its 'right' or not is subjective. When asked if they'd ever ridden a lefty specific, of course they said no. And my bike is built for a slightly different 'type' of ride to theirs. Funny thing was though, just to reciprocate, i saw them later on a bumpy, twisty singletrack, and bombed past them, funny that aint it.

But at the end of the day, we're all doing it, be we C'dale, Specialized, Marin, Raleigh etc riders, be we urban, road,xc etc riders, the same basis is there: you're on a pushbike, enjoying the hell out of yourself.

As that greek goddess once said "just do it".

exactly