mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Done with the Lefty, installing a Fox 2017, how do they compare?

Too many failures, I was a fan of the Lefty, Habe a Jeckyll carbon 1 and a Trigger carbon 1, both failed 6 months ago, got the upgrade for free, and the Trigger fall apart and failed, oil,seals and the retainer came down the fork a month ago (been waiting to get it back but Cannondale says they are backed up).

Now the Jeckyll is leaking so much oil the front brake is all oily and not working so well.

Just ordered a Fox 36 160mm from Push, how does it compare to the Lefty?
    I really liked the Lefty but waiting a month for a repair that is not even going to be covered under warranty is too much, and soo many failures one after another .

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your lefty not lasting. As far as stiffness and performance I think you will be down grading but reliability is important also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is exactly what Im afraid of, downgrading in performance, also adding weight.
    This is why I ordered a Fox 36 from Push (best possible fork) so Im not dissapointed.

I will see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would think you're upgrading since the fox isn't going to fail you like the lefty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If only Cannondale had options available for getting fork work done. You know, other places that could be there, doing them too, lightening the load, so they weren't so backed up.

Funny how being greedy can bite you in the backside.

I don't blame you in the slightest. Sad that the once proud company has fallen so hard for the siren song of profits before product durability.

I'd have gone Rock Shox over Fox, but that's just preferences speaking.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If only Cannondale had options available for getting fork work done. You know, other places that could be there, doing them too, lightening the load, so they weren't so backed up.

Funny how being greedy can bite you in the backside.

I don't blame you in the slightest. Sad that the once proud company has fallen so hard for the siren song of profits before product durability.

I'd have gone Rock Shox over Fox, but that's just preferences speaking.

I hear you. Similarly my first choice would have been Rock Shox. Cannondale in this decade is not the same Cannondale of the previous three decades. that Cannondale I loved. This new one I'm a bit skeptical of because of reliability isues with products that should be quite sorted.
    A 2017 SID WOrld Cup or RLC would have been my choice for the Scalpel. It would have dropped the weight by nearly a pound too..

mtbr member
    Funny Cannondale switched their Trigger line to a conventional Fox fork and shock... says a lot right!

So far I have not had reliability issues, but the proprietary stuff does get complicated sometimes. May switch to a comventional fork later... let's see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve View Post
    Too many failures, I was a fan of the Lefty, Habe a Jeckyll carbon 1 and a Trigger carbon 1, both failed 6 months ago, got the upgrade for free, and the Trigger fall apart and failed, oil,seals and the retainer came down the fork a month ago (been waiting to get it back but Cannondale says they are backed up).

Now the Jeckyll is leaking so much oil the front brake is all oily and not working so well.

Just ordered a Fox 36 160mm from Push, how does it compare to the Lefty?
    I really liked the Lefty but waiting a month for a repair that is not even going to be covered under warranty is too much, and soo many failures one after another .
    Its not a downgrade, you'll be in good hands with Push and the feel will probably be better.

mtbr member
    I prefer the 36's to the 160 lefty, it just feels a better fork in more situations to me..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Those are good new

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I still love the 100 and 120mm travel Lefry's. They are generally bulletproof. But personally for a long travel fork, put a Pike on it .
    Even the 2018 Lyrik is now much improved.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Just a flesh wound
    My friend finally gave up on his Scalpel and went with a Fuel to get away from Cannondale. His Lefty was a nightmare and C'Dale did not respond in a timely manner, nor did anything they did fix the reliability issue.

Sad, especially as I have the older, booted Lefty Max 140 and it has always been solid.

BRING BACK THE BOOT YOU BUNCH OF FOOLS!!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Why, when they can make so much money repairing them all the time and blaming the customer for not being timely with maintenance and upkeep?

Made better by locking out any and all dealers and service centers from doing the work, so they are the sole source for service?

Brilliantly played if you ask me. Same way Walmart runs all other businesses out of town.

Oh wait, they sell Pacific, huh. Wonder where they got the idea from.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm quite happy that fox and rock shox have upped their game with respect to forks, torsional stiffness specifically. Although nothing is as stiff as a Lefty in this regard the better suspension feel and tuning options outstrips the performance gains of the Lefty chassis.
    And with only the distributor able to service the fork and the marketing driven to capture a very different client Base than what cannondale built its brand on, burning their hands is definitely where they're headed.
    Post 2010 cannondale is a very different company to what was before. And clearly not as innovative anylonger.

Said marketed to client base being people with more $ than brains?

Seems so. Those folks are willing to spend endlessly, rather than demand products that function well and with only a modicum of expense for service and upkeep, over the long haul...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Just a flesh wound
    The maintenance schedule would have me bringing the bike to the shop every 6 or 8 weeks. That's crazy.

Precisely.

Hey, news flash, if profits are down, engineer them in!

The CEO of Dorel needs to fuel that corporate jet somehow if they want to get to their vacation home(s) on time for surf and turf....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Said marketed to client base being people with more $ than brains?

Seems so. Those folks are willing to spend endlessly, rather than demand products that function well and with only a modicum of expense for service and upkeep, over the long haul...
    Bingo

Just a flesh wound
    They better hurry up and convert their stock to cash before it crashes.

Craig, like you I have a business. The only way it works is when the customers are as happy as I am. I am happy when we are making money and the customer is happy. Simple formula but it is the truth.

Dorel will kill the brand eventually. Sad. I love my Prophet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Done 2 rides already with the Pushed Fox fork.
    Mixed feelings
    Not as plush as the Lefty so far, still dialing in some settings, had to ran lower air pressures because if not it feels harsh,mid stroke is better than the Lefty though also is shorter, so Im raising it to 170mm.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The Lefty is tunable. You could have added more tokens to the airspring to give you more support.
    Also I have found in rhe past that the Lefty is tuned for the size of bike it's fitted too to cater for a rider weight range. If you too heavy for the intended weight range then the damper can be retuned to suit your weight. Cannondale typically have the data so a email or call to their support often delivers a satisfactory answer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Im not changing the Lefty because I didnt liked it, to me it is superior to the other forks, but way too unreliable.
    Which makes it even more frustrating, awesome when it works, but fails too much.

The Lefty on my Trigger failed for the third time, and the dealer had to send it to Cannondale, its been a month, and still I dont have it back.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    May I ask what was failing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lost all the travel the first failure, sent to dealer he did the washer upgrade, 6 months later again same problem , got the spring upgrade, third failure clunk feeling, seal, spring and everything came from under the fork.
    That is the trigger which I had for 2 years.

Jeckyll (less than a year old)
    Lost all travel, got spring upgrade, 6 months later loosing oils lots of it splashing the front rotor.
    Im done.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    wait... 6 months? How often do you ride? Generally the Lefty needs servicing every 120 hrs for xc type use and 50hrs for extreme use

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    First failure happened after a month, brand new bike, same for the Trigger and Jeckyll,3 rides per week, about 5 hrs per week, should not fall to pieces after 6 months either.

Just a flesh wound
    The older Lefty models with the boot were and are tough. The new, inverted Lefty design might be a good idea, but they seem to be fragile in the real world. Plus the fact that you can't do anything but send it out for service to Cannondale is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Agreed, been riding Cannondales for the past 20 years, used to buy them because of the Lefty.
    No reason to keep buying them now, this 2 bikes might be my last Cannondales.

It's okay, you aren't buying Cannondales anymore, just a frame sticker and a memory.

Same as you aren't buying a Motobecane, a Bottechia, a Schwinn, a Mongoose, Bontrager, Klein, Lemond, or any other venerable old name from cyclings earlier days.

It's stylish now, and far easier than actually creating your own ideas. Buy a struggling brand, crush anything it stood for into dust, and use it's name to print money for a few years till you get caught up in your own greedy money grubbing BS.

Killing the booted Lefty because a few riders whined about it looking dated is an insult to the legacy of non disposable mindset engineering that the former brand worked so hard to continue for so long. Turning it into a maintenance intensive PITA for consumers, whilst also being a service profit generating juggernaut for the brand won't last long. Consumers aren't that stupid.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's okay, you aren't buying Cannondales anymore, just a frame sticker and a memory.

Same as you aren't buying a Motobecane, a Bottechia, a Schwinn, a Mongoose, Bontrager, Klein, Lemond, or any other venerable old name from cyclings earlier days.

It's stylish now, and far easier than actually creating your own ideas. Buy a struggling brand, crush anything it stood for into dust, and use it's name to print money for a few years till you get caught up in your own greedy money grubbing BS.

Killing the booted Lefty because a few riders whined about it looking dated is an insult to the legacy of non disposable mindset engineering that the former brand worked so hard to continue for so long. Turning it into a maintenance intensive PITA for consumers, whilst also being a service profit generating juggernaut for the brand won't last long. Consumers aren't that stupid.

Amen.

When is a Scalpel not a Scalpel? When they made the seat stays flex and not the chain stays.
    When they started building them in China and moved jobs from Bethel to who knows where.
    Agree on the absurd decision to drop the boot in the name of "progress" the original design was pure genius and simple to maintain if you could be bothered to lift the boot once in a while and apply some viscous oil to the sliders.
    Bearing reset was simple too.
    Also those Lefty's weighed just under 1300gr, not they're 1700gr and called light weight
    the Left Max structure all the newer Lefty's are based on is an engineering disaster. Everything in the name of profit and big wheels.

I feel your pain Mendon.
    I still service the older units and do some retuning for people but I refuse to work on the new designs. too many cheap parts in there

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In. Da. Feelz.

Just a flesh wound
    My buddy who recently gave up on his Scalpel and the Lefty, is a Cat 1 racer and well known in these parts. When someone like him switches, people notice.

Saab used to be a good car company before GM took over, now they are gone...Just saying.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Saab a good car company? Ha!

Just a flesh wound
    I had a 1988 900 T hatchback that was great. Put 200k on it. Got a 2003 9-3T 6 speed and it was a great car. Put 250k on it. Gave up when parts became too tough to find. I still have a 2005 9-5T wagon 5 speed. World's fastest truck. 198k so far and running strong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My toyota has 240,000 on it. I haven't needed to find parts for it cuz nothing breaks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In all likelihood this is my last Cannondale. I had a soft spot for it but there are way too many issues.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What issues are you having?
    Reason I'm asking is I went off cannondale post liquidation and acquisition by Dorel. I didn't like the first 29er scalpel and was hoping the new bike sorted the crap out

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    What issues are you having?
    The bikes, or at least the 2.0s and Supermax leftys, seem in some cases to be buggy enough to spend more time in the shop than on the trail.

Add a general lack of servicing options and it turns in to a bit of a world of hurt for the rider, especially given the cost of these bikes.

I can kinda relate because my first 2.0 was a shit show. It was rebuilt / replaced which took months - and it's been sweet since however. Not sure what to think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tried the Fox, ordered the 160mm Fox 36 Pushed, it felt short , lowered the bike a lot, pedal strikes everywhere,was plush but not as much as the Lefty.

Sent back to Push to make it 170mm and re tune the fork to be more plush in small bumps.

Now bike has same height as with the Lefty, very plush, like butter, amazing ,and bigger bumps ,no dive , much better than any Lefty, Pike or anything I tried before.
    Amazing performance, more fun and less tiring at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We are riding Duthie tonight if you want to stop by and see the new Jekyll. I'll have it with me.

I'd like to see what your bike is like now too, with the new fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cant make it today, next Wednesday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We will be riding next Wednesday, location is still up in the air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks , sounds good for next Wed.