mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Done with the Lefty, installing a Fox 2017, how do they compare?

Too many failures, I was a fan of the Lefty, Habe a Jeckyll carbon 1 and a Trigger carbon 1, both failed 6 months ago, got the upgrade for free, and the Trigger fall apart and failed, oil,seals and the retainer came down the fork a month ago (been waiting to get it back but Cannondale says they are backed up).

Now the Jeckyll is leaking so much oil the front brake is all oily and not working so well.

Just ordered a Fox 36 160mm from Push, how does it compare to the Lefty?
    I really liked the Lefty but waiting a month for a repair that is not even going to be covered under warranty is too much, and soo many failures one after another .

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your lefty not lasting. As far as stiffness and performance I think you will be down grading but reliability is important also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is exactly what Im afraid of, downgrading in performance, also adding weight.
    This is why I ordered a Fox 36 from Push (best possible fork) so Im not dissapointed.

I will see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I would think you're upgrading since the fox isn't going to fail you like the lefty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If only Cannondale had options available for getting fork work done. You know, other places that could be there, doing them too, lightening the load, so they weren't so backed up.

Funny how being greedy can bite you in the backside.

I don't blame you in the slightest. Sad that the once proud company has fallen so hard for the siren song of profits before product durability.

I'd have gone Rock Shox over Fox, but that's just preferences speaking.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If only Cannondale had options available for getting fork work done. You know, other places that could be there, doing them too, lightening the load, so they weren't so backed up.

Funny how being greedy can bite you in the backside.

I don't blame you in the slightest. Sad that the once proud company has fallen so hard for the siren song of profits before product durability.

I'd have gone Rock Shox over Fox, but that's just preferences speaking.

I hear you. Similarly my first choice would have been Rock Shox. Cannondale in this decade is not the same Cannondale of the previous three decades. that Cannondale I loved. This new one I'm a bit skeptical of because of reliability isues with products that should be quite sorted.
    A 2017 SID WOrld Cup or RLC would have been my choice for the Scalpel. It would have dropped the weight by nearly a pound too..

mtbr member
    Funny Cannondale switched their Trigger line to a conventional Fox fork and shock... says a lot right!

So far I have not had reliability issues, but the proprietary stuff does get complicated sometimes. May switch to a comventional fork later... let's see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoadve View Post
    Too many failures, I was a fan of the Lefty, Habe a Jeckyll carbon 1 and a Trigger carbon 1, both failed 6 months ago, got the upgrade for free, and the Trigger fall apart and failed, oil,seals and the retainer came down the fork a month ago (been waiting to get it back but Cannondale says they are backed up).

Now the Jeckyll is leaking so much oil the front brake is all oily and not working so well.

Just ordered a Fox 36 160mm from Push, how does it compare to the Lefty?
    I really liked the Lefty but waiting a month for a repair that is not even going to be covered under warranty is too much, and soo many failures one after another .
    Its not a downgrade, you'll be in good hands with Push and the feel will probably be better.

mtbr member
    I prefer the 36's to the 160 lefty, it just feels a better fork in more situations to me..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Those are good new

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I still love the 100 and 120mm travel Lefry's. They are generally bulletproof. But personally for a long travel fork, put a Pike on it .
    Even the 2018 Lyrik is now much improved.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Just a flesh wound
    My friend finally gave up on his Scalpel and went with a Fuel to get away from Cannondale. His Lefty was a nightmare and C'Dale did not respond in a timely manner, nor did anything they did fix the reliability issue.

Sad, especially as I have the older, booted Lefty Max 140 and it has always been solid.

BRING BACK THE BOOT YOU BUNCH OF FOOLS!!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Why, when they can make so much money repairing them all the time and blaming the customer for not being timely with maintenance and upkeep?

Made better by locking out any and all dealers and service centers from doing the work, so they are the sole source for service?

Brilliantly played if you ask me. Same way Walmart runs all other businesses out of town.

Oh wait, they sell Pacific, huh. Wonder where they got the idea from.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm quite happy that fox and rock shox have upped their game with respect to forks, torsional stiffness specifically. Although nothing is as stiff as a Lefty in this regard the better suspension feel and tuning options outstrips the performance gains of the Lefty chassis.
    And with only the distributor able to service the fork and the marketing driven to capture a very different client Base than what cannondale built its brand on, burning their hands is definitely where they're headed.
    Post 2010 cannondale is a very different company to what was before. And clearly not as innovative anylonger.

Said marketed to client base being people with more $ than brains?

Seems so. Those folks are willing to spend endlessly, rather than demand products that function well and with only a modicum of expense for service and upkeep, over the long haul...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Just a flesh wound
    The maintenance schedule would have me bringing the bike to the shop every 6 or 8 weeks. That's crazy.

Precisely.

Hey, news flash, if profits are down, engineer them in!

The CEO of Dorel needs to fuel that corporate jet somehow if they want to get to their vacation home(s) on time for surf and turf....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Said marketed to client base being people with more $ than brains?

Seems so. Those folks are willing to spend endlessly, rather than demand products that function well and with only a modicum of expense for service and upkeep, over the long haul...
    Bingo

Just a flesh wound
    They better hurry up and convert their stock to cash before it crashes.

Craig, like you I have a business. The only way it works is when the customers are as happy as I am. I am happy when we are making money and the customer is happy. Simple formula but it is the truth.

Dorel will kill the brand eventually. Sad. I love my Prophet.