mtbr member
    May 2004

Does the prophet exhibit any pedal bob?

Does the Prophet exhibit any pedal bob either seated or standing, what about on climbs?
    It seems everyone is staying there is no bob at all, but what about climbing in the small chainring -- still none? Or is there some -- buts its so little that you either don't notice it or it not worth making a big deal about. The single pivot design is basically relying on shock to cancel out any rider induced forces? I am considering a Prophet 1000 with the 3-way swinger shock. How would people compare the plushness and feel of the prophet rear suspension with that of an FSR design or even the new giant Mastro - Trance design.

I have not had a chance to try one out on the trail yet -- I am hoping the cannondale demo trailer will be passing through town soon based on what my dealer is telling me.

Thanks for any input.

Unit 91
    Havent had any on the uphills at all. When I am standing a cranking down on the pedals, the suspension moves a lot, but I think that was because I didnt have enough pressure in my rear shock. I like mine to have more PSI in the main chamber, then a little bit in the SPV. The SPV is what determines the pedal bob.
    Bikes

Out riding my Scalpel

BOB who?!?!?

I ride a Scalpel and get no bob at all. I raced last night and put the hammer down on my Scalpel and we had some really nice climbs where I got out of the saddle and pushed it. It hammered great. The DH was even better. Just to let everyone know the bike out lasted me last night. That Scalpel just wants to go. RP3 Pro Pedal, it works! Go Cannondale!!!

Unit 91
    Right there with you on the Go Cannondale! part.....but I'll stick with my Prophet. Haha
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    pretty much every full suspension bike is going to bob if you are standing up and stomping in the granny ring.
    but climbing in the granny ring while seated, i have noticed no bob. my shock is a tad on the firm side at the moment, but most people will say very little or no bob at all.
    but, you'll get to experience the prophet first-hand on your demo

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you rode an FSR you may find the ride a bit different, any single pivots in your history? Other than that big difference in actuation style/feel, the Prophet ride amazingly different from the Jekyll/SuperV thing. You stand up to climb, it no longer squats under foot, very cool. Like stated above though, any full on stomping in the small ring will produce some bobbing, but not enough to worry about. This bike will amaze you. Rock on!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My experience so far has been on a scalpel, a test ride on a gary fisher cake (single pivot, I believe) and a Titus Moto-lite (FSR design).

The Titus was super smooth and plush, the cake did not feel right (the rear shock was not set to my body weight - so it was too firm).

I realize that I need to ride everything to know what it best for me. The FSR design of the moto-lite and even the single pivot of the Prophet are basically fully active designs that rely on the shock to prohibit bob. Then on the other end you have something like the Giant trance which adds the mastro linkage to try to firm things up in the rear. Am I right here?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    If you rode an FSR you may find the ride a bit different, any single pivots in your history? Other than that big difference in actuation style/feel, the Prophet ride amazingly different from the Jekyll/SuperV thing. You stand up to climb, it no longer squats under foot, very cool. Like stated above though, any full on stomping in the small ring will produce some bobbing, but not enough to worry about. This bike will amaze you. Rock on!

mtbr member
    i just brought a prophet today, i rode around the block no pedal bob at all, but i have to see what happens on the trials. is everyone using what is recommended on the manitou 3way and lefty evolve with manitou internals, i am curious i wiegh about 220lbs with a large bike with a black spring in the lefty and ride mostly xc, what are people settings like after riding it a bit with my same wieght?

Unit 91
    Yes but I usually go about 20 PSI over what I want with my shock pump because of the air release when un-screwing it. The SPV is a very niced feature though.
    Bikes

Fogger
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet
    Yes but I usually go about 20 PSI over what I want with my shock pump because of the air release when un-screwing it. The SPV is a very niced feature though.
    The air release that you are hearing is from the pump, and not the shock itself. The valve in the shock has already closed before the pressure is released from the pump. If you reconnect the pump to the shock, the shock pump is pressurised by the shock, and the pressure in the shock drops.

I just hapenned to buy the dirt magazine Fundamentals dvd the other day, and the suspension setup chapter refers to the pressure loss, and says that you should ignore it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Dont (Always) believe what you read !

Fogger...the pressure release issue is totally pump/valve dependant and some work better than others and some won't work with SPV at all. My old Fox pump will definately NOT accurately deliver the right pressure into the SPV and always realeases air from the shock in an uncontrolled fashion when removiong the pump. It worked fine for the main chamber of my Fox RS Float, but impossible to get an accurate level on my Manitou SPV. It is totally dependent on the speed with which I could undo the pump from the shock.

What you really need is an appropriately designed pump with a 2 stage release. ie, first when pressure is achieved you can close the valve before removing the pump. Then in a second step removing the pump. Yes you will always have a pressure release but in my description above it will be guaranteed to be from the pump and not from the shock with the appropriately designed pump.

I can only guess its an issue of the valve stem height. A slight variation is likely to be the difference between success and failure as I dont see practically how it should work for a main chamber and wont for my spv.

Also due to air volume size in the spv chamber (small vs main chamber) a little loss in an SPV is % ways much bigger vs the same loss in the main chamber.
    R.I.P 26ers....